Your way of doing IEM mixes

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Your way of doing IEM mixes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of HalfBakedPotato HalfBakedPotato 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HalfBakedPotato
    HalfBakedPotato
    Participant

Still enjoying learning the new board but now I am looking at the best way of implementing IEMs.

In an ideal world, the guys on stage would be happy with a dry mix fed off each of their relative aux. If they wanted some fx – maybe some reverb to make the mix less isolated, what’s the best way (or your preferred way) of doing it?

I’ve been looking into creating some groups and outputting to various matrix mixes to pipe some of the FOH mix in but am not convinced by the mix that I have been getting in my tests… Is there a way of patching an aux into one of the 8 fx busses and getting what I need from that – or am I missing something?

(Sorry, you can probably tell I’m new to digital boards and a lack of tangeable outboard is currently tripping me up!)

Profile photo of smorgan223
    smorgan223
    Participant

There are a couple of ways that I can see you accomplishing your goal here. The first is to insert an FX unit directly on the Aux(s) you want to have FX on. That way you can dial in different settings depending on what the artist likes in their mix. Since I don’t own a console, I don’t know if you can multi-insert one FX unit. You could also set up a couple of FX units just for Auxes, and mix them much in the same manner you would mix the FX for FOH. The FX short returns can be included in each of the Aux mixes just like individual channels therefore giving you the ability to have separate FOH and Monitor FX mixes.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Scott

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Do you have enough FX processors to have one reverb for each mix?

Say FX slots 1, 2, 3 and 4 are free and you’re doing 4 mixes. feed fx return 1 to mix 1, feed fx return 2 to mix two etc…

If mix 3 wants reverb on the lead vocal just turn up the lead vocal in fx mix 3.

If you only have one free fx slot use this as “monFX” and feed it’s return to all the mixes. In this situation if one person wants reverb on the snare, everyone gets snare reverb, even if they don’t have any dry snare in their mix. You can of course change the send level of the FX return to each mix.

Chris

HalfBakedPotato
    Participant

thanks for the responses so far – as for numbers of fx processors, no, at the moment, I have 13 auxes!

What you mention about having a “monFX” is what I’m looking for. I just can’t figure out how to route that at moment! I can’t figure out how to route the output from a fx back to multiple auxes… any pointers? I have currently got each mix on seperate auxes.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Think about the signal flow of it. How do you get anything into the auxes? You press “MIX” on that aux and you turn it up (assign it too if necessary). Do this with the FX return.

Chris

HalfBakedPotato
    Participant

Durr… of course. I shall give it a go later and let you know how I get on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.