Option to connect two surfaces to one mix rack…

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Option to connect two surfaces to one mix rack…

This topic contains 25 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of benmannell benmannell 11 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

@clarocque – question B:Yes I do also! I would like to see a “controller only” boot mode so that a second surface could connect to a single mixrack with surface to provide more real faders/controls –

I was so focused on the FOH-MON split that I forgot about this possibility :-)

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

Got to do some testing… works exactly the way I need it too…

The R72 worked as a sidecar and allowed the PAFL to fire down the same audio as the main mixer.

I have not run in to any issue with master/slave surface… my T112 is connected to the mix rack via ace making the audio expansion, while the R72 works as a great sidecar controller… very happy…

Hopefully this is a feature A&H leaves in.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by clarocque

Got to do some testing… works exactly the way I need it too…

The R72 worked as a sidecar and allowed the PAFL to fire down the same audio as the main mixer.

I have not run in to any issue with master/slave surface… my T112 is connected to the mix rack via ace making the audio expansion, while the R72 works as a great sidecar controller… very happy…

Hopefully this is a feature A&H leaves in.

So you mean it works… that’s interesting. I’m thinking about new ideas…[:D]

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Profile photo of Barni
    Barni
    Participant

so if it works, how do you connect it and so on?

/Barni

T-80
    iDR-32
    PL-6
    iPad-MacMini-MacBookPro

clarocque
    Participant

For me…

My first test:
    Mix Rack 1 <-> T112
    Mix Rack 2 <-> T112
    Both racks patched together via DANTE using mix rack 1 as the master
    Both racks patched together vi network (of course need to config IP addresses accordingly)
    Then I simply went in to utilities in the R72 and change it from Mix Rack 2 to Mix Rack 1
    That worked fine….

Second test:
    Disconnected the R72 ACE from Mix Rack 2, and simply connected R72 in to the network of Mix Rack 1. Removed Mix Rack 2 from the equation all together…
    Also worked

clarocque
    Participant

@A&H, should this not work?

Has been stable in testing, but love to here from the company if this is not reliable…

T112, R72, iDR48 w/M-DANTE (2), PL10, MixPad, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by clarocque

@A&H, should this not work?

Has been stable in testing, but love to here from the company if this is not reliable…

I guess it’s not recommended.

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

clarocque
    Participant

How did you come up with that conclusion?

clarocque
    Participant

One thing I did not test was scenes… need to test that too I guess… see exactly how that works

clarocque
    Participant

I would like to see some more feedback from A&H…

Re-reading this, I guess might be more of an issue with modular.. but a technical clarification of (even if only to relating to T112 & R72): A. reliability, B. If it will cause any damage, C. If it will continue to be possible at least at it’s current level.

I understand why many feel it is not the best option for FOH/MON (and I agree for that)… my needs for this was to set up a sidecar.

I didn’t play around a lot with boot order, but the few things I did seemed to be whatever surface was in the ACE handled the surface audio. The PAFL functioned on the sidecar, and the PAFL metering seemed to follow the main surface PAFL output.

Again, for my need (as it relates to this post) was for a sidecar and getting more control on top layer at one time. Like a tactile editor with access to mix, PAFL, processing etc.

quote:

Hi All,

Firstly – you are all correct. The control of the stage box(es) are done over TCP/IP (either thru an ACE tunnel, or directly via Ethernet, etc.). So the networking of control messages is not a problem – and not too dissimilar to using Editor or MixPad. The problems come with the surface audio, obviously there is only 1 PAFL bus, so that would need to be shared (without doing major changes to the architecture), and similarly with talkback. It would be reasonably OK to say the 2nd surface has no talkback and shares the PAFL, but there are other audio issues. One of the major problems is that the Surface PreAmp type (analogue / digital / dual analogue) depends upon what surface is connected and what card(s) are fitted to them, in the case of modular iLive, this information is Tx’d to the stage box on connection. To simplify things you could designate a “Primary” and secondary surface, with only the primary surface being able to supply audio inputs to the rack, but this starts to get complex as the non-primary surface may be switched on first and if this is because the primary is about to be switched on, then fine, but if we now intend it to be used as a single surface, this would need a clear message to the user so as not to confuse (think hire stock here). This connection order problems become vast when you have dual stage boxes as well! Due to these complexities, and the relatively small number of requests for this functionality we decided not to add the feature. I may be worth noting that V1.9 did add some of the work that would be necessary for dual surface. If you point 2 surfaces at a single stage box then you now get individual control of processing (i.e. the sel buttons work independently), which they didn’t in V1.8.

Antony Jackson
    Software Manager
    Allen & Heath Limited

T112, R72, iDR48 (2), iDR16 all w/M-DANTE, PL10, MixPads, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini,PC
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10/Reaper
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of benmannell
    benmannell
    Participant

I accidentally just connected two surfaces to one mix rack – I was pretty confused for a moment, but when moving a fader on one surface moved the same channel fader on the other surface I got pretty excited. I assumed this was a new 1.9 feature, but it’s not listed in the release notes? I haven’t done any testing but it seems stable.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.