Maxing out Mix Config & DSP usage

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Maxing out Mix Config & DSP usage

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of millst millst 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

Does maxing out Buses, Mix Outputs and FX during mix config utilize more dsp or resources (as it relates to performance) verses leaving some available?

I ask because, we all know changing the config during a show is not good, so trying to determine if I should set up extra groups, matrix, aux etc ahead of time for different bands in a festival. But curious if it is wasting resources if they are not needed all of the time or if being maxed on outputs will slow anything else down (ie surface etc).

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

no, the iLive is capable of allocating every single resource, processor and capability up to its maximum limit with no impact on performance.

very few mixers have this limitation now, it was a problem with earlier / cheaper digital mixers.

Profile photo of Mikey
    Mikey
    Participant

It never hurts to have an extra aux, group, or FX set up just in case. Anything to prevent you from having to make configuration changes on the fly. Config changes are even a pain during warm-ups, etc. I’ve made changes and had loss of audio for up to 2 minutes…

Yes, I realize that you will lose audio on config changes. It just seems that sometimes the audio loss is longer than others.

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

The time it takes seems to depend on how substantial the change is from the current config.

The iLive seems to do some smart things to minimize the impact of a re-config. The easy option would be to completely rebuild the mixer everytime, but it seems to do some sort of delta reconfiguration which is damn clever and must have taken some serious coding.

It still blows me away this is even possible, and while it is easy to do, one should not forget that under the hood there are some majorly serious things going on in the engine room when a re-configuration takes place.

It is certainly not something that should occur anywhere near the pointy end of a show for this reason and this is why I always use all resources to the maximum so that I have 2 or 3 spare of every type of bus I might need for a show.

I wouldn’t recommend leaving any buses spare in the config otherwise one day it could come back to bite you and it certainly won’t improve system performance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.