ME personal mixing system

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions ME personal mixing system

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by nicola

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

If this were true, fixed MixRack users that already have Dante installed in port 2, could also benefit from ME1 without a major investment in an extra Dante option card + ME-U.

Fixed format iLive does not allow to route any audio to the integrated ACE port (except surface local I/O, PFL and TB). You can use ME-1 on Port A ACE of modular iLive though.

Nicola
    A&H

Nicola, in the news section, I found this:
    https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/News/Pages/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsId=672

quote:

An iLive iDR-16 MixRack was employed as a system management hub for the multiple ME mixers, using the Rack’s MADI interface to connect to the main monitor mixer. 40 channels of MADI fed the iDR-16 giving access to a full blown iLive DSP system if adjustments were needed to the MADI stream.
    The iDR-16 was controlled using iLive Editor leaving the ACE connection free to feed the ME-1’s.

How does this go with what you said earlier?
    Since a fixed rack only has one slot and this was used for MADI, this seems that the integrated ACE-port was used, isn’t it?
    I’m very very interested!!

If this works out-of-the-box, I would strongly consider of connecting my surface via network and use the ACE-port to drive some ME’s !!

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by woutert
    How does this go with what you said earlier?
    Since a fixed rack only has one slot and this was used for MADI, this seems that the integrated ACE-port was used, isn’t it?
    I’m very very interested!!

If this works out-of-the-box, I would strongly consider of connecting my surface via network and use the ACE-port to drive some ME’s !!

Hi Woutert,

You can cheat the iDR by preparing a Show offline with Editor. Start with an iDR0 or iDR10 and a modular Surface equipped with output modules. This way you can patch signals to Port A 33-62, and to the Surface outputs which would effectively go out of Port A 1-32.

Since ME-1 will pick up channels 21-60, your patch to ME-1 would be the Surface outputs 21-32 and Port A outputs 33-60.

When the Show file is loaded into a fixed format iDR the Port A patch will stay in place until any overwrite is made. Hence ME-1 will work.

However this is not a recommended nor supported setup. Changes to the Show file or output routing, as well as Scene recalls might compromise the patch to ME-1.

It’s a workaround which happened to be useful in a few permanent installations where access to the iDR was limited once the initial setup made. I would discourage this approach in a live situation.

Hope this clarifies,

Nicola
    A&H

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Very interesting!

I hadn’t really considered the logical infrastructure underlying the iLive types and the network protocol on that level. I assume that there are practical reasons for A&H not to publish this information, as it could lead to all sorts of unsupported configurations.

All the same, it might be helpful to have an editor “expert” mode that would allow reconfiguration or reassignment for a variety of scenarios for those able to digest the information.

Perhaps there are marketing as well as support reasons for not getting into that level of detail. It would open up all sort of ways to mess up your configurations. However, it would be useful to know what show/scene/editing features would interrupt a configuration put together this way.

I have to assume that the fixed format selections in the editor are “pre-wired” ACE configurations and under the hood are much more configurable than one would initially assume. I hadn’t really thought about it that way, but it makes sense.

Added:

I took a closer look at the iLive system block diagram which shows more about how this all fits together. I’ll have to study more closely
    to understand how one might use this information.

iDr48/T-112/MADI/Dante

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by nicola

…You can cheat the iDR by preparing a Show offline with Editor…

Thanks for the info. That also answers my question if there was a hardware restriction, which there isn’t.

Any chance you might consider adding this possibility to the firmware?

I mean, adding the possibility of patching to ACE1 port ch33-64 and also listing the ACE1 ch number next to the surface out…

I’m quite sure that I’m not the only one that might be interested.
    ME is very interesting, unless you’re obliged to buy and install an extra Dante Card and a ME-hub.

Especially for people that already work without surface. Quite sure, you’d create an extra market for ME-1 users.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.