Can you route DCA’s through Main L/R?

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Can you route DCA’s through Main L/R?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bigbean bigbean 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

We are demo’ing a GLD and have never used a digital mixer (currently using A&H GL 3300).

I’m pretty sure I know the difference between a DCA and subgroup, but we could not figure out how to route several inputs to a single DCA and only use the DCA to control the volume sent to the mains.

Side question, why would you ever use groups instead of DCAs?

Rick Kohrs
    Good Shepherd Lutheran Church – West Campus
    Verona, WI

Profile photo of cctrieloff
    cctrieloff
    Participant

You can’t route through a DCA, it is not a bus.

You assign Channels to the DCA, select the DCA, click processing, and then routing, add the channels you want. You can also do it starting with the channel.

Note that a channel can be assigned to more than one DCA.

enjoy
    Carl.

Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

>You can’t route through a DCA, it is not a bus.
    Sorry really green here – subgroups are buses?

>You assign Channels to the DCA, select the DCA, click processing, and >then routing, add the channels you want. You can also do it starting >with the channel.
    We did the assignment by selecting mix on the DCA, pressed and held the assign button and then the mix on the channel desired. I don’t have the board infront of me – are you suggesting something different?

>Note that a channel can be assigned to more than one DCA.
    So you cannot assign more than channel to a subgroup?

Appreciate the help.

Rick Kohrs
    Verona, WI

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by GSLC-Tech
    Side question, why would you ever use groups instead of DCAs?

If you want to do any processing (EQ, dynamics, or an insert of some sort) on your subgroup you need to sum the signals in a bus (group or aux) rather than use a DCA.

With my church’s old analog board, with only four channels of compression in the rack, I tended to throw compression on subgroups fairly frequently, just to get compression on all the channels where I wanted it. I’ve never actually used groups or auxes for subgroups on the GLD since the dynamics on the input channels and DCAs for level controls have done everything I want… so far anyway.

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by GSLC-Tech

>You can’t route through a DCA, it is not a bus.
    Sorry really green here – subgroups are buses?

>You assign Channels to the DCA, select the DCA, click processing, and >then routing, add the channels you want. You can also do it starting >with the channel.
    We did the assignment by selecting mix on the DCA, pressed and held the assign button and then the mix on the channel desired. I don’t have the board infront of me – are you suggesting something different?

>Note that a channel can be assigned to more than one DCA.
    So you cannot assign more than channel to a subgroup?

Appreciate the help.

Rick Kohrs
    Verona, WI

groups, auxes, matrix, and L/R are all different forms of buses, each a little different. DCA acts more like an extra, remotely controlled fader on whatever channels it’s assigned to.

To expand a bit on Carl’s directions:
    -push the “select” button on the DCA to bring it up on-screen (you need to be in “processing” mode, that button is to the right of the screen).
    -Go to the “routing” tab on the screen.
    -Assign inputs and whatever else you’d like to the DCA from screen.

It’s possible to do it with the mix buttons as you’ve attempted but the screen is waaay more intuitive (plus you can see all the inputs at once that way).

You can assign as many inputs to a group (or aux) as you’d like.

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

In church soundguy speak:

A DCA is just a remote control (master) to which you assign members (slaves – things to be controlled by one master slider or button)

Slaves can belong to more than one master – but it can confuse the slaves and make them unpredictable.

Can I get an Amen?!

Like the song says, You got to serve somebody![:D]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.