iLive T-Systems with PL-6 Controller- NO GOOD

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions iLive T-Systems with PL-6 Controller- NO GOOD

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gerger Gerger 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of john@eartsinc
    john@eartsinc
    Participant

I’ve been attempting to use a PL-6 controller with an iDR48-T112 combo for quite sometime now, just to add some quicker access to some important faders on the console. The problem is that the PL-6 controller loses connection to the mix-rack regularly (every 5-10 seconds) then reconnects. This make for quite the headache when try to program, or use at all.
    1.) I first thought that it could be a cat5 cable issue. Changed the cable- no dice.
    2.) Next I tried ruling out the length of the Cat5 cable being a problem; Tried 4 lengths,
    300′, 100′, 50′, 6′. Both shielded and un-shielded- no dice.
    3.) Next I tried to see if I had a bad PL-6, luckily we are a production/install firm and
    have access to extra of everything A&H :) – Tried 3 different PL-6 controllers- no
    dice.
    4.) Next we tried ruling out the possibility of a firmware bug. Tried on 1.83 & 1.9- Same
    issues- no dice.
    5.) Next we tried swapping mix racks- Tried 3 different iDR48’s- Same issues- no dice.
    6.) Next we tried swapping out for a different model of mix racks- Tried an iDR16-
    Same issues- no dice.

This problem does not occur with a PL-10. Anyone else havin this issue? Thanks.

John
    System Integrator
    Entertainment Arts Inc.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

I’d go with a couple of MIDI faders instead. Easy to program with the learn function.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

We use a PL-6 with no issues at all. Our pl-6 controls several faders, mutes and even some scene recalls for our iDR16

112T/IDR48/IDR16

john@eartsinc
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

I’d go with a couple of MIDI faders instead. Easy to program with the learn function.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

I agree. That is the next step. Thanks!

John
    System Integrator
    Entertainment Arts Inc.

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Hey Kent
    What type of cat5 cables are you using? I wonder if it requires shielded.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

kentlowt
    Participant

I will need to check but, if I recall it is a standard Cat5 cable. The length is less than 10 feet. I go back in Friday and will check into which cable we are using. We made the cable from a roll of cat 5 we had for running from the mix rack to a router at FOH.

quote:

Originally posted by gilparente

Hey Kent

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of AndyH
    AndyH

Hi John,

Do you know what colour the top LED goes on the PL device when the problem occurs? That might help us understand what’s going wrong.

Does the problem happen with any show loaded? Have you tried loading one of the template shows just in case?

If that doesn’t work, perhaps it’s worth contacting A&H Technical Support (https://www.allen-heath.com/uk/support/pages/support.aspx), as they may be able to help.

Cheers,

Andy
    A&H

kentlowt
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by kentlowt

I will need to check but, if I recall it is a standard Cat5 cable. The length is less than 10 feet. I go back in Friday and will check into which cable we are using. We made the cable from a roll of cat 5 we had for running from the mix rack to a router at FOH.

quote:

Originally posted by gilparente

Hey Kent

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

112T/IDR48/IDR16

It is a cat5 cable solid core. It didn’t look shielded. I tried to read the numbers off the cable but I forgot my glasses >.<

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of nissse
    nissse
    Participant

According to the pl-6 user guide AP5197 page 2, section “Grounding” The exposed metal panels are grounded through the PL-Anet cable shield. It’s also reads: Use flame retardent CAT5 STP (shielded twisted pair) RJ45 cables.

Well there I sounded like a school teacher, but we don’t have any problems with our pl-6, but we always use a shielded cable.

https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?filename=DocumentMaster/uk/pl-6_ug_ap5197_4.pdf

MobileMusic
    iDR-48, iDR-16, xDR-16 T112, T80
    PL-6, MixPad, Tweek, OneMix

john@eartsinc
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH

Hi John,

Do you know what colour the top LED goes on the PL device when the problem occurs? That might help us understand what’s going wrong.

Does the problem happen with any show loaded? Have you tried loading one of the template shows just in case?

If that doesn’t work, perhaps it’s worth contacting A&H Technical Support (https://www.allen-heath.com/uk/support/pages/support.aspx), as they may be able to help.

Cheers,

Andy
    A&H

Andy,

The LED color turns red very quickly, then back to green. It’s intermittent. I wish I could use shielded Cat5. But the install distance is about 150′-175′ of Cat5E. I will try a short piece of shielded cat5 close to the mix-rack, but it won’t solve my issues. I did contact A&H tech support here in the U.S with American Music and Sound, but no success. Thanks.

John
    System Integrator
    Entertainment Arts Inc.

Profile photo of papromike
    papromike
    Participant

John, you could have a bad PL6 have you tried a different one? and see if that fixes it?

Or the PSU in the PL-anet network could be funky. That is also 20V over Cat 5 and RS485 on that leg.

I always use CATE 5E sheided cable, but again, sounds like it might be a hardware issue.

Ive got 2 PL6’s in my church on an iDR64 and it runs fine all day long… we use it on a regular basis.

Vice President of Sales
    Allen & Heath USA

Profile photo of nissse
    nissse
    Participant

Well now I got problems with my PL-6.
    The RJ-45 input connector seems to have some bended pins.
    I bought some new and I’ll think I’m going to change them this weekend.

Christian

MobileMusic
    iDR-48, iDR-16, xDR-16, T112, T80
    PL-6, MixPad, Tweek, OneMix

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Seems as Shielded Cable for PL6 is required. Thinking a little about how those faders work, it makes sense.
    The PL10 only uses encoders, so STP is not really required.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of Gerger
    Gerger
    Participant

By the way, do you have used the terminator?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.