“for future use”

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions “for future use”

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ceejay ceejay 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

On the back of my T112 above the VGA port, there are three black covers that indicate PC Touchscreen. The iLive Manual indicates “for future use”. What is this going to be used for in the future?

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND & Airport Express

Profile photo of jabney
    jabney
    Participant

In the “Getting Started” guide, the VGA port for the T112 is in the lower left hand corner and the three ports above it are baby blue, soft pink and pale green – the same colors and (presumably) sizes used for the built-in audio on a motherboard.

As a point of interest (at least to me) the guide’s illustration for the newer R72 has the three pastel plugs far-left also but they are higher up and instead of being above the VGA port, they are above the far-left USB ports. Meanwhile the VGA port has migrated inboard of the USB ports. And now the back-panel image for the T112 (on this website) shows a similar tri-pastel, USB and VGA arrangement as that of the R72.

Note that in all the illustrations I’ve seen, the three mini-trs ports have been the same pastel colors and with no covers. The venue I’m involved with just received its T112 and we haven’t taken it out of the carton yet, but I’ll be sure to look.

From what I read here: https://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=857 I’m guessing those three ports are probably not for a touch-screen.

best,

john

Strange that a harp of thousand strings should keep in tune so long

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

That’ll almost definitely be the case, being the original SBC’s onboard audio.

Any touchscreen capability would come from USB, and that would in turn depend on drivers being both available and installed.

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

Unfortuneatly, I cannot upload an image of it, but on the back of my T112 console it reads “Touchscreen PC Audio”. Line in, Mic in, & Mic Out are the three ports. They are located above the left USB port, (I was incorrect initially on the locale)

I have not removed the black cover caps, but I was hoping someone from A&H would maybe chime in and comment as to the what the intent or purpose is for these ports.
    I have had this console for two and a half years. Will it serve a purpose in 5 years?

(A) When will “For future use” actually turn into current use?

(B) If it is not going to be used for anything in the future, I would certainly like to find out what the manufacturer was thinking.

What would you tell a client if asked…”how does the touchscreen PC audio work on this console”?

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core

Profile photo of jabney
    jabney
    Participant

quote:

(B) If it is not going to be used for anything in the future, I would certainly like to find out what the manufacturer was thinking.

This is speculation on my part, but A&H was probably thinking of saving a little money (and passing the savings on to the consumer) by controlling the touchscreen with an off-the-shelf motherboard.

What would you want as a future use for those three 1/8″ ports? Then there’s probably a way to do it, but why?

best,

john

Strange that a harp of thousand strings should keep in tune so long

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jabney
    What would you want as a future use for those three 1/8″ ports? Then there’s probably a way to do it,

That is a good question.
    I just want to explain it to a customer or client, rather then say, ” I don’t know” when asked how the pc touchscreen audio works. I had a client ask why the manufacturer built 1/8″ ports and labeled the area specific to a PC touchscreen, and without knowing its potential or purpose, giving an educated answer or reason was a little tough. I don’t want to make sh&t up and lose credibility for my business or the brand itself.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

In the Future these ports will be used to connect directly to a ADHBI (Allen&heath Direct Human Brain Interface) so that you can hear the audio directly without headphones and even be able to control the touch screen computer just by wanting things to sound better. WOW!

Seriously? Just ignore those ports – pretty sure they are just the onboard audio built into the Touchscreen PC motherboard and my guess is that they will not be used ever! Why would you want to anyway as they will just be low quality PC unbalanced stereo audio line in/out and a crappy mic input! It’s most likely the only reason they are even there is so that the other motherboard USB and monitor ports can be accessed and it would be far cheaper/easier for A&H to just have 3 holes in the chassis than to have to remove the onboard audio sockets!
    Perhaps they should have been labeled “Possible Future Use – but not Likely!!!” or just a simple “Not Used” would do. SO – if you EVER get asked “how does the touchscreen PC audio work on this console”? -The answer is of course – Very Very Quietly!!! Haha!!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

There are certainly creative answers and amusing conjecture…seriously, yes!
    Legitimate question that has been asked on three occasions.
    I meet with passionate professionals that make purchasing decisions on equipment either rental, install, whatever the case maybe…the question may be too important to be dismissed in a flippant way.
    If the manufacturer had a future vision during development, i see no reason to share that vision with the customer. Things change rapidly, and the intent may be obsolete, I know. Being factual sells jobs and equipment in my model.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.