DCAs and ganged faders

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions DCAs and ganged faders

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If I have 4 channels with faders ganged and I assign one of those channels to a DCA and then I move that DCA, what happens?

Chris

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

The faders do not move. The faders establish the maximum level. Since the faders of all channels are ganged the maximum level is the same for all. The channel assigned to the DCA can be viewed as a control for the percentage of the maximum set by the fader. Turn down the DCA and the output of all channels assigned to the DCA go down by the percentage set by the DCA

I quickly set this up on my iLive using 4 matrix channels, ganged the faders, and assigned one of the four to a DCA. Assigned the signal generator to all four matrix channels. Turning down the DCA controlled the output on the matrix assigned to it. No change to the output for the other channels or any of the faders except the DCA.

iDr48/T-112/MADI/Dante

Profile photo of xjcsa
    xjcsa
    Participant

Sorry, a little clarification: the faders don’t establish a “maximum” level, because DCAs can be above 0 dB. The fader level and any DCAs it’s assigned to are summed to determine the effective fader level for that channel.

The DCA will only affect the other channels in the gang if they are also assigned to the DCA – and I believe if you have chosen to include “routing” in the ganged attributes, assigning one of the channels will assign all of them.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Thanks, that helps me get my head around the “signal flow” of the DCA’s.

Chris

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by xjcsa

Sorry, a little clarification: the faders don’t establish a “maximum” level, because DCAs can be above 0 dB. The fader level and any DCAs it’s assigned to are summed to determine the effective fader level for that channel.

The DCA will only affect the other channels in the gang if they are also assigned to the DCA – and I believe if you have chosen to include “routing” in the ganged attributes, assigning one of the channels will assign all of them.

Yes, I suppose “maximum” was a poor choice of words, but I was thinking relative to 0. I suppose it would be more accurate to suggest it’s a percentage of the channel setting where percentage can go above 100% if you go above 0.

iDr48/T-112/MADI/Dante

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.