Discounts on MixApp?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Discounts on MixApp?

This topic contains 52 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Musikhof Musikhof 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

Fair point about the iLive being out of the price point of the X32 but I’m quite glad it is TBH. When I start seeing people putting the B-word on riders I’ll have another think I guess.

Having had a couple of modular iLIves for many years now I’m more than slightly worried that when iLive 2 comes out next year they will move backwards toward the MI market and away from pro touring etc. Its taken me at least five years of justifying to touring TM’s, engineers & event organisers that the iLive isn’t a GL2200 with a digital FX unit and is a whistles and bells digital soloution on a par with the rest. I’m not saying the A&H shouldn’t cover the market but the name is still slightly tainted by the MI end of the market who ask questions like what is a n aux & help all my EQ’s have been zeroed!

Fair enough when the baby GLD comes out maybe that’ll be cheap enough to steal some of the cheap install market off the competition but trying to say that iLive surfaces should start at £3000 is a bit like saying BMW’s should start a £10000 but with the features of a M3; totally unrealistic in my (biased) view.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what I think, I don’t own A&H!

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by shuahughes
    [
    Sadly, one of the churches who was very keen on the iLive system I proposed to them , is now leaning heavily toward an X32…. :(

It just a part of the puzzle, but honestly which costs more, providing a free app, or missing out on MixRack sales….?

Wait you’re complaining GLD is too expensive?!

The only, only manufacturer that makes digital consoles from $2k to $60k is Yamaha. Cheapest AVID is $20k, cheapest Midas is $10k, cheapest A&H is $8k.

If your client is considering an X32 reliability and feature set can’t be very important to them. I don’t mean that disparagingly, there’s plenty of churches that threat audio as an afterthought, or simply don’t need fantastic EQs or dynamics, ‘any old plugin’ will do.

A&H has never targeted that market. Their small analogue mixers are still very good quality, and still more expensive than big B’s.

GLD is 75% of iLive for 50% the cost, its an amazing deal. Anything less expensive would just be silly.

I too wish I could buy a set of Earthworks Piano Mics for $400, but I also understand why that’s never gonna happen

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by tk2k

Quote:
    If your client is considering an X32 reliability and feature set can’t be very important to them.

According to what I hear from several pro audio engineers that actually used this gear in the last months, your thoughts reflect biased (and wishful?) thinking that is quite far from reality.

A reality that’s not only disturbing to lots of audio companies but also to quite a lot of audio engineers.

That’s one the reasons to search the unique selling points of the iLive series. For instance, being able to control (parts of) the mix in parallel with several controllers at once is definitely one of them.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

According to what I hear from several pro audio engineers that actually used this gear in the last months, your thoughts reflect biased (and wishful?) thinking that is quite far from reality.

A reality that’s not only disturbing to lots of audio companies but also to quite a lot of audio engineers.

Wouter

Anyone can make a great DSP. That’s all the X32 is, they’ve taken a powerful DSP and built some cheap preamps based off a solid design. That part is quite impressive, that part isn’t what I;m concerned about.

I’ve used one, and yes, when it functions, its pretty impressive. But there’s no data on long-term reliability. People said the same thing about the Studiolive when it came out, and then those started failing. Not often, but often enough that anyone who even thinks of the phrase ‘mission critical’ wouldn’t consider it as a main console. I have complete confidence in the GLD, even an OV1. I do not have that same confidence for a SL or an X32. Maybe one day i’ll be proved wrong, when the 20k units in the field are still working fine.

Gut the one I was using failed that day. How? 8 banks of inputs would not respond, no audio signal passed, nothing. Turns out a B rep was on-site (demo event) and one of the ribbon cables had come loose in transport. Why? Because the factory forgot to glue it down.

Anyway we’re way of topic and I apologize for that, $100 for software is laughably low in this world of professional audio. I with the iPad authorization was transferable, but that’s an Apple issue. in the meantime I’m fine paying for a good product.

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of guyharris
    guyharris
    Participant
    Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

yes, of course the GLD software is free.
    the iPad software for GLD compliments the GLD, you still need to buy a GLD and take it to all your gigs. the iPad software cannot be used as a replacement for a GLD can it?

With the iLive, the iPad software can be used as a substitute for a surface. That means you could avoid buying a surface in certain applications. That makes the iPad software for iLive infinitely more valuable than the iPad software for the GLD.

iPad for GLD = Handy Tool = Free
    iPad for iLive = Possible Surface Replacement = Worth Something more than free.

Why would A&H release a free product that would reduce their sales.
    That would be stupid.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by millst

Why would A&H release a free product that would reduce their sales.
    That would be stupid.

In order to preserve the peace, let’s agree to disagree…

Wouter

Profile photo of Musikhof
    Musikhof
    Participant

Much more than the pricing i would like to have the app on Android …

IDR48 & T112, iPad, Belkin Wireless, Dante, Lenovo i5, Samplitude ProX

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.