Pop groups / fader spill

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Pop groups / fader spill

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mdsaudio mdsaudio 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

I’ve been an iLive owner since the early days but am also lucky enough to get to use many other systems aswell.

The iLive has got probably the best UI on a digital console, but one thing I have realised is how much better a multi layer console is to work on if it incorporates pop groups/fader spill(ala midas, digidesign).
    It would be a big, big plus to be able to hit select on a vca master and have the members of that group “populate” the strips on the top layer.

A&H, is there the possibility of including this in a firmware update?

It would be especially useful for bigger shows. It seems the general consensus is, “once you’ve used a desk with pop groups, you don’t want to go back to a desk without them”

Does the rest of the iLive community see the value in this?
    Would this be considered if enough of us are for the idea?
    Cheers,
    Darren

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Darren, i would love to see that implemented in a firmware update.
    We have been asking this before.
    What is more important/critical for me is the fact that for now i can’t use ipad on my XDR16/dual rack. I use the ipad a lot for monitorsmix setup.
    For the moment i can’t even consider the onemix because i cannot see all my channels.
    I think that this should be priority number one for A&H.
    better scene management and so is all nice but it is workable. ipad/expander/dual rack is not working.

If this is a hardware limitation i would like to know. Then i could sell my IDR16/XDR16 and buy a IDR32. but i hope it’s not.
    So far A&H hasn’t responded to these questions.
    It feels like a half/half system now. The ipad is great, the dualrack/expander is great but i would like to use it as it was designed.

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/2ACEcards/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

It would be a big, big plus to be able to hit select on a vca master and have the members of that group “populate” the strips on the top layer.

+1 for this

Profile photo of martijn
    martijn
    Participant

As Discussed before:

Make your own Pop/Spill groups wich are much more Flexible!

Save your current Layout in a scene
    Edit the scene and remove everything exept Bank layout.

Make your next Layout.
    Also save this in a scene (only save Bank layout)

Do this for al the “pop” groups you need.

Make the User Def keys recal the scene’s you just saved.

Now you can switch really fast between your “Pop” groups!

The advantage is :
    You can select where the group is Spilled
    You can define How the group is spilled (not from ch 1-2-3 but anyway you want)
    You can put 1 channel in more than 1 “Pop”/Spill group.
    You can also add outputs to a Spill.
    You can change the layout of the faders on the Fly!
    etc
    etc

Please understand that a lot of consoles use the Spill/Pop function because they are really unflexible with their bank layout!

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

… and the disadvantage is the surface has only 8 user keys.
    In spill mode DCA mix buttons could do the job.

ddff

mdsaudio
    Participant

Yes, this can be done by saving scenes only containing the strip layout.
    However this is only practical if there is plety of time to set up the console before the show and it is also time consuming and messy to change the members in a group. It works, but is really only a workaround and not at all an elegant solution,not something a visiting engineer could get his head around at a show.

I think the solution is much simpler. An “on/off” toggle for the option in the preferences page, and if it is set to “on”, the strips “populate” when the vca select button is pressed.

Darren

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

+1 for this feature.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

This would be an amazing feature.
    I agree you could do it in a scene BUT, if it was done dynamically when you added or removed something from a DCA, then that would save a lot of fiddling around editing scenes and saving them.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Yes would be good – but where would the channels populate to? From the far left channel strip? Remember there are multiple surface models with differing fader layouts to contend with so it could be tricky. Perhaps they could appear just to the left hand fader bank and layers only on all models?

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mdsaudio

I’ve been an iLive owner since the early days but am also lucky enough to get to use many other systems aswell.

The iLive has got probably the best UI on a digital console, but one thing I have realised is how much better a multi layer console is to work on if it incorporates pop groups/fader spill(ala midas, digidesign).

It would be especially useful for bigger shows. It seems the general consensus is, “once you’ve used a desk with pop groups, you don’t want to go back to a desk without them”

Does the rest of the iLive community see the value in this?
    Would this be considered if enough of us are for the idea?
    Cheers,
    Darren

Hi Darren,

As you know, I have an iLive (which I love) and a Midas …. and you are absolutely correct, once you have used POP or Spill groups it’s hard to go back.

Your suggestion of using the Select Button (subject to a preference page setting) for the DCAs would be great.

The Midas does POP VACs, POP Groups and also has an area B assignment as well as a compressed (POP) flip for monitors. A POP/SPILL DCA would only give you one of the Midas functions but it would still be extremely useful especially on the iLive 80 and GLD.

@Martinijn – yes you can do that, and it’s a handy function, but compared to the Midas it’s almost useless.

Peter

Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

Yes would be good – but where would the channels populate to? From the far left channel strip? Remember there are multiple surface models with differing fader layouts to contend with so it could be tricky. Perhaps they could appear just to the left hand fader bank and layers only on all models?

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

The far left fader bank, or select it as part of the preference settings. Whatever works would be fine by me.

Peter

mdsaudio
    Participant

[/quote]
    The far left fader bank, or select it as part of the preference settings. Whatever works would be fine by me.

Peter
    [/quote]

Yep, I think the far left fader bank would be logical.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.