Voice effects

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Masbrandon Masbrandon 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Masbrandon
    Masbrandon
    Participant

Hi, still learning And Experimenting With our ilive t112 at church. I’m Trying To Figure out how to make the voices sound fuller. I’ve added reverb and opened up the decay but in the individual mix of a selected vox track in the box with the threshold and other knobs… hold… are any of those able to help? I adjusted those on the drums and it helped (in a drummer so I knew what I was after and have worked with recording drums), but filling out the voices is giving me some grief. any suggestions. thanks

Brandon Waddell

Profile photo of SamanthaCoolBeans
    SamanthaCoolBeans
    Participant

Firstly try a different mic, Secondly address your system to ensure it has adequate LF.

If you still need more vocal depth then i suggest try the ADT plugin.

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

Given that you have the voices sounding as good as you can for EQ, dynamics control then FX are the next step.

reverb is generally not the answer for a fuller sound just a longer sound – a thin voice will still sound thin just hang around for longer.

ADT is a good idea, or Chorus or even a gentle flanger. Listening to things like top 40 mixes, they will often use combinations of engineering techniques to get a thicker sound some of which can be imitated live:
    – multitracking – this can be mimicked with Chorus, ADT
    – very controlled dynamics – some nice compressors in the iLive and you can group and compress again to make the vocals more blended if you want.
    – time and frequency alignment including formant shifting to get the effect of different sounding voices (not available in iLive) – the best you can do is blur using short delays / ADT, chorus / flanging
    – short reverbs (<1.0 s) like small plates can thicken the sound of a voice depending on diffusion settings etc.

Be wary that these techniques tend to make the vocals sit inside the mix more so you can start to lose them a bit in the mix if you’re not careful. you can use more for the backing vocals rather than leaders.

Have fun and try things, who knows what might work for you in your situation.

Fix the source – the voice technique or the microphone choice – is often the best technique for getting the most significant improvement.

Duncan Whitcombe
    @Dnxmirrorsounds
    Mirror Sounds & metrochurch
    Perth, Australia
    T112, iDR48x2
    http://www.mirrorsounds.com.au
    http://www.metrochurch.org.au

Profile photo of Masbrandon
    Masbrandon
    Participant

Thank you very much. A lot of good info. Definitely will be trying to implement some of this after the holiday programs. Are chorus And flange in the he list of effects on the ilive? Layering does sound like a good answer. I appreciate you taking the time to help out. This Board is really Amazing

Brandon Waddell

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.