GLD or iLive?

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD or iLive?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of byondo byondo 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dbander
    dbander
    Participant

We are replacing a Mackie TT24 (what a disaster that was…) and safely have the budget for a GLD with AR2412 and two expanders. We are just barely ($500) out of budget for an iLive T80 with iDR-32. If i can make it work, is it work the extra investment to go with the iLive system?

I’ve heard so many great things about the GLD system, and we realistically would never fill up all of the inputs on the iLive system. We are a 415 seat brand new high school PAC, doing mostly musical theatre and some small music groups. I highly doubt we’d even come close to filling the GLD, so expansion isn’t a concern – I’m concerned about sound quality, reliability, and ease of use at this point. Recommendations?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Sound quality, reliability and ease of use will be about the same, maybe very slightly better on the GLD with less features and less to go wrong (both within the electronics and with the operator [;)] ). How much of a price difference is there between both systems? iLive would give you the editor if this is valuable to you.

If you don’t need the iLive spending the price difference on better mics would certainly improve sound quality.

Chris

Profile photo of dbander
    dbander
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Chris. Our price difference right now is $800, thanks to the $1,000 in rebates we would see from the iLive system. I’m not too worried about the editor, but I AM hoping the iPad app for the GLD will come out soon. I read in another topic they were saying December… I guess we can just wait and see! I am getting down to the wire with the rebates, which is why I plan on making a commitment by the end of the year. The extra $1,000 really puts it out of our price range.

David

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I haven’t done any musical theatre, but I imagine it relys fairly heavily on scenes. As far as I know the iLive lets you get a bit more in depth with recall filters and that sort of thing so that might be worth researching.

Chris

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dbander

but I AM hoping the iPad app for the GLD will come out soon. I read in another topic they were saying December…

where have you read it? and who are “they”?

Thanks, regards.

Massimo

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

dbander –

I would consider the R72, only 8 fewer faders than the T80, fewer knobs, but I’ve not found that to be an issue.

A couple of points – first, I’ve found that when mixing on my T112, I actually perform most functions on the touchscreen, even though there are knobs and encoders available for those functions, and secondly, for the last year or so I’ve done almost all my mixing on an iPad using the mixPad app, and the R72 surface/idr32.

In any event, The R72 surface has been my go-to mixing surface for the last year, and I’ve found no problems with the fader count or compromise in the switches, encoders on the surface. I’m working primarily with live bands, 8 monitor mixes from foh, 24 channels with a 24 channel split for monitors.

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA
    T112/48 R72/32 laptop iPad Dir-815 Dante

Profile photo of dbander
    dbander
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by byondo

quote:

but I AM hoping the iPad app for the GLD will come out soon. I read in another topic they were saying December…

Thanks, regards.

Massimo

They would be A&H, and I found it on this forum. Specifically https://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2053 about halfway down.

David

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by byondo

quote:

Thanks, regards.

Massimo

They would be A&H, and I found it on this forum. Specifically https://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2053 about halfway down.

David

uhm… I read only a RobC post (the only one from A&H) where he said that “they are working on it” on September. No additional news or a December timeline.

Regards.
    Massimo

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.