Surface without ACE connection

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Surface without ACE connection

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gilparente gilparente 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

If I don’t care about local audio in/out at the surface can I use a standard network connection between mix rack and surface? I’d like to use the ACE port an an iDR-16 to connect it to another iDR over ACE for a FoH/Recording split. I don’t need local in/out on the surface for the iDR-16 so I’d like to just connect it via the network port. Possible?

Shalin Liu Performance Center
    37 Main Street
    Rockport, MA 01966
    http://www.rockportmusic.org

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

No , you can’t. The PFL is also only on the ace connection. the network ports don’t carry control signals for surface-rack connection.
    ACE is the dedicated control( and local I/O) hence Audio and Control over Ethernet. So you need ACE or DANTE to do the split (2 cards)

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/2ACEcards/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of Leon BigEars A&H
    Leon BigEars A&H

quote:

Originally posted by dshriver

If I don’t care about local audio in/out at the surface can I use a standard network connection between mix rack and surface? I’d like to use the ACE port an an iDR-16 to connect it to another iDR over ACE for a FoH/Recording split. I don’t need local in/out on the surface for the iDR-16 so I’d like to just connect it via the network port. Possible?

37 Main Street
    Rockport, MA 01966

You can connect a surface to a MixRack using network-to-network cat5.
    You will get metering and control but as Lieven says, no audio (local i/o or PAFL). If your MixRack is close to your surface you could plug your phones into that instead (or run a long cable?).
    You don’t say what your second (record) iDR is doing? has it got a surface? or if it has ACE in port-B. The system is designed to split signals between MixRacks port-B to port-B 64 channels bi-directional. Port-A is designed for the surface i/o connection and includes PAFL and TB. however 30 channels are still available to send to another ACE device. The second MixRack could receive 30 channels from your iDR16 port-A ACE BUT only via an ACE card fitted to its port-B (you cannot take external sync from port-A).

Leon A&H UK. Please do not adjust your set; normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

Thanks Leon and Lieven,

I don’t need PAFL at the recording surface. The iDR-16 for recording will be racked right beside it so I can use it for the PAFL.

I currently have a T-112, iDR-32 with Port B ACE, xDR-16. I’d like to use the 2nd port on my Port B ACE card to split to a recording console (the iDR-16/R72) and have a Dante card in the Port B on that surface. Then I’ll be recording over Dante to 2x JoeCo BBR-Dante boxes.

-d

37 Main Street
    Rockport, MA 01966

Profile photo of lody
    lody
    Participant

You can connect a surface to a MixRack using network-to-network cat5.
    You will get metering and control but as Lieven says, no audio (local i/o or PAFL). If your MixRack is close to your surface you could plug your phones into that instead (or run a long cable?).
    You don’t say what your second (record) iDR is doing? has it got a surface? or if it has ACE in port-B. The system is designed to split signals between MixRacks port-B to port-B 64 channels bi-directional. Port-A is designed for the surface i/o connection and includes PAFL and TB. however 30 channels are still available to send to another ACE device. The second MixRack could receive 30 channels from your iDR16 port-A ACE BUT only via an ACE card fitted to its port-B (you cannot take external sync from port-A).

can i connect from T surface network to Pro series network, to make 2nd control instead of using laptop?

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Sounds like you need to sell your ace card and just use Dante cards on both surfaces and be happy.
    You should be able to use Dante on the PortB of the XDr16 and split to the other console as well.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.