stereo input image control ver. 1.9

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions stereo input image control ver. 1.9

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jckurpius
    jckurpius
    Participant

We began using our T-80 system this past October, and the 1.9 Firmware upgrade has been implemented. As such, we literally have just a few weeks of usage logged.

Just yesterday I noticed a stereo image width control feature on stereo input channels. This was apparently part of the 1.9 firmware upgrade (it turns out, as described in the press releases, etc.).

The “width” feature is somewhat self-explanatory, where “stereo” means the L and R sides are separated and the pan controls the “balance” between them, and “mono” means that there is equal L and R in both channel, an effective “mono sum.”

I am more curious about the dropdown menu options, L/R, L, R, M/S L pol/R etc. What do they mean?

I am hoping they do what I really want to do. Background: we mix our room as a simple mono mix, and we record a stereo post-fader aux mix. One of our instruments is a Hammond organ, which is dual-mic for a stereo image (Aviom monitoring as well as the stereo recording). We send one channel to the Main Mono mix. Currently, the faders are ganged (one is “buried” below). The “problem,” and it hasn’t been much of a problem yet, is that the ganging does not apply to the Aux Rec Send fader. So, if the Hammond needs to be dropped or raised slightly in the Rec Mix, as opposed to the Room Mix, than one has to remember to adjust both AUX faders. In the heat of the moment, one may forget (already happened).

With this imaging now available, will one of the dropdowns solve this issue? In other words, is there a dropdown that would send ONLY the L side of the stereo to the MAIN MONO, but the channel would still remain fully stereo for the AUX REC STEREO mix? That would be way cool.

I think I will experiment a little bit with an old 4 track with separated instrumentation (something like CCR’s Susie Q).

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Participant

I didn’t try the new stereo input features by now, so I can’t say anything about them.

But the ganging does apply to the aux sends, if you acticate “ROUTING” on the atributes page.

Andy

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jckurpius

The “width” feature is somewhat self-explanatory, where “stereo” means the L and R sides are separated and the pan controls the “balance” between them, and “mono” means that there is equal L and R in both channel, an effective “mono sum.”

I am more curious about the dropdown menu options, L/R, L, R, M/S L pol/R etc. What do they mean?

Stereo Channel Image: Input channels configured as stereo now include source Mode and Width control. There are 8 choices of mode including stereo L/R, reversed stereo R/L, reversed polarity on one side, mono from one side and MS decoding.

RayS

jckurpius
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Andy

I didn’t try the new stereo input features by now, so I can’t say anything about them.

But the ganging does apply to the aux sends, if you acticate “ROUTING” on the atributes page.

Andy

Tried it a while back. The “Routing” feature appears to also include all sends. Thus, if I wanted to ONLY send the L or R side of the Hammond to the main Mono mix, the other side would follow it and I would end up with an ugly summed Hammond. There is no way to UN-Mix a ganged “route.” It is true, however, that the Aux Sends Fader would be ganged.

jckurpius
    Participant

[/quote]

Stereo Channel Image: Input channels configured as stereo now include source Mode and Width control. There are 8 choices of mode including stereo L/R, reversed stereo R/L, reversed polarity on one side, mono from one side and MS decoding.

RayS
    [/quote]

The image width and function do get passed along to the stereo Aux Send. I am sure there is a good reason why.

I have decided just to sum the Hammond signals. I doesn’t sound as good as a pure mono signal would in the room, but it will do. Who knows…someone out there may prefer the more chaotic sound.

Hopefully Version 1.9.1 will have a quasi-routing button added on (I can only hope) so the image control only affects selected mixes.

Thanks for your help.

Profile photo of simonstpauli
    simonstpauli
    Participant

I have an idea for the hammond:

Have 2 channels ganged, except routing and pan.

Pan the channels left/right for recording, send to recording, do not route the channels to the mains.

Route one channel to a mono group, route the mono group to the mains.

Christian Tepfer
    Hamburg, Germany

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by simonstpauli

I have an idea for the hammond:

Have 2 channels ganged, except routing and pan.

Pan the channels left/right for recording, send to recording, do not route the channels to the mains.

Route one channel to a mono group, route the mono group to the mains.

or, why don’t use a third channel for the hammond that is a split from one of the other channels?

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.