Choosing Devices

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Choosing Devices

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of chads chads 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zeitrif
    Zeitrif
    Participant

Greetings. I’m looking to upgrade our board system. I am currently running 16 Mic Channels and need a way to look at all of our singers at once. Upon my research, I came upon iLive. Unfortunately, I do not know the correct devices to output our sound correctly to our monitors and mains.

I’m currently running a Yamaha MG32.
    What I know I need to output my sound correctly is two instrument cables going out (Choir and Keyboard+Drum Monitors), then a mono out for the mains. (https://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/mixers/mg_fx/photos.jsp)

I need to know what devices I require, and I plan to try and use the iLive Editor to view live information.

Thanks!

Profile photo of chads
    chads
    Participant

The only minor issue you’re going to run into is that all of the iDR outputs are on XLR so you’ll need to change the cabling (or just the plugs, or use adaptors) for the monitor feeds. All outs are line level.

Similarly all inputs are XLR, unless you go for the modular rack system.

If you’re on 16 channels now then you do need to consider your future needs – you don’t want to go for an iDR16 now then find you need one extra input in 6 months’ time.

iLive editor is fine for running a show, although I find that I do lose the ability to react quickly to changes compared to using a console or surface – with real faders I use a lot of muscle memory and tactile feedback to find the right controls under my fingers, without even having to look a lot of the time. With a laptop you don’t get that – the only feedback is visual.

..which reminds me.. There are some cheap and cheerful MIDI controllers around. I’ll be taking my Behringer BCF to my next mixrack+laptop gig to supplement the iLive Editor controls.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.