iLive speed

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stephenwolf stephenwolf 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BerndVP
    BerndVP
    Participant

Ok,

Correct my if I’m wrong, but am I the only person here who thinks that when you are changing settings in the ‘Mixer Preferences’ like aux out puts, groups, etc. that it takes to long ?
    I always have to wait 2 minutes before the system is again operational.
    While looking at a DiGiCo, where I worked last weekend with, it took just a few seconds.

So Allen & Heath, a upgrade of something like the GPU or HDD / FLASH to speed up this would very appreciated …

T112 – iDR48 – Dante

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

It does seem a bit long, but is also seldom needed and certainly something unlikely to be done during a show.

iDr48/T-112/MADI

Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by BerndVP

Ok,

Correct my if I’m wrong, but am I the only person here who thinks that when you are changing settings in the ‘Mixer Preferences’ like aux out puts, groups, etc. that it takes to long ?
    I always have to wait 2 minutes before the system is again operational.
    While looking at a DiGiCo, where I worked last weekend with, it took just a few seconds.

So Allen & Heath, a upgrade of something like the GPU or HDD / FLASH to speed up this would very appreciated …

T112 – iDR48 – Dante

It only takes a couple of seconds with my Midas … but … the Midas requires you to individually patch in all the new GEQs and effects after you have done this and the layout of the desk is fixed. The iLive does all of this for you, and the desk layout is flexible, so it’s doing a lot more work when you reconfigure things.

Peter

Profile photo of simonstpauli
    simonstpauli
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dburris

It does seem a bit long, but is also seldom needed and certainly something unlikely to be done during a show.

iDr48/T-112/MADI

Very unlikely as there’s a loss of audio and a lot of buss settings until you recall a scene. So it’s only a setup function.

Christian Tepfer
    Hamburg, Germany

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

The ilive is quite different from a lot of mixers in that the mix configuration allows you to build a completely different mixing desk, fully customizable.
    This is the sort of thing you do before a show so time is less important.

It’s just a case of waiting for the hardware to catch up with the software.
    The new GLD does this in a split second implying it has a much faster processor.
    I would imagine the next generation iLive will do this much quicker.

You should never ever ever do this during a show as it resets all the mix levels.

It’s the functional equivalent of unplugging an analog mixer and patching in a whole new mixer with more or less auxes or groups etc.

Profile photo of stephenwolf
    stephenwolf
    Participant

I agree that it takes a very long time. We use our system in a church and are sometimes making stereo/mono channel changes on a weekly basis depending on the stage layout that week and it is very annoying to have to wait the couple min for the change to apply while doing the stage setup and board layout leading up to rehearsal.
    I also find it very annoying that this change then resets all the aux outs for that channel to post fader and I have to remember to fix that every time or else it will bite us later on.
    We now just have several channels spread around the stage that stay set to stereo all the time so that we can minimize the board reprogramming and I think it is sad that we have to work around this annoyance.
    A stereo/mono change shouldn’t be equivalent to such a big operation. In it’s simplest form on an analog console it would just require panning the two channels and taping the faders together. That is like 10 seconds. :-)
    And I would find a “default to Pre Fader” option a life saver! Am I missing that setting somewhere?

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by stephenwolf

I
    And I would find a “default to Pre Fader” option a life saver! Am I missing that setting somewhere?

you can ” control/click” (in editor) on the auxes mix button and select all pre or any other flavour you need..also saving basic scenes of your layout works really well..

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

It does take a long time to reconfigure IPs to stereo. The quick work around is not to. Gang those channels together instead of making them stereo. Gang together everything but the pans. Then its the same as your idea on an analogue board of taping the faders together.

Shalin Liu Performance Center
    37 Main Street
    Rockport, MA 01966
    http://www.rockportmusic.org

stephenwolf
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dshriver

It does take a long time to reconfigure IPs to stereo. The quick work around is not to. Gang those channels together instead of making them stereo. Gang together everything but the pans. Then its the same as your idea on an analogue board of taping the faders together.

That is an interesting idea, I will have to keep that one in mind.

I was mainly making the point though that I don’t think the board should take 2 minutes to do what is, in it’s simplest form, ganging two inputs together like you said. I would think that operation would be a fairly quick thing. I know there is much more to it under the hood but it sure doesn’t feel like it should be such a big deal.

stephenwolf
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by RayS
    you can ” control/click” (in editor) on the auxes mix button and select all pre or any other flavour you need..also saving basic scenes of your layout works really well..

Yes, I use that shortcut each time. I was more-so asking about a DEFAULT setting. That way I don’t have to set my outputs to PRE every time I make channel changes, the board will just know that any channel reset (from a stereo to mono change, etc) will default to PRE instead of defaulting to POST.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.