Wireless problems again

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Wireless problems again

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bucks bucks 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of chads
    chads
    Participant

OK, so the wireless/MixPad experience was an absolute disaster tonight. In the same venue last month I had no problems whatsoever. Tonight I couldn’t sustain a connection for more than about 30 seconds. Unfortunately I have virtually no common setup – since the last gig I have gone from iOS 5 to 6 and iLive 1.8 to 1.9 so I can’t lay my finger on what exactly is the problem.

What I do know, however, is that MixPad is far too sensitive to network dropouts. While I’ve had many failures with MixPad, I’ve had precisely none on iLive editor, whether the laptop has been hard-wired or wireless connected. I get the impression that the MacBook IP stack is rather more resilient than the iPad one, but the dropouts on the iPad should not cause the problems that they do.

In order to try to figure out what was going on, I had the laptop ping the iPad at 1sec intervals. This gave some interesting data. Without MixPad running, the ping response time was around 50-100ms. With MixPad running the RTT drops to about 2ms – clearly MixPad reconfigures the stack to make it more responsive. At some point the iPad drops off the network. It stops responding to pings for 2-3 secs, then responds in 500ms or so before returning to normal. At this point MixPad disconnects and the ping response time returns to 50-100ms.

A comment was made in another thread that MixPad regards a data interruption of 10s as the trigger for lost connection. In my experience it only takes a data interruption of ~3s to make MixPad disconnect.

I know some A+H guys read these forums so can I make a couple of requests please?

MixPad needs to have an option whereby if is detects a data loss it doesn’t disconnect completely. Every single time I’ve had a disconnect I can immediately reconnect, but it takes ~10sec to connect,get logged in again and return MixPad to the settings I was previously using. Things seem to have got slightly worse with v1.9. About half of the time, when it disconnects it quits the app completely, so I have to restart the app as well.

Provide an option to reduce the data demands. MixPad is transferring a lot of real-time data, but in my typical usage a lot of that data is unneccesary. The signal meters show pretty much a realtime level when all I really need is signal present and peak warning. I’m using MixPad for control, not monitoring. I don’t really need to see the levels – all of the gains have been set during soundcheck (or are conservative for those gigs where you don’t have the luxury of a soundcheck!).

All I need is the ability to control. Every time MixPad disconnects it takes that control away from me.

As things stand I won’t be using the iLive in this venue again. I’ll be going back to the MixWizard and only use the iLive in venues where I’ve got space for the T80.

For the record I’m using the D-Link DIR-815 in 5GHz only mode with iPad 3

Profile photo of przemko
    przemko
    Participant

Have you tryed to switch the meters off on iPad settings (scroll the screen down)?

best regards

Przemko
    3x iDR32, 1x iDR48, R72, T80, T112

Profile photo of chads
    chads
    Participant

I hadn’t found that option, thanks. I’ll give it a try next time..

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Hi Chads,
    If you have recently updated from iOS5 to iOS6 it may be worth a look at this information in the iLive Knowledgebase:
    https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/507/86/ios6–problems-connecting-to-wi-fi-network
    Regards,
    Carey

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I take it there’s no fresh news on iOS6?

Profile photo of chads
    chads
    Participant

@Carey D, yes I did consider this problem before upgrading the iPad, but I had no difficulty and didn’t need the workaround. This is with 6.0.1 so maybe Apple addressed the ‘no internet’ problem with that. I don’t have the issues related by others (mostly iPhone4 users) on ZDnet and elsewhere with greyed-out options.

The main difficulty I have at the moment is inconsistency. After the upgrades I tested the system at home and had no dropouts at all during a 30-minute test run. That was the day before the gig experience related above. I’m about to run a test today with the meters turned off so I’ll see how that gets on. It doesn’t help that the locked-down nature of the iPad means that you can’t get much in the way of diagnostics out of them

Profile photo of chads
    chads
    Participant

well that’s irritating. 1hour test with the meters running. No dropouts and only a couple of ping RTTs above 3ms. I’ll try again this evening when there are a few more WiFi radios around…

Profile photo of bdunard
    bdunard
    Participant

I’m really interested in your findings because I have same problem and setup. I have MacBook Pro and two iPads. MacBook can sustain a wireless connection while iPad struggles but reconnects immediately. I don’t notice the problem as much at home in tests so I figure it has to be something with other wifi. I’m still on ios5 and 1.83 but was going to upgrade in the next couple of weeks as I have a quite a few shows through December 19. I’m not the best with networking once it gets deep but please give me any setups or tests you would like me to run and I will. I want to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible so we can get a stable setup with known settings.

Profile photo of chads
    chads
    Participant

I’m at a bit of a loss at the moment to be honest. My second test in the evening was also flawless for about 90 minutes (with an extra 6 APs visible in my local area), but in Saturday’s soundcheck it was unusable again. Murphy’s law seems to be applying – tests are fine, but it fails when you actually need it. Fortunately it did work for long enough at the opening of the first set when our FOH engineer forgot to switch my monitor feed on.

I’m not sure that much can be done from the user end – there’s virtually no configuration options on the iPad network setup (they ‘just work’), so all I’ve been able to do is correlate the 2-3 second network disconnection to the MixPad disconnection

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

Well for what it is worth, I was the one who posted the thread awhile back about using the same router with a different board in the same venue. Results being iLive drop outs common, other board no drops outs. This led to the 10ms timeout comment from A&H.

I have sinced ditched my 2.4Ghz router and switched to a 5Ghz. Back to same venue last weekend with packed house – no drop outs. To soon to be conclusive but switching to a 5Ghz router (and disabling the 2.4 reception and 2.4/5ghz SSID broadcast) has seemed to help me. Time will tell.

New router:

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jgrooms

Well for what it is worth, I was the one who posted the thread awhile back about using the same router with a different board in the same venue. Results being iLive drop outs common, other board no drops outs. This led to the 10ms timeout comment from A&H.

I have sinced ditched my 2.4Ghz router and switched to a 5Ghz. Back to same venue last weekend with packed house – no drop outs. To soon to be conclusive but switching to a 5Ghz router (and disabling the 2.4 reception and 2.4/5ghz SSID broadcast) has seemed to help me. Time will tell.

New router:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088CJT4U/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

the OP is already using 5ghz exclusively …….

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

the OP is already using 5ghz exclusively …….

missed that – thanks.

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

It may be useful for A&H to add some log text that says why the mixpad is disconnecting. May help isolate some of these problems, or at least point us in a more specific direction.

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jgrooms

New router:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088CJT4U/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I am contemplating purchasing that same router.

I really wish A&H would co brand something a little more professional with a company other than Belkin.

Interested in your feedback.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND & Airport Express

Profile photo of guyharris
    guyharris
    Participant

Hi Chads,

I hear your pain … I’ve also had some strange problems with wireless, although to be fair, I think most of them are caused by 3rd party interference from other networks, the ubiquity of smart phones, and that’s just a fact of life I think from now on.

However: you say you just want control. As a suggestion, why not use Tweak for this purpose? The App is really configured to run on iPhone, but I use it on the iPad, and it works flawlessly, with none of the dropout problems that you mention, probably because there is no metering and thus a much lower data transfer loading. I realise that it’s a workaround, and means having both running (I guess), but it would solve your ‘control’ problem.

I effectively do this anyway; once we’ve done soundcheck, I almost exclusively use my iPhone for level changes in the room.

Best of luck!

http://www.pianojam.nl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.