Surface Housekeeping Questions

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Surface Housekeeping Questions

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Doug Doug 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AnnsAudio
    AnnsAudio
    Participant

I inherited the T80 and it came with a few shows and lots of messy scenes.

I mix for 4 artists and want to have 1 scene for each artist – moving up to 1 scene per song and each artist would have their own show. They rotate on a weekly schedule.

My first order of business was to standardize the right side (auxes/matrices/TB/iPod/etc) between the scenes so I can easily navigate thru.

My main questions are:

1) The engineer before me attempted to clean up the layers in the shows, eliminating unused inputs and channels, etc. But, despite the surface being logical (k, sn, tom, hat, EG, vox, etc) the channel numbers are all out of whack now – not chronological like one would think. How do I renumber the channels and do I run the risk of losing information (gain/EQ/etc)?

2) On some of the I/O channels, I noticed on the PreAmp screen that they are double patched – and to channels that no longer exist on my surface. How do I unpatch them and find and zero out any/all unused channels that still exist in my scene?

Grateful for the help~

Peace! Always!

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

To begin with I would consider having a show as opposed to a scene for each artist assuming that each artist works per week which will give you room to build the scenes in a logical order. With regards to organising channels I am assuming the slots on the racks are out of whack in which case just alter the slots on each preamp. If this is not the case then copy and paste the information to where you want it.

With regards to double patching create the missing channel in bank D and remove the links.

http://www.maltingsaudio.co.uk

AnnsAudio
    Participant

I don’t know how to block quote on this forum…

“With regards to organising channels I am assuming the slots on the racks are out of whack in which case just alter the slots on each preamp. If this is not the case then copy and paste the information to where you want it.”

Fingers crossed I articulate this clearly:

When a scene is originally built, bank 1, fader 1 is Channel 1. Bank 2, fader 1 is Channel 13 (on my desk – the T80)

When inputs are deleted, instruments are changed, artists are removed, the “faders” are rearranged, but the channel numbers stick. This is because **I** am more comfortable assigning faders in the surface screen vs. copying/pasting info into a new fader. Ya, I gotta master that.

So now, let’s say my bank 1, fader 5 is channel 14 – which, logically, it should be channel 5 (OCD here, hang with me HAHA!) Your solution would be to copy/paste that channel into an unused channel buried down in bank 4 somewhere – which would change the channel number and THEN copy/paste it back into it’s desired position – finally correcting the channel number issue?

….and do I even need to worry about the channel numbers? Maybe I’m getting all spun up for no reason.

And yes, we want to build to 1 show per artist and 1 scene for each song. Thanks for that confirmation in my thinking….

Many thanks for the double-patching solution. Will give it a go tonight!

Peace! Always!

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

Do you have a laptop you can run the editor software on? That makes moving channels around a snap. I think it would make your life a lot easier.

T112/48, MacBook Pro, D-link DIR-815, iPad 1 w/mixpad, Dante card feeding a Mac Mini w/DVS.

AnnsAudio
    Participant
    Quote:
    Originally posted by CMattE

Do you have a laptop you can run the editor software on? That makes moving channels around a snap. I think it would make your life a lot easier.

Yep, MacBook Pro. But my proficiency with that is even more lacking than the surface.

I’ll give that some attention as well… Thanks

Peace! Always!

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

To reply with quotes just hit the reply with quotes icon to the right of each post header.

Definately quickest way to reorganise is in Editor: hit the surface tab, then on the left of your screen hit the “strip” tab under Setup Mode, then drag and drop your surface channels to their correct positions based on the DSP processing channel, add missing strips etc and arrange your layers to suit.

Once you have that sorted then turn Setup mode to “Off” and hover over either channel Sel or Mix channels on strips you want to copy processing/Mix data from to paste to other strip locations, rename strips etc. You should check each channels preamp input to assign to a logical order (or use: Setup/Mixer Preferences/Quick input source setup (Range)(Start/End) to reassign them quickly. SAVE SCENE!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

Why not just recall one of the default layout scenes and start fresh. If you do that there are no hidden gotchas you need to worry about.

If not I agree with others using the editor is more revealing in this case.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Rearrange surface channels does not reset any processing or different information from that channels.
    It just assigns a processing channel (numbered from 1 to 64, but not fixed to the inputs 1 to 64) to a position on the surface.

This gives you per scene basic access to the needed channels. I would assign all available inputs to the left banks and store these in the first scene as a starting point for sound check.

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

quote:

Fingers crossed I articulate this clearly:

When a scene is originally built, bank 1, fader 1 is Channel 1. Bank 2, fader 1 is Channel 13 (on my desk – the T80)

When inputs are deleted, instruments are changed, artists are removed, the “faders” are rearranged, but the channel numbers stick. This is because **I** am more comfortable assigning faders in the surface screen vs. copying/pasting info into a new fader. Ya, I gotta master that.

So now, let’s say my bank 1, fader 5 is channel 14 – which, logically, it should be channel 5 (OCD here, hang with me HAHA!) Your solution would be to copy/paste that channel into an unused channel buried down in bank 4 somewhere – which would change the channel number and THEN copy/paste it back into it’s desired position – finally correcting the channel number issue?

….and do I even need to worry about the channel numbers? Maybe I’m getting all spun up for no reason.

Peace! Always!

The question is how do the channel numbers/name relate to the patch sheet? In reality it doesn’t matter what the channel number is if the channel on the surface has a name. What does matter is what slot on the rack that channel refers to.

My idr is actually labelled 1-48 with sticky labels so if I want say a mic to appear at position 1 on bankA I just press ALt view and the channel/slotnumber is there so there is no room for confusion. In your example would you expect your fader 5 channel 14 to represent the source plugged into slot 5/a5 or slot 14/B6 ?

I agree sorting it out with editor would be the easiest way, although I would probably start from scratch!

AnnsAudio
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Doug

I agree sorting it out with editor would be the easiest way, although I would probably start from scratch!

So Editor is the way to go. Thanks much for all the replies! I’ve looked around for Editor videos/training – can anyone point me to a resource that will help me on my way with the software?

Happy Thanksgiving from America!

Peace! Always!

T80, iDR32, MacBook Pro, 8-slot expander and other stuff I have to figure out :)

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by AnnsAudio

I’ve looked around for Editor videos/training – can anyone point me to a resource that will help me on my way with the software?

We have a basic video on Editor here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQiMbYjMnRc&list=SPFA9E71B7F4BA7FFE&index=25&feature=plpp_video

But I would say the best resource is the Editor Help file.

Nicola
    A&H

AnnsAudio
    Participant

Another surface question – not really housekeeping tho.

I want to play around with recording my L/R mains through a Duet2 into Logic.

I’ve patched the iLive to ports 5/6 on the surface as MAIN L/R.

Does anyone know what level that goes out the board? Line? +4/-10 or something? I wasn’t getting signal into my duet. So the troubleshooting (and questions) begin. Starting at the source.

Thanks!

Peace! Always!

T80, iDR32, MacBook Pro, 8-slot expander, ACE (A), MiniMultiOut (B) and other stuff I have to figure out :))

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

The output should be +10

You have checked that the outputs on the surface are correctly patched and that you haven’t used the inputs? Very easily done.

I would also route the mains through a stereo matrix then out through outputs on the surface, will give your cards input an easior time if your riding mains

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.