LR Summing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of scottwc scottwc 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scottwc
    scottwc
    Participant

Hey All,

Having a few thoughts where the mix appears to be doing weird things as it sums to the main buss.

For example, doing a linecheck for a band, check all the drums and have them sounding pretty awesome. Check the bass and guitars and have them sounding pretty awesome. Add them together and it sounds like someone has slapped a big ol’ limiter across the mix even though there is no compression on the main buss and there is no other limiting on the system.

Has anyone run into this problem?

Interestingly, PFLing all the DCA’s (every channel on the console is assigned to a DCA) sounds much better than PFLing the main buss in which case everything sounds dead again, like there is a heap of limiting.

Anyone had similar experience to this?

Cheers,
    Scott

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The GLD uses fixed point maths, so if something clips somewhere it will be clipped everywhere downstream aswell, the same as would happen in analog. What sort of levels are you seeing at each stage in the signal path?

An interesting test would be to feed your PA from the PFL bus and see if there is any improvement.

Chris

Profile photo of scottwc
    scottwc
    Participant

Gain structure is fine, no clipping anywhere along the path and headroom on all channels and busses.

Yeah I was thinking it would be interesting to do that, I’ll try it next week when I have another show on the same system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.