Dante Analog Out

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dante Analog Out

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

I need to PFL a Dante channel and hear it via the analog headphone jack on my laptop.

Is anyone using any software for recording that allows this.
    The few I have tried to not seem to support this.

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

Can you not simply PFL the channel using whatever DAW you have on your laptop?

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

I’d have thought the issue is that you’re essentially trying to use two soundcards simultaneously – DVS & the onboard card – not sure if that’s possible with any DAW (and might be pretty unstable for recording via DVS if you could do it). If you return your Dante channels into spare channels in iLive you can PFL there on your surface or from the headphone out on the rack (I usually split my channels as 32 ins on the rack, and 32 Dante returns – I have an iDR48, but most shows that involve recording don’t push me beyond the 32 ins, and that’s what I tell people I have available for recording).

Adam Biggs
    T80 surface & iDR48
    MixPad for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Mac Mini Server w/Mountain Lion

with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Dante card tracking into Reaper with playback via FooBar (PC) or Presonus Capture/Studio One (Mac)

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

its 100% possible with anything based on Core Audio. It’s called aggregate audio devices.

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

I’d have thought the issue is that you’re essentially trying to use two soundcards simultaneously – DVS & the onboard card – not sure if that’s possible with any DAW (and might be pretty unstable for recording via DVS if you could do it). If you return your Dante channels into spare channels in iLive you can PFL there on your surface or from the headphone out on the rack (I usually split my channels as 32 ins on the rack, and 32 Dante returns – I have an iDR48, but most shows that involve recording don’t push me beyond the 32 ins, and that’s what I tell people I have available for recording).

Adam Biggs
    T80 surface & iDR48
    MixPad for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Mac Mini Server w/Mountain Lion

with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Dante card tracking into Reaper with playback via FooBar (PC) or Presonus Capture/Studio One (Mac)

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

@rexeltw, yes I would have thought this was possible as well, but its not, I’ve tried it on a number of DAW applications on Windows and they only allow a single sound card to be accessed by the DAW at anyone time.

@biggsounds the problem is that I need both my iLives at the sending location and the receiving location is a long way away. I effectively just want to use DANTE to export audio to another location over IP and have the sound come out of the laptop at the other end. I’m not worried about recording for this application.

I just need to convert a single DANTE channel to Analog in realtime at the other end of a length of ethernet. I’m also not worried about latency.

Any ideas on this?
    There must be a way to do it.

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

Noticed this but have no idea on price or quality.

https://www.linea-research.co.uk/datasheets/DE2726-02%20BvNet%20Dante%20Bridge%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

quote:

Originally posted by millst

@rexeltw, yes I would have thought this was possible as well, but its not, I’ve tried it on a number of DAW applications on Windows and they only allow a single sound card to be accessed by the DAW at anyone time.

@biggsounds the problem is that I need both my iLives at the sending location and the receiving location is a long way away. I effectively just want to use DANTE to export audio to another location over IP and have the sound come out of the laptop at the other end. I’m not worried about recording for this application.

I just need to convert a single DANTE channel to Analog in realtime at the other end of a length of ethernet. I’m also not worried about latency.

Any ideas on this?
    There must be a way to do it.

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

I need to PFL a Dante channel and hear it via the analog headphone jack on my laptop.

Is anyone using any software for recording that allows this.
    The few I have tried to not seem to support this.

ASIO for all could help you there. It can handle all audio devices as one.
    But it’s not that stable in that ASIO mode.

I used it once for recording from multiple sound devices.
    I also used my old Nuendo 2 with more than one (two) different sound cards for recording.
    Internal routing gives a listen output.

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Profile photo of papromike
    papromike
    Participant

You can do this on a MAC with core drivers, however not with a PC running ASIO

There are a few companies starting to make Dante Breakout boxes.

Atterotec

Focusrite (red net)

are a few

however, in say for instance pro tools, you can send signals routed to a stereo BUSS and have that stereo buss feeding your default (headphone jack or speakers) and also have the channels individually routed to a dante channel directly.

In your System preferences under sounds, just make sure you have your core audio device selected for your speakers/headphone jack,

you can then solo channels and listen to them.

Vice President of Sales
    Allen & Heath USA

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

For background info: i read this:
    https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb06/articles/pcmusician.htm

Look at the first post about “puredata” in this thread…
    https://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1581

Recap… I will give this a try
    https://puredata.info/downloads/pd-extended

Start pd-extended
    Choose media -> ASIO and set the correct audio adapters for in and out
    Choose media -> audio ON

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by steffenromeiss

ASIO for all could help you there.

ASIO4all can only convert WDM drivers in ASIO drivers. There are no WDM drivers for Dante.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.