Wireless

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of chads chads 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

I was under the impression that whenever a wireless device sees an SSID it tries to make a connection(unless you explicitly tell it not to). To me that would still seem to cause issues if you have a few hundred phones polling the SSID and then the router trying to determine if they should connect or not. Am I wrong about this?

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

No other devices will connect to your network, if you hard code the mac addresses of every piece of hardware in your router setup.

Limit the DHCP range, and only allow listed devices on your router.
    My example;

192.168.1.254 Main Router Address
    192.168.1.253 Airport Express (Ethernet connected)

DHCP Starting and ending Range 100 to 104.

192.168.1.100 74:XX:XX:XX:XX:90 USB Wireless TP-Link
    192.168.1.101 54:XX:XX:XX:XX:6C VAIO Ethernet
    192.168.1.102 78:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1 VAIO Wireless
    192.168.1.103 A4:XX:XX:XX:XX:49 iPad
    192.168.1.104 88:XX:XX:XX:XX:79 iPod Touch

Hard code the mac addresses for the iLive stuff too.

192.168.1.1 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:7C iLive iDR48 Mix Rack
    192.168.1.2 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:86 iLive T112 Surface
    192.168.1.3 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:DD iLive T112 Touch Screen

I choose not to have wireless security enabled, to prevent bottlenecks on data rate speed.
    My router log never shows any other devices that connected to my network.

I do not believe polling an SSID causes interference on a network if that device does not handshake and secure a connection to begin with.

Most interference issues I experience, are in areas with many SSID’s. If I go into any venue or even outside, I use my wifi analyzer on my android phone. If it sees more then 5 different access points that have a -70 dbm or higher signal strength, I will surely encounter wireless interference. Once did a show outside a college dorm and noticed over 60 routers. I could not use wireless at all that day.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND & Airport Express

Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

Same venue, but perhaps different bands? Is something else causing interference? For example — a wireless microphone or guitar system?

In my situation I tried a 2.4GHz wireless router, only to find that the two-channels of 2.4GHz, spread-spectrum, frequency-hopping Sabine wireless owned by a particular frontman made it impossible for me to use my wireless LAN with his band.

I know you’re working with 5GHz. Just thought I might provoke a thought.

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

R.E SSID, After a bit of reading …. it depends !

The access point transmits the SSID via a beacon message which is broadcast at mac level.

The clients can then just listen passively for broadcast messages:

https://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1492071

The clients can however actively scan for access points by emitting probe request messages.

My guess would be when you have the wifi networks screen open on your iphone its actively scanning, otherwise its passive.

The problem with hiding your SSID is, you don’t stop the clients sending the probe messages when in active mode, and the Ap has to send beacons every 100ms anyway, so I’m not sure its much of a saving ! Also the SSID can still be found, which was the point I was making previously.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/10907

I’ve have heard lots of people say when the venue fills up with customers they get wifi drop outs. A guess would be this is a signal / reflection issue as opposed to the punters mobile phones interrogating the AP… but I could be wrong.

Most of this depends how Apple / Google etc have implemented their wifi scanning, and Apple at least appear to be keeping that part of the code private!

Anyway hope this helps.

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of chads
    chads
    Participant

“R.E Comms drop outs over wifi we’ve been doing quite a lot of testing recently as were gearing up for OneMix release.

Our lost comms trigger is 10 seconds of no UDP comms between rack and Editor / MixPad.”

I was going to post asking what the trigger delay was and maybe to increase it, but 10 seconds seems ample.

My experience so far (only had the kit a few weeks)

Venue 1: Empty venue during setup and soundcheck only; no dropouts.

Venue 2: laptop wired; no droputs on iPad in 2 hours continuous use

Venue 3: laptop wireless; iPad dropouts at 10min intervals or so. Editor on laptop no dropouts

Venue 4: laptop wired; iPad dropouts ~10min intervals again.

What I take from this is that the laptop wireless seems more reliable than the iPad, but that having the laptop wired or wireless doesn’t make any difference to the iPad (so radio congestion is probably not the issue).

It’ll be interesting when I go back to venue 2 in a couple of weeks to see if it’s stable there again.

The thing I find most annoying about the dropouts is that you have to connect, log in again and then switch the fader view back to what you were using. It would be much less of an issue if the app quietly reconnected without having to go through this each time, although I realise that caching the login details does have some security implications.

D-Link DIR-815, ‘new’ iPad, iOS 5

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.