Wireless

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of chads chads 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

Ok so I took my router which I use with my iLive to a venue I do sound in on a somewhat regular basis last night. With my iLive I get drop outs with this router somewhat frequently and have read the posts on here about different brands, 5Ghz, etc that may help this.

But here is the deal. This same router, in the same venue was used by my friend using his Behringer X32 console last night, not my iLive. The difference? No drop outs – not one.

So any theories on this? It suggests to me its not the router but something in the iLive protocol or applications.

Comments?

(this is not meant to be a pro x32 post, I’m trying to understand the difference in performance of my router)

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

I assume you are just using the router to run Editor?

Having never used the B-ringer I can’t comment on the difference between the two but assuming your friend hasn’t been using your actual router it could be the channel you are using on your router already has a lot of traffic on it. Or it could be as simple as their software does less so using a lot less bandwidth. All speculation I’m afraid

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rexeltw

I assume you are just using the router to run Editor?

Having never used the B-ringer I can’t comment on the difference between the two but assuming your friend hasn’t been using your actual router it could be the channel you are using on your router already has a lot of traffic on it. Or it could be as simple as their software does less so using a lot less bandwidth. All speculation I’m afraid

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Yes, I am controlling my iLive with the Editor and/or mixpad – no surface.

The router configuration wasn’t changed so he was using the same channel, in the same venue in which I get the drop outs.

While it may be bandwidth, that’s a little hard for me to beleive that the iLive generates so much network traffic as to bog the router down. If it did, the router would never work but it does, and does fine for awhile but eventually will drop out.

I dunno, it is certainly all speculation but it is also interesting to see the difference in performance between the two systems. And for me, this provides evidence that it is not crowded spectrum causing the problem.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

I can only hope that A&H responds to this thread.

I might well be that the Behringer software was written with wireless performance as one of the requirements. So, data caching, restoring from network drop-out might have been on their list while developing the software.
    A&H’s network protocol and the way the editors connect seems indeed to be more error prone.
    Question is whether this can easily be solved or requires some parts of the software to be rethought from the ground up?

Hope you can redo this experiment with 1.9 installed next weeks…

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

And for clarity, it is the same physical router. My friend borrowed mine. It’s not separate one of the same type. It’s literally the same router.

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

It IS The 5ghz, ever since i am on it i dont have any problems anymore
    mixed a band open air this summer ( 40 meters away from stage) flawless. Check the recommendation of routers on the ah wesite.
    2 year old belkin here shure there are better ones by now.

cheers
    dave

allways latest firm and software
    iLive-144/t-80/idr-10 /idr-48/dante/pl-6/eyepad 1/belkin router/

Profile photo of bdunard
    bdunard
    Participant

I am having ipad dropouts much more frequently as of late. The thing is that when the new mix pad update came out it worked well for 6 weeks and then all of the sudden I am having trouble again with droputs. I am using the same apple airport extreme. I use both 5ghz and the normal channel. Could it be something that got changed? Is there anyway to trouble shoot it? thanks

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

If your pad updated to 1.6 ( ios) then you have to update the patch ah made as well

cheers
    dave

allways latest firm and software
    iLive-144/t-80/idr-10 /idr-48/dante/pl-6/eyepad 1/belkin router/

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi All

R.E Comms drop outs over wifi we’ve been doing quite a lot of testing recently as were gearing up for OneMix release.

Our lost comms trigger is 10 seconds of no UDP comms between rack and Editor / MixPad.

The difference between Behringer and A&H may just be the timeout they’ve chosen, or they may not have one ! Try using the Behringer, then turn the router off, how long does it take to inform you the connection has been dropped?

The protocol they’ve chosen as well as the timeout will govern how forgiving their software is. Its a balancing act between not giving false positives, but also telling you as soon as possible if the router has been turned off.

Although I understand in this case its the same router, during our testing we’ve seen access point stutter relating to additional wireless clients going in and out of range. This varies massively by brand, and can have an impact on throughout; they’ll be more info on this shortly as its topical for OneMix users.

Cheers

Andy.

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of bdunard
    bdunard
    Participant

I never upgraded either. Same IOS as before.

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mumu

It IS The 5ghz, ever since i am on it i dont have any problems anymore

If this were the case, the Behringer console would also experience drop outs since what you are describing is a frequency congestion problem. The evidence suggests, this is not the problem since there are no dropouts using the exact same router with the Behringer console.

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bucks

Hi All

R.E Comms drop outs over wifi we’ve been doing quite a lot of testing recently as were gearing up for OneMix release.

Our lost comms trigger is 10 seconds of no UDP comms between rack and Editor / MixPad.

The difference between Behringer and A&H may just be the timeout they’ve chosen, or they may not have one ! Try using the Behringer, then turn the router off, how long does it take to inform you the connection has been dropped?

The protocol they’ve chosen as well as the timeout will govern how forgiving their software is. Its a balancing act between not giving false positives, but also telling you as soon as possible if the router has been turned off.

Although I understand in this case its the same router, during our testing we’ve seen access point stutter relating to additional wireless clients going in and out of range. This varies massively by brand, and can have an impact on throughout; they’ll be more info on this shortly as its topical for OneMix users.

Cheers

Andy.

Andy
    A&H

Thanks for the response. I will try that and see what happens.

Regardless, I realize there are many variables involved with WiFi performance. I just thought this to be an interesting observation with relatively low number of variables.

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

Although I understand in this case its the same router, during our testing we’ve seen access point stutter relating to additional wireless clients going in and out of range.

Given this, do you believe (or recommend) hiding the SSID broadcast (probably a good idea anyway but currently mine is on)? Will this reduce the amount of connection attempts by foriegn devices? Or am I not interpreting what you are saying correctly?

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Jason

I was referring to connected clients, not passive unconnected clients who are just observing SSID’s.

I was suggesting a possible cause of UDP throughput drop could have been other wireless devices connected on to the same access point, which were moving in and out of range.

Its therefore a good idea to have some form of password based encryption to stop anyone just logging on to the access point. Hiding the SSID is one way, but its not that fool proof and makes it harder to intentionally connect new wireless clients. Setting up WPA/PSK encryption would be better.

I realise this may not have been the case in your scenario, but its one of many reasons throughout can be affected.

This becomes really topical in a multi OneMix environment where you have lots of connected clients all wondering about!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of bdunard
    bdunard
    Participant

Andy,

Is the wifi and communication being updated in onemix or with the mix pad app and iPad in 1.9?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.