Network unification safely

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Network unification safely

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ddff_lv ddff_lv 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve got two networks I am trying to unify for my life-setup, want to make sure I do this right.

I’ve got a network-configuration DSP, mixrack, surface, FOH computer, and iPad I’d like to link together. I’ve got an airport extreme dual-band on hand, but I’d like to configure the network based on static IPs so I don’t have to haul out the router if it’s a show where we don’t need wireless control.

I’m trying to figure out where makes the most sense for the wireless router, and if this makes sense.

DSP>Mixrack>Surface>Router>computer ?

Non ACE traffic should be pretty light, occasional remote desktop, but that’s nothing major. I’d put the router in, effectively, access point mode?

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

No advice? I hate to bother support with this

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Not sure I completely understand your question, but I’d say you attach your wireless access point (or router if you like) directly to LAN port of iDR. Make sure it is in access point mode and DHCP range is above 192.168.1 (or was it 0).10 so there are no IP conflicts with surface, touchscreen and iDR itself. In case your FOH cable is broken you still got connection to iDR over wireless. And I definitely suggest to use 5 GHz band instead of 2.4 GHz. iPad has this range built in, but your computer might require an USB dongle.

ddff

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ddff_lv

Not sure I completely understand your question, but I’d say you attach your wireless access point (or router if you like) directly to LAN port of iDR. Make sure it is in access point mode and DHCP range is above 192.168.1 (or was it 0).10 so there are no IP conflicts with surface, touchscreen and iDR itself. In case your FOH cable is broken you still got connection to iDR over wireless. And I definitely suggest to use 5 GHz band instead of 2.4 GHz. iPad has this range built in, but your computer might require an USB dongle.

ddff

I guess I’m just not used to bridged networking as opposed to switched. I can just daisy chain off the LaN ports?

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Well, all 3 LAN ports on iDR are switched and they’re also bridged to ACE socket, that means you can tunnel any IP traffic to FOH. So you can use any of the LAN ports to connect your router. And if you leave static IP addresses for the iLive system you won’t have to bring your router always.

ddff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.