How much is too much?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions How much is too much?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of teknik99 teknik99 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

This weekend, I wasn’t paying attention while setting up for an outdoor show, and put my iDR-32 in direct sunlight.

About an hour into the show, the system cut out, then came back up 15 seconds later. My first guess was that the branch circuit voltage had sagged and the little UPS in my rack had failed. Not an unreasonable opinion, eh?

After a few miserable cycles of up-down-up-down, I came to my senses and realized that the MixRack was overheated. The Editor displayed 50 degrees Celsius. I shaded the MixRack from direct sunlight and applied a big ol’ box fan, and the temperature dropped to 38 degrees and stayed there for the duration of the show.

So I’m wondering, how much is too much? It seems that in my case 50 degrees is the moment of death. Have the rest of you seen similar behavior?

Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

Hi Tim,
    I would be very surprised if heat was the source of the problem. It may have been a contributing factor exascerbated(sp?) by another fault.
    I have done outside shows here in Aus and the temperatures in the rack (idr10) have been much higher than that. I remember doing a show last Christmas Eve (>40c day) and looking at the temps. The ilive has a resettable min/max hold feature, I would need to check it, but I know it was hot!
    Darren

Profile photo of teknik99
    teknik99
    Participant

Hi Tim,

I would also be surprised if tenperture is the only factor at play here

We have done multiple outdoor shows in peak australian summer meaning ambient temperature well in excess of 40 degrees C and have never had a fault with an IDR although we rarely have them in direct sunlight.

The Temperature is monitored at several points in the surface, rack & power supplies and if the set threshhold is exceeded a red X warning comes up.

If you didnt see a rex X come up i would hazard a guess that the increase in temperature is causing an issue with a component even though the rack is still within safe operating limits

My memory is there are 4 monitoring points of the Mix Rack temp which are available from the utility screen so when you say it was 50 deg were all 4 at 50 Deg or just one?

You can also reset the trip points I would suggest some trial and error experimentation and if it contiues to happen raise a service tag with your local distributor.

Cheers

Profile photo of riggs1963
    riggs1963
    Participant

Hey Tim,
    Got to agree with the other 2 Aussies…ridiculous humidity and >40deg ambient temps here in Queensland in summer with no side effects…as the lads have said…contributing factor more than likely…the cause, perhaps not…good luck with the search…give as shout if you figure it out…

Cheers
    Dave

T112|iDR48+ACEcard|Laptop|iDR16|iPad|iPS10

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

Hate to disagree with everyone else but serious heat is a real problem for the Mixracks hence there have been a couple of service modifications recommended for hot climates. Even in the UK we always have external fan panels with the mixracks to keep things cool!

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

Definitely need to crack this bad boy open and blow it out with compressed air. I’m sure it’s got a little fur in its belly. :)

All four temp gauges were at or above 50c.

Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

Hmmm…. perhaps this is only a problem with the fixed mixracks.
    I have the idr10 modular rack and it has been used in some very hot conditions here in Australia and it has kept on working.
    I have never been informed of any service mods for hot climates, and we can definitely be a hot climate here in summer!
    Darren

Profile photo of teknik99
    teknik99
    Participant

I am using a pair of fixed mixrack’s here in the hot climate of Australia summers and have never had an issue.

Also

I would be extremly interested in what these service modifications are, I have never heard of them – do they only apply to early racks or all racks?

quote:

hence there have been a couple of service modifications recommended for hot climates

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.