Questions and suggestions

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Questions and suggestions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stealth Stealth 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Volum
    Volum
    Participant

Howdy!

After spending a week with the GLD I have some thoughts and questions before I get ready to hit the road.
    All questions are based on using the default L/R template.

1: Is there a way to make the PAFL-meters (L/R M) on the console to show PFL gain before compressor? I have tried every tweak (I think) in the setup, but they are always post the compressors makeup-gain. (I know I can see the PFL in the “Meters section on the display, but I would like it to be present also at the LED’s next to the compressor buttons on the console).

2: I find it confusing to not have a “solo clear”-button, or “home”-button that clears all the selected MIX, PAFL and Select’s that I have chosen for different channels. I tried to set it up in the “Soft key assign”, but it does not work as intended if you have checked for the “Additive mode” in Setup.
    Confusion comes quickly when navigating away from a layer/bank with one or more buttons selected, and then you have to search trough every layer and bank to find the ones that are lit… Or is it a workaround for this?

3: In the effects departement I found that if you add another reverb (ie nr. 5) this will be set up with the ability to send the loop back to its own input, because the default setting for the reverb return channel ON/OFF switch is set to “ON”. Maybe this should be reprogrammed in the next firmware update, or am I missing something here (also)? [:D]

4: When I check my logfile I see that every time i turn the console on it says that the AR2412 “lost audio sync clock” one or two seconds after startup-time. Is this normal, or en error on my console?

5: What is the difference between the two USB-ports?

6: Can i choose to send my recording to the lower USB-port, while playback from the upper?

7: Is there a way to route USB playback directly to the main mix without using faders for two of the physical inputs on the desk?

8: And last but not least: Can you please hurry with the iPad app? Coming from the Presonus SL 24 I have spoiled the bandmembers by letting them use their own iPads and iPhones to adjust their own monitor-mix, and they just love it.

That’s all for now, I think. Cant wait to get the GLD out on the road in a couple of weeks to hear what the preamps really sound like on a good PA-system.

Thanks in advance for any answers, tips and tricks.

Willy
    FOH tech.

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Volum

quote:

1: Is there a way to make the PAFL-meters (L/R M) on the console to show PFL gain before compressor? I have tried every tweak (I think) in the setup, but they are always post the compressors makeup-gain. (I know I can see the PFL in the “Meters section on the display, but I would like it to be present also at the LED’s next to the compressor buttons on the console).

If you Press and hold the SEL button on each processing stage you can monitor from that specific point in the signal chain, post processing. example if you want to hear the signal Post PEQ Pre, Compressor hold down the PEQ SEL to monitor that part of the signal chain.

quote:

2: I find it confusing to not have a “solo clear”-button, or “home”-button that clears all the selected MIX, PAFL and Select’s that I have chosen for different channels. I tried to set it up in the “Soft key assign”, but it does not work as intended if you have checked for the “Additive mode” in Setup.
    Confusion comes quickly when navigating away from a layer/bank with one or more buttons selected, and then you have to search trough every layer and bank to find the ones that are lit… Or is it a workaround for this?

I’m afraid there is not currently a specific option for clearing all MIX/PAFL/SEL’s.

quote:

3: In the effects departement I found that if you add another reverb (ie nr. 5) this will be set up with the ability to send the loop back to its own input, because the default setting for the reverb return channel ON/OFF switch is set to “ON”. Maybe this should be reprogrammed in the next firmware update, or am I missing something here (also)?

This has been resolved in v1.02 are you running the latest firmware?

quote:

4: When I check my logfile I see that every time i turn the console on it says that the AR2412 “lost audio sync clock” one or two seconds after startup-time. Is this normal, or en error on my console?

This is a known issue and will be fixed for future firmware.

quote:

5: What is the difference between the two USB-ports?

There no differences between the 2 USB ports on the surface.

quote:

6: Can i choose to send my recording to the lower USB-port, while playback from the upper?

No, I am afraid this is not possible.

quote:

7: Is there a way to route USB playback directly to the main mix without using faders for two of the physical inputs on the desk?

Yes this is possible, SEL the mains, go to the processing view on the touchscreen and select Ext Input. Then select your source to be USB.

quote:

8: And last but not least: Can you please hurry with the iPad app? Coming from the Presonus SL 24 I have spoiled the bandmembers by letting them use their own iPads and iPhones to adjust their own monitor-mix, and they just love it.

;)

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of Volum
    Volum
    Participant

Hi Sam, and thank you for your swift response to my questions.

Hopefully there will be a “Clear Mix/PAFL/Select”-function in a future firmware update, if technically possible. I can live with it the way it is for now, but it certanly keeps me on my toes [:p]

My question #3, regarding the FX return “ON” funtion to it’s own send; It seems that this is still not resolved.
    I checked my firmware (which was/is V1.02 (OS V2.09), and loaded the default template, experiencing the same issue.
    Just to make you (and me) happy i reinstalled the latest firmware (1.02, freshly downloaded from your site) and tried again. But the FX5 return can still be sent to the FX5 input if one is not careful. I have not checked FX 6-8 to see if the problem is similar on all extra effects. My guess is that the preprogrammed effects (1-4) is set up the “right” way, but someone has forgotten to do this on the 5-8 FX’s which are not active as default when loading the L&R template.
    This is no biggie, but now you know [:)]

I tried your tip abaout routing the USB playback directly to the mains, and it works fine, thanks! Though it could be a little loud when the Master is set to 0db, even with the “trim” all the way down. And the trim will also affect other sources, or am I mistaking?

What i really did not specify in my question was that i still would like to have the USB playback volume on faders, if possible(?), without using the same faders as for an analog input. My bad.

Thanks for your time, and for making what so far seems to be a good product. I hope there is an “in depth” manual coming soon to tell us about all the tips and tricks of the console. There are still a few functions that is not described anywhere. For all i know there could be a PacMan-game hiding in there somewhere if you just push the right buttons [;)]

Willy
    FOH tech.

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

“the FX5 return can still be sent to the FX5 input”… this is the same on iLive…

Learned this the hard way when I first started messing with digital.

(Another plus for ‘in your face’ notification you are NOT on main mix)…

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Volum

Well spotted on the show issue.

quote:

I tried your tip about routing the USB playback directly to the mains, and it works fine, thanks! Though it could be a little loud when the Master is set to 0db, even with the “trim” all the way down. And the trim will also affect other sources, or am I mistaking?

The trim will only effect the external input not the other sources being sent to the main Mix. If it is still to loud even at -24dB then i suggest you either route the USB to a stereo input channel or Stereo group.

Regards
    Sam A&H

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.