2nd Port on M-DANTE card

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions 2nd Port on M-DANTE card

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 10 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

Has anyone tried to use both ports of the M-DANTE card at the same time? Are they parallel? Something you could use to route to 2 different things (using the mix rack as one source of course)?

For example, one connected to second iDR and one to a laptop. I realize a swicth will do this, but was curious if the card was basically a 2 port switch.

Profile photo of snoei
    snoei
    Participant

connecting 2 laptops (one on each port) worked fine for recording with dante virtual sound card.

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

As far as i knew.. The secondary port on the Dante card was not activated. Has that been fixed?
    Anyone from AH that can answer that?

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi all,

The Secondary port on the M-DANTE card is intended for redundancy, which will be implemented in a future firmware release.

At present, the two ports work as an internal switch, and indeed they can work in parallel. Nevertheless, we recommend to use a Gigabit switch any time you plan to connect multiple Dante devices.

Hope this helps,

Nicola
    A&H

clarocque
    Participant

Thanks…

What is the difference between a parallel output and a redundant port?

T112, iDR48 w/M-DANTE, PL10, MixPad, Editor
    GLD-80 w/M-DANTE, GLD-AR2412, GLD-AR84 (2)
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by clarocque

What is the difference between a parallel output and a redundant port?

Sorry I meant you can use them as separate ports for different devices, as on a switch.

clarocque
    Participant

@nicola, if I follow you correctly, it is safe and reliable to use both ports to route to 2 different devices…

What is the difference between that and when the “redundancy” becomes available?

thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10

clarocque
    Participant

bump…

What is the difference between that and when the “redundancy” becomes available?

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Claroque

quote:

if I follow you correctly, it is safe and reliable to use both ports to route to 2 different devices…

Yes currently all 3 ports work in exactly the same way so you can connect each port to a different Dante device. Currently if you remove a cable it is possible for audio to drop-out on other connections to the Dante module.

With the new Dante firmware and redundancy enabled the Primary port on Dante module 1 can connect to another Primary socket on another module (module 2) and Secondary port (Module 1) to the secondary Port (module 2), then if you remove either the primary or secondary cable there should be no dropout in audio.

I’m afraid i can’t give you an exact date on when the new Dante firmware will be available at the moment.

Hope that helps

Regards
    Sam A&H

clarocque
    Participant

Thank you for the explanation Sam.

It was my understand fro Audinate that this was done on their end and was given to A&H for approval. Some time ago (maybe 6 months or so), A&H tech in US confirmed this and told me it will be in the next iLive firmware update.

By saying you do not know when, does that mean it is not in v1.9?

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi clarocque

The Dante card has its own firmware, which is completely seperate from any iLive or GLD firmware release.

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of msmelser
    msmelser
    Participant

ahjeff,

I had heard the same things as clarocque. Where can we find the updated Dante firmware?

T112/Dual:iDR32-iDR48/Dante
    MacBook Pro/iDR16/Dante
    T112/iDR48/Dante
    T112/iDR32
    Mac Mini/Dante (Backing Tracks)
    Mac Pro/Dante (Multitracking)
    2 iPads w/ MixPad

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I believe you have to ask Audinate regarding Dante FW release date and features.

ddff

clarocque
    Participant

Audinate told me it was done and given to A&H for their approval. A&H tech told me it would be in a firmware release.

Can we please get some clarification from A&H, especially if this is available somehow now.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi All

Apologies for the confusion.

As the person who creates the A&H-specific version of the Dante firmware, I can assure you that the firmware itself has no connection to iLive V1.9; Dante cards are updated using a piece of software from Audinate, having nothing to do with the iLive or GLD update process.

We received the final version of the new Dante firmware on the 2nd of October. Most of our software test effort since then has been going into the new V1.9 iLive firmware, and testing of the new Dante firmware has therefore taken a back seat.

Once V1.9 is released (I do not know when this is happening, as I am not involved in the release process), we will look at testing the new Dante firmware. Once approved, this will be a separate download on the A&H website, and I will make a new forum thread when this new version is available.

I don’t have an estimate for when this might happen, as it is totally dependent on whether our testing uncovers any issues, which might then have to be fixed by Audinate.

I hope this clears up any confusion, and I’m sorry that some of you have been given misleading information.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.