FX Still Feeds Through On Mute

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions FX Still Feeds Through On Mute

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of TJCornish TJCornish 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MattFultz
    MattFultz
    Participant

Hi GLD R&D,

I noticed the other day when having FX turned on, that even though the channel is muted, sound will still pass through the system. In other words, the mute button is not fully muting the channel.

Is there a fix for this?

Matt

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Matt

Can you please explain in more detail exactly how to replicate your scenario?

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by MattFultz

Hi GLD R&D,

I noticed the other day when having FX turned on, that even though the channel is muted, sound will still pass through the system. In other words, the mute button is not fully muting the channel.

Is there a fix for this?

Matt

I have not experienced this. Are you sure you’re not hearing the sound through another mic that’s still on feeding the same effects bus?

Profile photo of MattFultz
    MattFultz
    Participant

Sorry for the long delay,

To replicate the issue, assign effects to the selected channel as you would normally. Ensure the FX are present enough to be heard such as an echo or hall. Once you are satisfied with the level, simply mute the channel like you normally would to stop all audio from passing through. Try talking through the mic or playing an instrument through the muted channel. You will hear only the FX pass through the speakers and not the actual signal. Also, with the FX screen present you will notice the meters are still showing a signal coming in and passing through. This passes through the mains and the monitors. To fully mute a channel that has FX assigned, I have to turn down the FX master on the FX screen or unassign it from having any FX.

Hope that explanation helps you to replicate the issue.

Matt

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

No this is not normal – sounds like you have a duplicate DSP channel perhaps ganged without mutes linked or something. I cant replicate your issue on a GLD with the description you posted. Any channel sent to a Aux of FX will mute eveything from that channel if muted. You need to check that there is not another channel using the same input preamp.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by MattFultz

Sorry for the long delay,

To replicate the issue, assign effects to the selected channel as you would normally. Ensure the FX are present enough to be heard such as an echo or hall. Once you are satisfied with the level, simply mute the channel like you normally would to stop all audio from passing through. Try talking through the mic or playing an instrument through the muted channel. You will hear only the FX pass through the speakers and not the actual signal. Also, with the FX screen present you will notice the meters are still showing a signal coming in and passing through. This passes through the mains and the monitors. To fully mute a channel that has FX assigned, I have to turn down the FX master on the FX screen or unassign it from having any FX.

Hope that explanation helps you to replicate the issue.

Matt

You must have signal coming from something else – either another mic open, or as Stix said, a duplicate assignment of a preamp somewhere. What you’re seeing is not normal board operation.

Some troubleshooting ideas would be to mute all channels except the one you are testing with. You may want to pick a new channel to use as a test also.

Failing this, starting from a blank template might be a good idea, as the problem is likely somewhere in your configuration settings.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.