GEQ for IP channels?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions GEQ for IP channels?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of chasecaleb chasecaleb 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of soundwaveprod
    soundwaveprod
    Participant

Would be very handy for vocal channels above and beyond the PEQ.

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by soundwaveprod

Funny you should mention that…

I hear in 1.9 we get 4 assignable GEQs

Also you could just route it through a group

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of tcacfoh
    tcacfoh
    Participant

Why do you need GEQ for a channel? Learn to use the PEQ, also this morning i used one AKG 300C into 4 channels, I had better control because i was able to shift the PEQ on all 4 channels and roll off what was covered on the other three. Then use the compression SC and compress just that freq range for each channel. then grouped them into one DCA. PEQ allow a smoother transition on frequencies than the GEQ.

Glen Clark,
    T112, iDR48
    The Church At Covington Front Of House

Profile photo of chasecaleb
    chasecaleb
    Participant

quote:

If you’re talking about higher/lower frequencies, there’s a setting somewhere that lets you “unlock” the 4 PEQ bands so that each of them can be fully moved from 20-20khz. Not in front of my console right now, but I believe you press one of the soft keys to get to Mix Rack settings and it’s somewhere in there.

quote:

Originally posted by tcacfoh

Why do you need GEQ for a channel? Learn to use the PEQ, also this morning i used one AKG 300C into 4 channels, I had better control because i was able to shift the PEQ on all 4 channels and roll off what was covered on the other three. Then use the compression SC and compress just that freq range for each channel. then grouped them into one DCA. PEQ allow a smoother transition on frequencies than the GEQ.

Glen Clark,
    T112, iDR48

Smart, you’re using the high and low pass PEQ bands as pseudo crossovers to split the mic into low/low-mid/high-mid/high channels? Sounds pretty drastic though (not that I haven’t done equally creative things!), what were you micing?

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by chasecaleb

quote:

If you’re talking about higher/lower frequencies, there’s a setting somewhere that lets you “unlock” the 4 PEQ bands so that each of them can be fully moved from 20-20khz. Not in front of my console right now, but I believe you press one of the soft keys to get to Mix Rack settings and it’s somewhere in there.

quote:

Originally posted by tcacfoh

Glen Clark,
    T112, iDR48

Smart, you’re using the high and low pass PEQ bands as pseudo crossovers to split the mic into low/low-mid/high-mid/high channels? Sounds pretty drastic though (not that I haven’t done equally creative things!), what were you micing?

And how are you dealing with all that phase shift?

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

I tend to agree, if you need more than a 4 band parametric with adjustable Q AND an sweeping high pass filter on an input channel, your doing it wrong and something is severely broken in your mixing.

I can’t think of a single scenario…. ever… where this would be a good idea and would result in something sounding good.

Profile photo of chasecaleb
    chasecaleb
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by tk2k

And how are you dealing with all that phase shift?

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Totally forgot about that! I just tried it out myself, unless I’m missing some sort of corrective magic the phase shift completely kills it.

quote:

Originally posted by millst

I tend to agree, if you need more than a 4 band parametric with adjustable Q AND an sweeping high pass filter on an input channel, your doing it wrong and something is severely broken in your mixing.

I can’t think of a single scenario…. ever… where this would be a good idea and would result in something sounding good.

I was going to say this too but didn’t. If you need more than that, or if you’re needing to cut/boost huge amounts anywhere, someone’s doing something very wrong. Use a different mic, aim the mic better, or the person on stage needs to learn to not suck. My problem is usually the last of those of course [;)]

I’m a big fan of getting it right at the source and then doing just enough tweaking to allow everything to sit in the mix together without being changed drastically. It’s live sound reinforcement after all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.