v1.9 previews on plasa …

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions v1.9 previews on plasa …

This topic contains 74 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Leon BigEars

BTW, I put in the blog, only because I care about you guys waiting, a few of the items that we were previwing at PLASA to show work in progress on V1.9 and maybe give some indication of the depth of the work involved behind these features. Namely:
    AES out option
    Dynamic EQ
    Graphic EQs
    Stereo IP tools
    Multi-band Compression
    Tap Tempo on MixPad
    Delay bypass

PLASA was a ‘public’ show, and anyone was welcome to visit and see for themselves where we are up to. That’s why I put up some things for people who couldnt make it along, out of enthusiasm!
    To publish a comprehensive list of proposed V1.9 features on the forum is pretty careless as, until we finish testing all aspects of the iLive family of products, we reserve the right to change withdraw, even add features as appropriate. Albin’s list looks like the sort of thing we privately show our distributors re the scope of our activities, and to pre-empt training and awareness needed before we have a product to launch. I could give him a list of what cars the R&D guys drove to work today if that helps in Austria :D

please do not adjust your set; normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

I would have been happy to hear the following at the start of this thread – “we have add a few of the most requested features including dynamic EQ, multiband compression, selectable GEQ types and an AES output option… and a lot more. iDr10 owners will have to upgrade the DSP but it will be offered at a very respectable price and ensure a pathway for future upgrades. We are hoping if the Beta testing goes well for 1.9; it and the CPU up-grades will be available in October.”

Peter

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Now I know why I have always preferred modular designs, bit like changing the car when the ashtrays are full, forgot I stopped smoking, well most of the time. Joking aside though Rexeltw is correct you can’t keep asking more from the same old horsepower, better to swap one card than the whole desk, the benefits of being able to have what I/O I want where I want it has become invaluable. The whole iLive family produces what must be the most flexible system on the market, (I guess the DigiCo is the other serious contender) A&H are to be lauded for listening to requests and gripes then responding in a professional manner and maybe cut the guys a little slack on the time scale thing, no one wants an update that does not work or falls over every five minutes, do they?

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Well I’m not moaning! – I’m very happy with my iLive’s.. Just knowing that new and requested features are on the way makes me feel like a kid before Christmas! Bring it on!

Oh and I have a suggestion also – Scene Safes: It would be good to see partial scene safe channels indicated with a flashing blue mix key when you hold down the surface scene safe button. At the moment only channels that are completely scene safe have their mix key show a blue solid led.

Thanks A & H for listening!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mdsaudio

quote:

Originally posted by tk2k

quote:

Originally posted by PeterM

I can now buy two Midas Pro 2’s for the cost my iLive 144 and iDr10!
    Peter

If the implication here is that the Pro2 is anywhere near a professional digital console I’m going to have to ask you to go read any real-world review of it.

The Pro2 is GLD quality at best.

I think you may be a little confused here. Are you perhaps thinking of the X32 instead of the Midas Pro2?

Darren

Nope, Pro2 and Pro2c. Build quality it low. Already had issues with phantom power cutting out mid show, scrolling layers as opposed to real layers, etc. It’s just MIdas version of GLD

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

quote:

Nope, Pro2 and Pro2c. Build quality it low. Already had issues with phantom power cutting out mid show, scrolling layers as opposed to real layers, etc. It’s just MIdas version of GLD

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

err.. you do realise that the difference between scrolling layers vs vertical layers is only in your head? The buttons do exactly the same thing, they are just labelled horizontally or vertically. It’s just the way you choose to visualise it! They are not real!

FWIW, I have no issues with the build quality of my iLive. The T series, however, is no where near as robust. I have seen the plastic surface begin to bubble up outside on a 25c day! It is really an install only console in my opinion.

I guess being told I need to spend more to get the new firmware has hit a bit of a raw nerve.

My iLive has just cost my business several $K to replace 2 faulty pcb’s and in crosshires for a replacement console, as mine was offline for over 6 weeks due to the ineptitude of my local distributor. 5 weeks after I ordered the parts they still had not put the order through to the UK. It took a phone call from me to A&H in England, who then contacted my local distributor and organised an air courier, to prod them into action!
    I’m lucky enough to have used almost all of the digi consoles out there, and I can honestly say the iLive has the best UI and workflow of them all. I do love the product. However, in my situation, more than just the console needs to be professional. The infrastructure surrounding it has been decidedly MI at best and I need support that comprehends that this is a professional console that is an integral tool in the running of my business.
    I have been waiting for 1.9 to decide whether to keep my loyalty to iLive or jump ship. I don’t need teasers on a blog or to get fuzzy feelings from seeing forum members names on the touchscreen. What I do need is a professional level of support and factual information from A&H so I can make informed business decisions, and be confident I have a tool that is capable of doing the job I need.

Darren

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Leon BigEars

Albin’s list looks like the sort of thing we privately show our distributors re the scope of our activities, and to pre-empt training and awareness needed before we have a product to launch. I could give him a list of what cars the R&D guys drove to work today if that helps in Austria :D

Sorry, didnt want to offend A&H.

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

Darren

I once had an issue with the CF card in my iLive.
    I made a call to A&H after hours and within 20 minutes had an international call back from one of the guys who helped build the thing.
    They put up an ISP image of a CF card on their web server and talked me through burning it to a new card.

If that is not support I don’t know what is.
    That was back in the days when the modular series was all they had.
    Now the T series is out, you can afford to carry spares to gigs. I usually have a spare mix rack ready to go for large gigs. Not that I have ever needed it, but support is far less of an issue these days. These things are pretty robust.

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mdsaudio

err.. you do realise that the difference between scrolling layers vs vertical layers is only in your head? The buttons do exactly the same thing, they are just labelled horizontally or vertically. It’s just the way you choose to visualise it! They are not real!

Or how easy it is to access layers. How do I go from layer 1 to 3 on scrolling?

I’m a big Midas fan in general but the pro2 hardly deserves the Midas name. Maybe something that begins with a B…

But we’re getting off topic.

I had an installed shure UHF-R receiver die on me yesterday. Been installed for 3 years, no abuse, climate controlled, just died. That’s why we have a profit margin and a rainy day margin.

No one is forcing you to run 1.9 no one is forcing you to upgrade your dsp…. I am sure the next release of Venue will not run on the dshow or the profile without a dsp upgrade, but the sc48 will get a bunch of new features. The Canon 6D does a lot the 5d mark III doesn’t. It’s also a yar and a half newer. Nature of Innovation

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by millst

Darren

I made a call to A&H after hours and within 20 minutes had an international call back from one of the guys who helped build the thing.
    They put up an ISP image of a CF card on their web server and talked me through burning it to a new card.

Now the T series is out, you can afford to carry spares to gigs. I usually have a spare mix rack ready to go for large gigs. Not that I have ever needed it, but support is far less of an issue these days. These things are pretty robust.

Hi Millst,

FWIW I think Darren has been very polite with his comments, I know exactly what he has been through, he was hiring one of my iLive’s while he was trying to get his working again. I have seen and inspected the failed boards and I know exactly how long it took. Darren is also a qualified and highly competent electronics technician.

Having said that, I think sh*t happens from time to time and there are no problems with A&H reliability or their support anywhere – I love the local guys with a passion.

The issue that upset me was that I have been waiting and waiting, hoping that A&H would address a couple of things I need, then it appears that those of us that have the big expensive desks will not be able to take advantage of them …. then it looks like we may be able to by upgrading the CPU, I thinking A$3500-ish – I’m guessing based on the price of an iDr10 rack/PSU/Rab2 etc… but who know when … another year. I now believe it will be sooner than later :o)

To me A&H should have given us all a bit of a head-up after Plasa… this thread would have been much shorter [:)]

Peter

Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

quote:

Or how easy it is to access layers. How do I go from layer 1 to 3 on scrolling?

Pop groups, vca groups,”extend mode”, “area B”, one of the things it excells at is getting what you need to your fingertips straight away!
    I have been hoping A&H would introduce something akin to pop groups.

quote:

I had an installed shure UHF-R receiver die on me yesterday. Been installed for 3 years, no abuse, climate controlled, just died. That’s why we have a profit margin and a rainy day margin.

In my world it is not that simple. I have done shows where the Australian prime minister is speaking, and regularly with national acts. If a show goes down it can be very expensive and embarrassing, and I will probably never see that client again.
    A “rainy day margin” just doesn’t cut it!

quote:

I totally agree.
    I think the iLive is a reliable system. Occasionally, equipment breaks, it happens.
    A&H UK has always been excellent with backup and support. In regards to my recent issue, I spoke to Al in Cornwall, who was very apologetic(though the problem was not with them) and he was able to contact my distributor and make things happen. Thank you Al :)
    If I am going to continue using iLive in a professional capacity I would like to think that all the “mission critical” spares are stocked in Australia and can be put in an overnight bag to me if necessary.
    Darren

Profile photo of PVH
    PVH
    Participant

quote:

Pop groups, vca groups,”extend mode”, “area B”, one of the things it excells at is getting what you need to your fingertips straight away!

I have been asking A&H this for over 2 years now.
    Their response in March 2010 was:

quote:

iLive does not offer this option at present, however, your message has been forwarded to our iLive R&D team and logged as a feature request for future firmware updates.
    Thank you for your interest.

To me this is the last thing that is really missing now we going to get most of the other requests in 1.9.
    One’s you used this kind of interface on any of the other desks that have this (almost all) you can’t go back.

Peter

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

HI, When i read diagonal through this topic, i feel that it is not so much the fact that there is a cost involved to get to V1.9 for the IDR10 rack but rather that this cost is ONLY for those who have the IDR10/IDR0 racks. I can understand that but it is only hardware related and nothing else. The only thing A&H can/will do is to make it a reasonable cost.

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/2ACEcards/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

I have a question about the new dsp.
    Will it make the modular series as fast as a gld or only bring it in line with a t series.
    I have noticed the gld is super fast at doing a mixer reconfiguration compared to both series of ilive.
    The gld is also super snappy.
    If it meant we got the same snappiness in the modular series it would be worth the upgrade even without 1.9

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

quote:

I have a question about the new dsp.
    Will it make the modular series as fast as a gld or only bring it in line with a t series.
    I have noticed the gld is super fast at doing a mixer reconfiguration compared to both series of ilive.
    The gld is also super snappy.
    If it meant we got the same snappiness in the modular series it would be worth the upgrade even without 1.9

Hi Toby- my guess is it wont be as fast as GLD as the GLD only has to process 48 inputs and 20 mix channels (30 busses). So just DSP input processing channels alone the iLive has to process 30% more. Of course it might be possible with the continuous advances in processor technology…?? Keep wishing!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of Yannoush
    Yannoush
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by PVH

quote:

I have been asking A&H this for over 2 years now.
    Their response in March 2010 was:

quote:

iLive does not offer this option at present, however, your message has been forwarded to our iLive R&D team and logged as a feature request for future firmware updates.
    Thank you for your interest.

To me this is the last thing that is really missing now we going to get most of the other requests in 1.9.
    One’s you used this kind of interface on any of the other desks that have this (almost all) you can’t go back.

Peter

Hum hum hum[;)]
    Pop group ….pop music…
    Few years ago French digital mixing desk Innovason SY already introduce some function like this.
    A way to reproduce this on ilive is to create scene only including “strip assignment”
    inside those scene , set and organize your strip in layer A,B,C,D in bank 1, 2, 3 as you want ….drums input, percu, horn , voice …then use the user key to recall those “group” on your fader layer bank or use a PL box to do it. I know this is not so easy as POP group but if you have a big gig that could be helpful..

We are lucky to get the opportunity to build or own personal accessory tool with A&H PL..

In the same way I many time organize the all A level layer of the 3 bank set to input fader ,to get all my band under finger then use “Mix COMBO PFL/SEL/MIX” on userkey or PL6 or 10 to recall all my mix send.

If not to late some last request for v1;9 coming soon …
    Be able to send input to group with a choice PRE or POST Delay...because if you use Group to add external (Analogue) treatment and want to add the original signal (as in the parallel internal dry/wet comp fonction ) you create sometime strange like phasing due to A/D D/A latency. You won’t be actually able to avoid using delay on concerned input because send to group is Post Délay.

A way to set a fader to zero position as in the GEQ mode…
    Perhaps in the future would it be nice to be able te get a fader calibration as in GLD!
    also request a comfirm message(choice yes/no in the preference) when reset a Mix.using reset button (sometime “reset”stuck cause of dusty then imagine what’s happen then when you recall a mix..)
    a longer Delay…in Fx
    And last but could be wonderfull to be able to routing the up / down stream channels still available from port A to Surface modular Port B (to use a Dante card at FOH to rec or insert PC/MAC plug in)while using idr10/idr16 my port B ethersound card (M=ES=V2 updated to ASIO fonctionnality …hihihi) to record or share input channel.
    Anyway thank A&H RD to offer us soon most of the wish we had from a long time in v1;9…
    I’m happy to be able to hard update my iDR10 for a reasonable cost than to see my ilve system obsolete[:D].
    In fact the only regrets I have on my 144 is that faders or economic one’s [V], dependent of dusty with time, touchscreen and Strip led screen or not brighting enough (compare to T séries), some headroom noise on the headphone output.
    For the rest my iLive never crash, never bug, for all the last 4 or 5 years. Providing me great big sound.
    And special thanks to the A&H support team to be so rapid and efficient to fix problem, emergency we met “so” few time for all those last years [:)].

Yannoush

Yann

Ilive 144/ Idr10/ idr16/ R72/ Ethersound+ LX6464ES

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.