v1.9 previews on plasa …

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions v1.9 previews on plasa …

This topic contains 74 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

The T series were a few years later developed after the IDR10.
    they chose to use a faster board.
    We always want more and more features on the existing hardware. (multiband comp uses more processing than a simple comp i suppose)
    So it is only logical that the early boards will run out of gas.
    You can compare it to windows/osx. New versions need more processing/memory. If you want to upgrade from W95 to windows 8 you will need a newer PC.So either you stick with V1.8 or you buy the new hardware. V1.9 is not a maintenance release but a feature upgrade. (and a free one).

disclaimer : not yet confirmed that you need a newer board for V1.9 for the early ilve series

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/2ACEcards/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Lieven Dewispelaere

The T series were a few years later developed after the IDR10.
    they chose to use a faster board.
    We always want more and more features on the existing hardware. (multiband comp uses more processing than a simple comp i suppose)
    So it is only logical that the early boards will run out of gas.
    You can compare it to windows/osx. New versions need more processing/memory. If you want to upgrade from W95 to windows 2008 you will need a newer PC.So either you stick with V1.8 or you buy the new hardware. V1.9 is not a maintenance release but a feature upgrade. (and a free one).

disclaimer : not yet confirmed that you need a newer board for V1.9 for the early ilve series

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/2ACEcards/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

The issue for me is that I need a professional level desk, I need mic pre’s and XLRs on the surface.

The ilive T doesn’t really cut it.

I was hoping to get a couple more years out of my iLives and that the software upgrade would help by giving me a couple of things I need. It has been an uphill battle for the last few years, but out of brand loyalty I have stayed with AH.

I must also say that the MI rather than professional approach to the release of 1.9 is also a worry. We don’t know except for a few twitter teasers exactly what’s coming. That’s not the type of world my business needs to live in.

I guess this, and what else is implied, makes my decision easy. If I need a new rack it would be better for me to cut my losses and get something else that has more rider acceptance.

Peter

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

I agree, a little frustrating that A&H previewed it at PLASA, yet I can not find any official list of changes. Just a few blog entries.

How about it A&H, can we get a list? Even if there is a subject to change warning.

T112, iDR48, M-DANTE, PL10, MixPad, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
    Lion/Logic Pro
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

I’ve had it unofficially confirmed (if that makes sense) that this is the case and that A&H will be supplying the replacement DSP’s for the iDR-10 & iDR-0 at a reduced rate.

FYI this isn’t the first time hardware limitations have cropped up during firmware updates. IIRC 1.6 wouldn’t run on the original production run of the modular surface as the 1gHZ processor on the SBC run out of steam!

Eventually we all get a bit old and need upgrading…

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I have to disagree pretty strongly with you all on the IDR10 upgrade requirement.

I pre-ordered an IDR10 and iLive 112 a good 3 or 4 months before they were anything more than ‘brochureware’. I recognised back then that what A&H was doing was pretty special and unlike anything else that anyone else in the market was doing. That remains the case today.

The reason I bought the modular series is ironically the exact reason why you are all complaining. Because I knew the day would come when the software would outstrip the hardware’s capabilities.

I also have T-Series, but I know that when the T-Series runs out of steam, A&H will have no choice but to bring out a whole new product and I will be forced to replace it.

My IDR10 has had many upgrades since I first received it, all of them a fraction of the cost of replacing the hardware completely. The first DSP was only capable of 2 simultaneous FX, I upgraded mine a few months later to the 8 FX module for a modest cost.

Next came Ethersound to ACE, I was able to swap out the whole module in the rack and upgrade to ACE. I was pretty pleased about that.

Then came the SBC in the surface, this was a bit more complicated and far from a direct swapout, but it was possible and a welcome relief.

If you want rider acceptance, buy a PM5, but tell me, how many DSP module upgrades have there been for the PM5. Then tell me how many different revisions of the PM5 there have been over the years that have required a full upgrade of the entire system in order to take advantage of them.

1.9 is a classic example of this all over again, I’ll happily hand over my money to A&H to receive a new DSP that is capable of these new features. Safe in the knowing that my entire system has not been made completely obsolete because of all of the user requests on this very forum for features that A&H could never had anticipated when the product was first developed.

The iPad wasn’t even a product back then.
    I have had my iLive for well over 3 years now (I can’t remember exactly but its probably closer to 5). The fact that it is still able to run the latest software and features in an era where your phone is obsolete after 12 months is a testament to A&H’s vision.

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by millst

Hi Guys,

I have to disagree pretty strongly with you all on the IDR10 upgrade requirement.

I pre-ordered an IDR10 and iLive 112 a good 3 or 4 months before they were anything more than ‘brochureware’. I recognised back then that what A&H was doing was pretty special and unlike anything else that anyone else in the market was doing. That remains the case today.

The reason I bought the modular series is ironically the exact reason why you are all complaining. Because I knew the day would come when the software would outstrip the hardware’s capabilities.

I also have T-Series, but I know that when the T-Series runs out of steam, A&H will have no choice but to bring out a whole new product and I will be forced to replace it.

My IDR10 has had many upgrades since I first received it, all of them a fraction of the cost of replacing the hardware completely. The first DSP was only capable of 2 simultaneous FX, I upgraded mine a few months later to the 8 FX module for a modest cost.

Next came Ethersound to ACE, I was able to swap out the whole module in the rack and upgrade to ACE. I was pretty pleased about that.

Then came the SBC in the surface, this was a bit more complicated and far from a direct swapout, but it was possible and a welcome relief.

If you want rider acceptance, buy a PM5, but tell me, how many DSP module upgrades have there been for the PM5. Then tell me how many different revisions of the PM5 there have been over the years that have required a full upgrade of the entire system in order to take advantage of them.

1.9 is a classic example of this all over again, I’ll happily hand over my money to A&H to receive a new DSP that is capable of these new features. Safe in the knowing that my entire system has not been made completely obsolete because of all of the user requests on this very forum for features that A&H could never had anticipated when the product was first developed.

The iPad wasn’t even a product back then.
    I have had my iLive for well over 3 years now (I can’t remember exactly but its probably closer to 5). The fact that it is still able to run the latest software and features in an era where your phone is obsolete after 12 months is a testament to A&H’s vision.

Couldn’t agree more.

I might also add A&H modular series are real modular systems, unlike crippled YDGA cards, or the SC48 approach

Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rexeltw

I’ve had it unofficially confirmed (if that makes sense) that this is the case and that A&H will be supplying the replacement DSP’s for the iDR-10 & iDR-0 at a reduced rate.

FYI this isn’t the first time hardware limitations have cropped up during firmware updates. IIRC 1.6 wouldn’t run on the original production run of the modular surface as the 1gHZ processor on the SBC run out of steam!

Eventually we all get a bit old and need upgrading…

The problem for me is that my customers are looking for what they perceive as a better desk than an iLive.

To keep them happy I need my iLive-s to do a few more tricks. It’s been that way for the last 2 or 3 years.

For me it is becoming critical, and I am still very much in the dark other than your post, (thankyou). It now seems 1.9 may not work with their “top of the range” iDr10.

https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=iLiveSeries&ProductId=iDR10&SubCatId=MixRacks

We still don’t officially know (and its been quite some time) –

– What 1.9 will do?
    – When it will be released?
    – Will it work with an iDr10 or for that matter an iLive surface?
    – If it will not work with the iDr 10, will a CPU upgrade be available?
    – If an upgrade is coming, when?
    – How much will it cost?
    – What future upgrades will it support?
    – Will 1.9 work on an iLive (not iLiveT) with a iDR 48?

This type of information makes business planning much easier, but it seems that A&H are now more and more focused on the MI market and MI sales strategies.

I don’t have a problem with that, it’s a difficult market for them, but I need to carefully consider what I need in my hire inventory and at what point do I stop wasting time and spending money up grading – …1.9, AES cards, Dante, Rab2’s, 1.5 G SBC, new CPUs etc.

I can now buy two Midas Pro 2’s for the cost my iLive 144 and iDr10!

Peter

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by PeterM

Peter

If the implication here is that the Pro2 is anywhere near a professional digital console I’m going to have to ask you to go read any real-world review of it.

The Pro2 is GLD quality at best.

What I would say is, for the price of your iLive, you could have had a Venue Profile. Sort of. Without AES, without remote I/O, etc.

I totally understand the position you are in, and I do sympathize. I too wish A&H released more info, but that’s only because of the teasers that are out now. Remember, half of the functionality of the Yamaha CL is ‘forthcoming with a software release’

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Just a quick question:
    Does ANY of the other manufacturers of audio desks announce an Firmware udpdate with feature list and so on weeks before its published?

NO.

So why you are complaining about that?
    We will know exactly whats in there when it arrives.

Release is planned for October as i was told.

Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by tk2k

quote:

Originally posted by PeterM

Peter

If the implication here is that the Pro2 is anywhere near a professional digital console I’m going to have to ask you to go read any real-world review of it.

The Pro2 is GLD quality at best.

I think you may be a little confused here. Are you perhaps thinking of the X32 instead of the Midas Pro2?

Darren

Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by albin

Just a quick question:
    Does ANY of the other manufacturers of audio desks announce an Firmware udpdate with feature list and so on weeks before its published?

NO.

So why you are complaining about that?
    We will know exactly whats in there when it arrives.
    As far i have been instructed 1.9 will include:

– 4 types of Graphic EQs along with bands 31, 40 and 50Hz
    – 4 band dynamic EQ
    – 4 band multiband compressor
    – Channel Delay Bypass
    – Audio Sync from Slave Rack /xDR-16
    – Partial Bank linking
    – Input channel Stereo Width control
    – PL Switch MIX/SEL/PAFL/SceneRecall
    – Full Control of xDR port B option cards
    – Optional Start-up scene
    – Extra User permissions
    – Improved Gain Reduction metering page
    – Sort ACE redundant link / XDR issues
    – MIDI control of Aux and FX Send levels
    – MIDI control of Mix Button
    – Configurable source point in input meters page
    – New UDP system replacing Multicast metering
    – Improvements to Mix Coherency

and MAYBE an pitch shift effect.

The MixPad will be updated to 1.9 as well:
    – FX tap tempo control
    – Stereo Aux Pan control
    – Blank strips in custom layers
    – Custom layers can hold 32 strips
    – Scrolling improvements
    – Router handling improvements

So, thats reads like an fine list of updates for me and i hope all will be included in 1.9 from the beginning.

Release is planned for October.

An massive feature improvement at no cost (at least if you do not have to buy a new DSP Module).
    Thanks A&H.

That’s interesting … all I know (until now) is what I have seen on the twitter teasers….

I have been waiting a couple of years for them to improve the scene management. I can operate it, but my customers have problems. I have also been hoping for a dynamic EQ which seems to be happening.

Anyway it’s probably all moot for me as my $50,000 144/iDr10 apparently will not work with 1.9.

With respect to other manufactures releasing firmware update information …

In this case A&H had it operating at Plasa for everyone to see. After that as part of good marketing and business development strategies, I believe you need to give some sort of indication of what and when it can be expected. If you don’t rumors will be every where …and you run all sorts of risks.

Peter

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

It would be nice if we never had to upgrade anything and could carry on upgrading but reality is always different. Personally I’d rather pay the £250 to change each DSP than just accept that the desks that we’ve had on stock for 5 years or so will not be up to speed.

Other manufacturers seem to prefer releasing new cosmetically improved or feature improved boards rather than even offering the option of an actual hardware upgrade.

Also find me a price comparable system that I can use on Ethersound when I have to or ACE if I can get away with it or DANTE when I want to record.

Its all moan moan moan but gentlemen yo’ve never had it so good….

Profile photo of Leon BigEars A&H
    Leon BigEars A&H

Well it’s great to see so much animated enthusiasm and debate over an improvement to our trusty digital console!
    Firstly I would like to clarify that the only thing you would need to change on iDR10 and iDR0 MixRacks to enable it to enjoy the enhanced feature set of the proposed V1.9 is the DSP module itslf. It’s a set of chips (a bit like buying additional memory for your computer). Your investment in the interchangeable mic pres and other module formats remains sound. Turn the system off, take out 2 screws and slide in the new DSP and fire it with the new firmware. No down-time, no carriage charges, no service centre. How many systems let you do that?
    Please check with your dealer / distributor about the price of the DSP card which will be confirmed shortly. A&H is committed to supporting our loyal modular users by passing on the DSP at as near to cost as possible. There will be a reasonable handling charge to get it to you.
    We took care and deliberated about the consequences of offering V1.9 to a system in which the DSP has been natuarlly surpassed (as in the world of all computing) by cheaper and more capable devices. T series enjoyed the benefits of new DSP chipsets, GLD probably could beat them all in a shoot-out! but if either of those two models ever need a hardware upgrade, then the labour charge, down-time and associated costs would probably equal the price of the new modular DSP card.

I believe A&H has worked really hard to respond to feedback and offer a series of improvements to iLive. V1.9 feature-set is largely based on what you guys asked for. Please be patient while we test the proposed version, only then can we list the complete details of the release so you can plan ahead.

Leon Phillips
    A&H UK Product Manager

please do not adjust your set; normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rexeltw

It would be nice if we never had to upgrade anything and could carry on upgrading but reality is always different. Personally I’d rather pay the £250 to change each DSP than just accept that the desks that we’ve had on stock for 5 years or so will not be up to speed.

Other manufacturers seem to prefer releasing new cosmetically improved or feature improved boards rather than even offering the option of an actual hardware upgrade.

Also find me a price comparable system that I can use on Ethersound when I have to or ACE if I can get away with it or DANTE when I want to record.

Its all moan moan moan but gentlemen yo’ve never had it so good….

250 pounds … I was expecting more like $3500, i hope you’re correct. The next question is when … this year next year?

Peter

Profile photo of Leon BigEars A&H
    Leon BigEars A&H

BTW, I put in the blog, only because I care about you guys waiting, a few of the items that we were previwing at PLASA to show work in progress on V1.9 and maybe give some indication of the depth of the work involved behind these features. Namely:
    AES out option
    Dynamic EQ
    Graphic EQs
    Stereo IP tools
    Multi-band Compression
    Tap Tempo on MixPad
    Delay bypass

PLASA was a ‘public’ show, and anyone was welcome to visit and see for themselves where we are up to. That’s why I put up some things for people who couldnt make it along, out of enthusiasm!
    To publish a comprehensive list of proposed V1.9 features on the forum is pretty careless as, until we finish testing all aspects of the iLive family of products, we reserve the right to change withdraw, even add features as appropriate. Albin’s list looks like the sort of thing we privately show our distributors re the scope of our activities, and to pre-empt training and awareness needed before we have a product to launch. I could give him a list of what cars the R&D guys drove to work today if that helps in Austria :D

please do not adjust your set; normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.