DANTE and xDR

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of simonpmoss
    simonpmoss
    Participant

Anyone had any experience using the Dante card in the port b slot of the xDR. I can’t work out how to access the dante card in the outputs screen. I have used it in an FOH MON split situation, which was easy, but I don’t quite understand how it works in the xDR situation.

Any help would be awesome

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by simonpmoss

Anyone had any experience using the Dante card in the port b slot of the xDR. I can’t work out how to access the dante card in the outputs screen. I have used it in an FOH MON split situation, which was easy, but I don’t quite understand how it works in the xDR situation.

Any help would be awesome

There’s a whole ilive traning video on it actually, but keep in mind you only get 16 channels due to ACE bus architecture on the expander

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi

In Firmware V1.83, you get 16 inputs from a Port B card fitted to an xDR-16. However, all signals routed to Master Rack Port B will be routed to the Port B card in any xDR-16s, so you can have ‘up to’ 64 outputs, depending on what physical output sockets you are using on the xDR-16. The user interface in the Ouputs screen aims to make it relatively clear what signals go where. You can configure which Master Port B channels the output sockets on the xDR-16 use, in the Mixer Prefs setup page.

Hope this helps.

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of simonpmoss
    simonpmoss
    Participant

Thanks Jeff

So I can still record ’64 channels’ but only virtually soundcheck 16 channels?
    Is this a firmware limitation or a hardware one?

Thanks
    Simon

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by simonpmoss

Thanks Jeff

So I can still record ’64 channels’ but only virtually soundcheck 16 channels?
    Is this a firmware limitation or a hardware one?

Thanks
    Simon

The xdr has no brain so you are still limited by the fact that each brain can handle only x number of channels. That being said there’s a flip function. Watch the Dante training video if you haven’t already.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Simon

Yes, you are correct. One limitation is that out of those 64 channels, 8 of them are also routed to the physcial output sockets on the xDR-16. So you might record channels 1-56, then use 57-64 for the physical outputs (which will also come out of the Dante card, but you may not want to record whatever signals you have sent to the xDR-16 output sockets). Of course if you’re not using the physical output sockets, then you will have the full 64 channels to play with.

If you have a look in the Outputs page Port B tab, the way channels overlap should be reasonably clear. You can change where the physical output sockets overlap in the Mixer Preferences page.

We plan to allow up to 48 channels from an Option Card fitted to an xDR-16 in firmware V1.9, provided there is only one xDR-16, and no Slave rack, in the system.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ahjeff
    to an xDR-16 in firmware V1.9, provided there is only one xDR-16, and no Slave rack, in the system.

YES!![:D]

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.