Connect IDR48 to IDR0, 2 surfaces is it possible?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Connect IDR48 to IDR0, 2 surfaces is it possible?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vilddyr vilddyr 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

Hi.

I’m wondering if it is possible, to connect an IDR48 as MON to an IDR0 as FOH with a digital split, and then have an M-waves card in the IDR0?

What I want is the ability to have a digital split, and at the same time use an M-waves card in the extra card slot in the IDR0. Is this possible?

Regards, Tor

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

It seems like what you are asking is exactly what the system already does and is designed to do. I am fairly sure you can use the idr0 mwaves to process on the 48

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

No the M-waves card will not be usable as a digital split. It can only be used as split, if combined with a separate wordclock signal, which is only possible on the IDR0 and IDR10 racks.

Therefore, to use the M-waves card with the IDR0, I will need to do the digital split some other way… Ethersound/ACE whatever… But it is not clear whether this is even possible to do?! I want to have a seperate surface attached to both racks while having a digital split AND using the M-waves on the IDR0 surface… Can’t really find out if this is possible… And actually, I can’t figure out if the IDR can handle a T surface?

Regards, Tor

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by vilddyr

No the M-waves card will not be usable as a digital split. It can only be used as split, if combined with a separate wordclock signal, which is only possible on the IDR0 and IDR10 racks.

Therefore, to use the M-waves card with the IDR0, I will need to do the digital split some other way… Ethersound/ACE whatever… But it is not clear whether this is even possible to do?! I want to have a seperate surface attached to both racks while having a digital split AND using the M-waves on the IDR0 surface… Can’t really find out if this is possible… And actually, I can’t figure out if the IDR can handle a T surface?

Regards, Tor

I was not suggesting you use mwaves as a digital split just that you could transfer audio processed on mwaves over a digital split

Okay take a sep back for a second. ACE works on all ilive devices. An idr0 is just an idr brain, which will work with any ilive surface or editor. The advantage of an idr0 is your monitor and foh are it sharing dsp power, busses, etc. the idr0 is designed exactly for that, taking a digital split and being able to process it fully in 64×64.

Look at page 7 the idr0 has two card slots so it looks lkke you will have room for one digital split and an mwaves card http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?filename=DocumentMaster/uk/iDR0_ug_ap7129_1.pdf

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

This is where I think you are wrong… I might be able to get sound into the IDR0 from the IDR48, but it doesn’t really matter, because a T surface will not work with the IDR0. Then the only option is to use the ethersound and buy a modular surface. That kind of money i don’t have :)

Thanx though. Regards, Tor

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Vilddyr,

You can use a t-surface with the Idr-0. You have to use a M-ace card and It would need to be in port A rab-2 mounted into the expansion slot of ID-O. What you are wanting to do may not be possible with the IDR-O and a IDR-48 due to a limitation on the expansion slots. An Idr-0 Fited with a Rab-2 and an ace in slot a for Split, a waves card in slot B for waves processing.
    Were I am not sure is I beleive at that point you would be limited to the editor control software to control the IDR-0. If you were to run a Ace card in slot a and ace in slot b of the rab-2, then you could get the split and also control from the T-surface. You would not have Waves ability in this set up.
    Hang in there I am sure there is a way to do as you are looking for, you may just need a different roung. I dont see a lot of folks using the IDR-O on the forums much so getting response that will help may take some time.

And please if someone reads and I am leading in the wrong direction…..Correct mE. [B)]

Do you currently have the equipment you listed? or is this a system you are looking to purchase and set up?

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

Yes, exactly the problem. So it seems this will not be possible, which is very disapointing. A system that prides itself on digital distribution and compatibility, and then a simple task like this can’t be solved… Only with the big modular systems, where the M-waves card can distribute audio with the seperate word clock. That is really too bad. I am pretty sure the answer will be a passive analog split in my remote snake system instead.

Too bad, must say i am quite puzzled as to why the waves card cannot act as digital split, since it can split endless times with a standard switch, and then as soon as it is for the IDR racks it needs a seperate word clock… Weird :)

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Yes, exactly the problem. So it seems this will not be possible, which is very disapointing. A system that prides itself on digital distribution and compatibility, and then a simple task like this can’t be solved… Only with the big modular systems, where the M-waves card can distribute audio with the seperate word clock. That is really too bad. I am pretty sure the answer will be a passive analog split in my remote snake system instead.

Too bad, must say i am quite puzzled as to why the waves card cannot act as digital split, since it can split endless times with a standard switch, and then as soon as it is for the IDR racks it needs a seperate word clock… Weird :)

thats not an ilive issue its a waves issue. it was never designed for that

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Why not doing split via Dante? If Waves was for plugin purpose that can be done over Dante as well, bit more latence, but works.

ddff

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

It wouldn’t have been totally outrageus to build that wordclock port into the waves card itself, since this must be a somewhat easy problem to see coming :)

quote:

Originally posted by tk2k

quote:

thats not an ilive issue its a waves issue. it was never designed for that

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

Way too much latency, and not really an option. I was not particularly happy with my dante card, too much stress on the laptop with the DVS, and shortest latency is not very efficient for use with multirack in my experience.

quote:

Originally posted by ddff_lv

Why not doing split via Dante? If Waves was for plugin purpose that can be done over Dante as well, bit more latence, but works.

ddff

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Well… latency is something we can’t do anything about, but DVS works perfectly on MAC. I’ve tried about 6 different PC laptops with different configurations and OS, but only thing that works for me is MAC, no problems ever since.
    I don’t use plugins as everything I need is inside the iLive, but I do quite a lot of recording thru DVS.

ddff

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

I use my 1 month old macbook, so it shouldn’t really be a problem with the processing. But fact is that DVS is way too slow for actual processing. I’m not looking to record, if so, why would I be talking about using waves :)

The iLive is good for most things, but not great for bus/master processing. I need proper dynamics, multiband and some decent processing on the master. EQ’s are fine, but the comp and limiter is useless for bus/master compression, so i need something more refined and solid. And the scene system in multirack, is much nicer to work with than setting it all up on the iLive.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.