GLD Workflow for Church

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD Workflow for Church

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dancing-Frank Dancing-Frank 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I’d like to hear other’s views on show/scene/library workflow on the GLD in a church setting. We have a range of users and have set up logins and permissions for them, but should we maintain a master show with scenes for each user group, or load shows?

Thanks,
    Dave.

GLD-80, AR2412, Peavey Versarray 112s 218 & CS Amps

Profile photo of MoreTalentPlease
    MoreTalentPlease
    Participant

As far as I understood you will have the Difference between Shows and Szenes as follows: a show saves all input And Outputsettings inclusive Outputrouting, Patching and Assignments. A Scene saves not that Outrouting, Patching and Stageboxassigns.So I assume, that if you are not changing your Pa and Mon-Routing for every Show, to save it in Scenes will be the way in your case.
    Greetings from Berlin,
    Gerald

M7,PM5,KS-C Line, 12amMons, Prolyte…

Profile photo of Dancing-Frank
    Dancing-Frank
    Participant

We will also do the main work in our church with scenes. There will be a master show for the main services, maybe a second show for youthevents.

We will also try to implement a master scene which keeps all the settings of the fix outputs like childrens-room, wireless for hearing disabled, recording, which will be loaded after soundcheck so make sure, all those channels have the same settings week over week. (And to allow the operators more freedom than restricting their user permissions to much).

Our system will be set up in two weeks. I could tell you some more real life experiences afterwards :-)

Profile photo of MoreTalentPlease
    MoreTalentPlease
    Participant

quote:

We will also try to implement a master scene which keeps all the settings of the fix outputs like childrens-room, wireless for hearing disabled, recording, which will be loaded after soundcheck so make sure, all those channels have the same settings week over week. (And to allow the operators more freedom than restricting their user permissions to much).

That you should have to save NOT as a Scene, but es a Show.
    To save it as Show (within all Outputroutings and patches to your Stagbox) you must not press the “Scene”-Butten at the right side of your screen, you have to use the “setup”-button, then “memory” at the top of the screen!
    So you will save ALL Parameters including Routing and Patching.
    If You only save it as a scene in worst case following can happen: A BE will need an additional feed for his deaf drummer, plugs out your usually feed for the childrens-room and uses it for his act with maximal levelling on that feed….next Day you are patching it back and the children have party with ill levels, because, you recalled your right scene, but the increased Level of that PlugoutXLR has not been saved by the scenes….so it is important to understand the difference between Scenes and Shows! Your Decision to by a GLD is a good decision!
    Congratulations!Definately the best choice you could do at the time!
    Good Sound, really easy to handle, ton’s of FX…..I’ve got my today….after hours of playng with it I’m shure: A&H will rock the market with that nice device!

Dancing-Frank
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

To explain the “why we plan to use scenes” for the additional rooms:

First of all we use a “doubled” stage box. The GLD ARXX Racks are mounted in a regular rack. That rack has a front door with a built in XLR-Panel. So for most of the channels we use a 1:1 patch from the ARXX to the Door-Panel.
    But our users don’t have to be in touch with some of the ARXX ports, such as d-snake, Main-Outputs, Wireless Inputs and those fixed additional rooms mentioned above.
    So there’s no easy way, to accidently patch those outputs in a different port.

Second thought, why scenes and not shows, is, that scenes can contain only a few parametes instead of shows.
    Maybe the word “master-scene” was a bit confusing.
    There should only be a scene that resets those external room output parameter to their (one time adjusted) values. That is to make sure, no one has “ruined” that mix during setup and soundcheck.

Our more preferred workflow would be to lock parts of single channels for different users, but that’s impossible…

Dancing-Frank
    Participant

Okay, here I’m back with our first real life experiences [;)]

My theory mentioned a few weeks ago have not been blown away totally by reality, but leaves me unsatisfied with the whole store and safe situation.

To get everything up and running we used the LR Template from A&H and modified it the way we needed it.

My idea with the “Recall-After-Soundcheck-Scene” has not yet been implemented but seems still a good idea for us.

But what leaves me unsatisfied is the whole storing situation in context with our five operators:

We have currently one show. And we have different inputs and outputs, that stay (and should stay, for consistency) the same, week over week (wireless mics, audiofeed for different rooms, translation sound and mic, recording and so on).
    On the one hand, changes made by the operators to this channels are useful and should be used by the others in the future (finetuning wireless equalization, changing some EQ’s or Dynamics to the feed outputs etc.).
    On the other hand, the operators should not be able to change those channels “without good reason”.

One other thing that keeps me unsatisfied is the storing of “my personal mix”. The goal would be to plug in an USB Key, store my actual board this sunday, and reload it the next sunday I’m serving and be right where I left before.

How could you solve those two requirements? How have you done it in your church?

One possible solution that comes to my mind is to wait a few more weeks and in the meantime finetune wireless mics, store EQ library’s for the different capsules and finetune the audio feeds.
    Then share that show to everybody in our team to use it as their own template. That afterwards, everyone comes with their own show..
    Big hook on that solution: How do you distribute changes which should be used by everyone without changing that master show and let everyone start from scratch with their personal show?!

Other scenario would be to use only one show and give every operator his “own” scene (maybe the last 10 scenes in the scene manager).
    Plus my “Recall-After-Soundcheck-Scene” to eliminate mistakes, made to those “fix” channel settings.
    Question to this solution would be, what is the storing difference between shows and scenes? Only the I/O Patch and Routing? Than this solution could work, cause I think we don’t need to change the routing that much after the first period of time. Otherwise the operator have to store a copy of the show to make his routing changes not affect the Master-Show.

So: comments, ideas, your way’s of handling that?

Btw: We are a 400pax church with 3 Sunday Services and actually 5 board operators. Additionally there should be a “band-rehearsal” scene with a guest user to give the bands the opportunity to rehearse during the week without an operator with a standard setup and mix.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.