Sending commands thru TCP to the mixrack?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Sending commands thru TCP to the mixrack?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mervaka mervaka 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sylvester
    Sylvester
    Participant

Hey all!
    I am trying to figure out if you can somehow send TCP commands to the ilive to for example press a mix button on a aux? Anyone had any luck trying to communicate with the mixrack without using editor/surface/midi?

I’ve designed an environment (in Logic) for the Behringer BCF2000 controller that has control over 64 userdefined faders along with 2×64 knobs and 2×64 pushbuttons. It works like a charm, but for it to be REALLY useful, i would like to be able to press the “Mix” button to have sends on faders WITHOUT using the editor. As the MIDI protocol is – well – handicapped, i thought that i would be able to access the commands through TCP if i’m not mistaken.. :)

Any ideas?

Best,
    Sylvester

Profile photo of joefi
    joefi
    Participant

hi Sylvester,

look here -> https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/CategoryDocuments/iLive%20TCPIP%20Protocol%20V1.8%20iss2.pdf

thats all whats is possible at the moment over TCP/IP, I´m pretty sure that alot of us users wish much more to come within the next Firmware?!

regards

joe

iDR32 + IPad1 + Laptop
    *** less is more ***

Sylvester
    Participant

That’s what i thought.. But the editor communicates to the mixrack, and my logic tells me that i should be able to as well then? :)
    Lets say that i somehow filter out WHAT’S been sent to the mixrack when i push the Mix button, i should be able to replicate that and shoot it at the mixrack too, right? They should still be transmitting through TCP, not some magic hocus pocus, so it must be possible somehow.. :)

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Sylvester

That’s what i thought.. But the editor communicates to the mixrack, and my logic tells me that i should be able to as well then? :)
    Lets say that i somehow filter out WHAT’S been sent to the mixrack when i push the Mix button, i should be able to replicate that and shoot it at the mixrack too, right? They should still be transmitting through TCP, not some magic hocus pocus, so it must be possible somehow.. :)

You mean you are basically trying to build macros for the ilive? And this can’t be done from the current documentation? Hmm I’d give them a call first. Ilive control data is 9.1mbps because it sends all data even if nothing has changed, therefor that’s a lot of sorting through.

Where I’d start is hacking apart the editor software instated and seeing what function is called by pressing mix

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

The surfaces aren’t dumb controllers like the BCF is. The MIX/SEL buttons are local to each control interface, unlike the PAFL bus, which is shared. I’m not sure how the AHNet protocol works, but I am sure the BCF won’t be able to process MIX/SEL stuff standalone. I’ve made a feature request myself for MIDI mappings in editor to include MIX/SEL as it currently does with MUTE/PAFL. Of course, this would require a computer running editor, and not just a standalone BCF.

Sylvester
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mervaka

The surfaces aren’t dumb controllers like the BCF is. The MIX/SEL buttons are local to each control interface, unlike the PAFL bus, which is shared. I’m not sure how the AHNet protocol works, but I am sure the BCF won’t be able to process MIX/SEL stuff standalone. I’ve made a feature request myself for MIDI mappings in editor to include MIX/SEL as it currently does with MUTE/PAFL. Of course, this would require a computer running editor, and not just a standalone BCF.

Mervaka, i think you misunderstood me (although it gets complicated just trying to explain to my self how it should work). The BCF is actually not really controlling anything – Logic is. Logic is then controlling my BCF (Logic having control over 64 simultaneus channels of fader, mute, PFL, gain and HPF data instead of the BCF only controlling 8 channels of simultaneus data)
    The main thing is that i would like to know what data is sent to the mixrack (through TCP) when pressing MIX in the editor.
    Sadly i am not a software engineer, so my knowledge is probably flawed when it comes to reverse engineering. I downloaded a freeware TCP-sniffer which gave me a bunch of data, but it was way out of my league trying to figure out what was going on. :)

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Maybe I misunderstood you slightly, but the same applies to logic. It isn’t as simple and clear cut as you make out. I’m not party to protocol information, but at a guess I don’t think anything is explicitly sent when MIX is pressed, it just presents the user with a different ‘window’ of information via the faders, then the information sent back via the faders has parameters relevant to the current mix. Like I said, this is only an educated guess, based on the notion that multiple editors/iPads etc can have different mixes, so there is no mix ‘state’ happening in the iDR. Same for SEL.

Sylvester
    Participant

Ah, i see what you are saying. Makes actually more sense if that’s the case.. But that sinks the project for me anyway. It probably would be possible to reverse engineer the editor to find the hidden functions and parse them into usable commands for the BCF, but it is too big a task for me to do. Moving on.. :)

Thanks for your input guys
    Sylvester :)

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

your best bet is to just run mixpad. i’ve tried going down the BCF route myself, but the BCF can’t handle layers too well.

here are my device mappings etc

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.