Linked system

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kentlowt kentlowt 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

Hey guys,

I just want to check something with you all.

At my church we currently have a T-112 with an iDR-64 for FOH and monitors. We are in the process upgrading our audio desk for media section and were looking at getting a T-80 with an iDR-16 and then joining the mixracks as you would in Linked FOH/Monitor system. In our case it would be a Linked FOH (and monitors)/Media system. The FOH iDR-64 would be the master and the media iDR-16 would be the slave.

The question that I really want to ask is this- I know that Port B will provide a digital mic split but the gains separate? The A&H online documentation on this is a bit vague. It is vital for each engineers to have complete control over own gains.

I do have some follow up questions to this but this is the most important.

Cheers

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

The gain is shared,you only have one analogue pre amp. either one surface retains control of the analogue gain while the other uses the Trim control which I believe is + and – 24dB of digital gain, or, my preference is once the gains are roughly set then each surface swaps to trim mode that way no unexpected gain changes occur affecting both surfaces.
    Lots of people complain about the lack of gain tracking etc, however never found it a problem so far in the last 5 years or so. I think the only true separate system is on the Midas XL8 but I am sure I will be corrected on that.

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Mr B

The gain is shared,you only have one analogue pre amp. either one surface retains control of the analogue gain while the other uses the Trim control which I believe is + and – 24dB of digital gain, or, my preference is once the gains are roughly set then each surface swaps to trim mode that way no unexpected gain changes occur affecting both surfaces.

Thanks for clearing that up. Two question on the trim mode: Is it changed to trim mode for both at the master or does the slave have to change it as well? I am assuming it is done at the master. If so, does that mean there is no way that slave can accidentally change it?

I have a few other questions if you don’t mind.

I know that all mixracks provide dsp power to process up to 64 input channels no matter the number of actual physical inputs. This is fine for the iDR-16 from the iDR-64, I just go to the quick input source setup. But what about the iDR-64? If I need inputs from the iDR-16, how do I actually get those inputs if I can only have 64 inputs to the iDR-64? Or is it fine and have I misunderstood something?

Lastly, if I change a name of an input in Editor or surface for the master will this inputs name be changed for the slave? i.e I change “BkVox1” to “Suzzie” at FOH, will it also change on the media slave?

Cheers

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

quote:

I know that all mixracks provide dsp power to process up to 64 input channels no matter the number of actual physical inputs. This is fine for the iDR-16 from the iDR-64, I just go to the quick input source setup. But what about the iDR-64? If I need inputs from the iDR-16, how do I actually get those inputs if I can only have 64 inputs to the iDR-64? Or is it fine and have I misunderstood something?

You select your input sources on both in the same way. This means that if you want to use digital inputs on the iDR-64, you will not be able to use all 64 analog inputs. Otherwise they are the same.

iDr48/T-112/MADI

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Bear,

What you are doing is a digital split. This is different from a master and slave rack set up. In a digital split the only thing that is shared is the analogue pre amp. Run it as suggested. Assign your gain to the IDR 64 to get set for sound checks. Once gain is set, then the Monitor and foh switch to trim settings. As far as input names, they would be system specific at foh or monitor. Editor and a pc or mixpad would also be system,FOH or Monitor specific. one could be changed without effect on the other.

When you mention master and slave, you would be linking 2 mixracks together to get all 128 digital chan of processing. So both racks would work as one with some limitations and advantages. In reading you questions I think the Digital split is what you are trying to accomplish. Have fun, this is a great system to operate and learn from…

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

We are currently doing the exact same thing you are wanting to do with a digital split as Jeff was suggesting. The dual rack mode is not really what you are wanting. Like others have said it works just fine. You can map all the inputs from one system to the other. The gain is set by the originating mix rack. The split only has trim available to it.

We map a production feed to FOH so we can play back audio through the house from videos they run from production. Production also takes our audio channels and produces audio for the dvds, streaming and cd recording. Works great.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.