M-waves Soundgrid overloading my ACE connection

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions M-waves Soundgrid overloading my ACE connection

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

Hi.

I’ve been trying to set things up for recording with the m-waves card, while running editor on the same mac for monitor, and then an R72 for FOH.

But theres a problem, after a while the network bridge red light lights up, and the surface loses connection. The mixrack and m-waves is connected to a gigabit switch, and then i connect my laptop to this switch. I used to do this with Dante, to be able to have edit and recording on the same MacBook, but it seems with the m-waves card, because of this setup, it tunnels all the soundgrid audio into the iLive network? Overloading the surface connection. The weird thing is, that even though I pull out both the mixrack and m-waves connection, I still have to reset network connection in order for mixrack to regain connection with surface. The connection is somehow stuck, which indicates an overloaded network bridge.

Is this thing simply not possible? If i want to control soundgrid through the ACE connection, then how do i set this up?

Profile photo of inlinemedia
    inlinemedia
    Participant

hi!

… i’ll check this in the afternoon :)

greetz,
    andie

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

inlinemedia
    Participant

… do you have activated the sg driver (coreaudio) on your mac, that you use for multirack soundgrid and ilive editor?
    if so – DEactivate it!

greetz,
    andie

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

Hmm… So if they are on the same network, i can’t have the soundgrid standalone driver running at all!? That can’t really be the case…

inlinemedia
    Participant

… i mean: you have to deactivate the sg driver on the mac you run multirack sg.
    this is because the m-waves card sees the mac as a “big” multichannel soundcard and wants to transport all audio through ace.
    but with multirack sg you just send/receive controldata to the server.

that are my considerations …

greetz,
    andie

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

Yeah, but that doesn’t make any sense. The computer is not connected to the surface, but to the switch. So it should not pass down the ACE connection. That’s the exact problem :)

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Vilddyr,

Your setup should work. Are you using static IP addresses or DHCP? Have you tried connecting the laptop and server directly to the card (bypassing the switch)?

We have tried this setup here (Editor, Multirack and recording/playback all on one computer) and even ran a webinar with Internet traffic on the same network.

If the problem persists, please submit a ticket to Tech Support through our website, so we can investigate things further.

Nicola
    A&H

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

This card is behaving quite strange. I tried connecting it to the same switch as the network port from the mixrack, as i did with my previous dante card. A router is connected to the switch, to handle DHCP for connected laptops etc. This does not work. My mac doesn’t find the card. But it does find the sound grid server, EVEN when the mac is connected directly to the M-waves card, it still doesn’t recognize the card in the soundgrid driver software (!). So to be specific: Everything is joined ind the switch, Mixrack network port, M-waves Soundgrid port, Soundgrid server, and Router to handle DHCP. I then connect the laptop, and thought i should be able to record, control the server, and run editor at the same time. What am i missing?! I could see the sound grid server, but not the M-waves card in my sound grid inventory. VERY weird.

After some reboots and connecting sound grid port 1 directly to the mixrack network ports, and not to the switch (still connected to the switch, though through the mixrack switch and from there to the shared switch mentioned above), i was able to find the M-waves card on my mac. How can this be?! The documentation of these network curiosities is lacking to say the least.

Regards, Tor

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

Please note, that even when i removed the external switch entirely, and just plugged in my laptop directly to the waves card, with nothing else connected, it did not work either. But maybe the problem here, is that there is no unit to hand out DHCP addresses? That should be the most basic thing to do, but the M-waves card was not found in the soundgrid driver.

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi vilddyr,

There is no need for a DHCP server on a SoundGrid network.
    Please have a look at the ‘Understanding Waves SoundGrid and iLive’ document available in the M-Waves product page. This contains a few application diagrams and network FAQs.

Before troubleshooting the network and switch scenario, we need to make sure your Waves card is working ok.

Try and connect your computer straight to the Waves card, with nothing else plugged in the card. Launch MultiRack, open the Inventory window, click the Refresh button. If ‘Allen&Heath IO’ still is not listed in the window, please contact your dealer or distributor for tech support or submit a ticket with all relevant information (card serial number, iLive firmware version, type and length of cables used, MultiRack software version, OS version) here: https://www.allen-heath.com/uk/support/Pages/support.aspx

Nicola
    A&H

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

I tried exactly that yesterday, so the card must be faulty. Will doublecheck monday morning.

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

OK. I have tested thoroughly, and the card works, and i can get the system working with laptop as editor/multirack sound grid/soundgrid driver for virtual soundcheck and the surface running at the same time. Runs perfectly.

I then disconnect the laptop, turn of the soundgrid driver, connect the laptop to the surface to control the sound grid server, but it overloads the ACE connection instantly, and the surface will not even reconnect after i disconnect the laptop. The system is locked, and must have a FULL restart to work again. I really can’t figure out what’s happening…!

Would it be better to have the surface be the DHCP server? Now it is the 815 router.

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

Hmm… It seems I’ve found the “error”. It does not suffice to turn off the Soundgrid Driver, you have to turn off the soundgrid connections in order to not get ACE overload.. This should be stated in the manual.

Nicola, could you please help me, as I’m on a slow connection, and I’m using multirack 2.0.1.1 from an old installation. There’s no actual problem getting the soundgrid to work, but multirack just lists the M-waves card as unknown hardware, and it is only possible to activate 32 channels…?

Regards, Tor

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi vilddyr,

I’m afraid you have to update to Multirack SG 2.5.
    Downloads and instructions here:
    https://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=11879

Nicola
    A&H

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.