Using a Pendrive & USB ports for music

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Using a Pendrive & USB ports for music

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of papromike papromike 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonesthe-sound
    Jonesthe-sound
    Participant

I’ve only just got round to trying the USB stick. Firstly didn’t know if I put some music on a pendrive would it automaticaly see it and play it? Answer NO. So i then down loaded the latest firmware v1.1 onto the empty stick. In the AllenHeathGLD folder. Put that into the desk, hit firmware update, that worked. Desk switched itself off & on and uploaded fine. All my saved templates were still there! I then took it out and back into my PC dragged & dropped some music into the AllenHeathGLD folder put back into desk and it found it and played. One thing it plays MP3 & MP4 audio but not any music thats in windows Audio Media File format. I’ve not tried recording yet or saving show scenes to stick. I’ve dragged and dropped my setup templates onto the stick and that worked fine.
    One thing for an update would be the added feature of it being able to read the music in folders. Then you could find the artist or walk up music for awards etc easier. Where as now its all in one big long list! Still i suppose if you were working on a show you could have a seperate pendrive with just the awards music on that and another full various back ground stuff. Over all it’s a great feature to have.

Jonesthe-sound
    Participant

I would just like to add that i used a 2MB USB pendrive for all the above. I have just tried the same thing using an 8MB USB pendrive and it will not work. I have not got a 4MB stick so i can’t try that. So at the moment all i can asume is that it will not work using bigger than 2MB

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

This is from a post sometime back relating to iLive’s but I believe its the same for GLD’s…

“I had same type problems when updating to 1.63 earlier this year. I had three different USB sticks and console recognized only one stick of those three. I sent one stick, which didn’t work, to AH and got this answer from Chris:

“At last we have some news on the USB stick problem.

USB stick manufacturers are using multiple memory segments to create larger sticks. For instance, an 8GB stick may comprise 8x 1GB segments. During manufacture, these segments sometimes join perfectly, sometimes have a gap between them and sometimes the joins overlap.

On a stick where segmants overlap, Linux is unable to handle the ‘structure’ and will not see our files. The way the segments join is not an issue with Windows and Mac so the USB device manufacturing industry is not too concerned.”

Maybe time to try some different sticks…

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Jonesthe-sound
    Participant

Hmm interseting. Thought it was a bit strange reading only one. By the way it was 2GB stick not 2MB oops sure you all knew that anyway.

Profile photo of papromike
    papromike
    Participant

Use Kingston or Sandisk brands. I have always had the best luck with them. NO formatting needed. I put on a combination of wave and MP4 files and I have. 32gB Kingston Microdisk usb2.0). Works great.

Vice President of Sales
    Allen & Heath USA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.