System frozen?? Argh!

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions System frozen?? Argh!

This topic contains 36 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ronnykoning ronnykoning 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

Hi everybody.
    Last weekend I was using the GLD with a music band, connected with only AR2412, starting with “MainLR” template. In the same time I was recording on a USB pendrive (I always do it). A pretty common work.
    But in the middle of a song the surface went frozen! screen and lights blocked, faders and buttons unresposive, but sound was still working (luckily, though I had no control on it).
    This situation continued for more or less than 10 secs, in the meantime I detached the usb pendrive (first think was some problem with it) causing no immediate response, but after some more seconds, the mixer returned to working like nothing was happened (the song was not ended so noone but me noticed the freezing). The usb recorder was still active althought the pendrive was detached, so I stopped it.
    The rest of the show went fine, no other problems, but when I tried to power it down, a strange random color screen appeared, then black screen with blinking cursor. No “it’s now safe to….” screen.
    The day after I made another show and nothing strange was happened, so I really don’t know how to reproduce this strange situation.
    System log said nothing strange about this freezing, perhaps there’s a more detailed log somewhere?

I don’t know what to do..

Regards
    Massimo

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Byondo

This is interesting.

Can you please contact A&H technical Support and describe with as much detail as possible what you were doing leading up to this problem starting, exactly what happened during the problem and how the desk recovered.
    What type of USB key you were using?
    Please also include a copy of the event logs.
    and any other details you can think of.

https://www.allen-heath.com/uk/support/Pages/support.aspx

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

Hey Sam
    what do you mean with “tech support”? My local distributor or your headquarter in UK? Do I have to open a support ticket?
    How can I copy the event logs from the mixer?

In the meantime I formatted the usb pendrive (it’s a 8GB Freecom “UsbCard”), the “slow and complete way”.
    Let’s see this week….

Regards
    Massimo

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Byondo

Please contact A&H technical support in the UK, yes you will need to open a support ticket. Please use the link i provided previously.

To copy the event logs go to Setup select the tab Utility – Diagnostics, then put a USB key into either of the ports on the surface and press the ‘Copy logs to USB’ button in the bottom left of the screen. Please then attach the file to the support ticket.
    The log file will be located on the USB key in :AllenHeathGLDEventLogs

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of StreetKirb
    StreetKirb
    Participant

My new GLD System just did this as well (froze). It was unresponsive for about 90 seconds though. I’ll be contacting AH Support on Monday. This is very troubling behavior.

Bryan Kirby
    aka StreetKirb

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by StreetKirb

My new GLD System just did this as well (froze). It was unresponsive for about 90 seconds though. I’ll be contacting AH Support on Monday. This is very troubling behavior.

Bryan Kirby
    aka StreetKirb

Let us know what they say to you!
    Mine, after that bad situation, never froze up again, meanwhile I updated the firmware (1.02).

Regards
    Massimo

Profile photo of David J.
    David J.
    Participant

Hello, I’ve had that problem too , only once, about 15 seconds, screen locked not work, the faders do not respond, but the sound worked. It has not happened again so far. First I did not care, but I read this and I worry more. Hope is resolved!

GLD-80

Profile photo of David J.
    David J.
    Participant

Hello, I’ve had that problem too , only once, about 15 seconds, screen locked not work, the faders do not respond, but the sound worked. It has not happened again so far. First I did not care, but I read this and I worry more. Hope is resolved!

GLD-80

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by perdut

GLD-80

uhm….already 3 users…uhm…
    Do you remember which firmware you had that moment?
    have you been recording or reproducing something from a usb pendrive?
    Did you notice anything strange when you switched it off?

hope A&H tech’s discover it, I don’t know any other useful info’s I can submit; the “event log” is pretty unuseful (it just says when you boot it up, load some template or scene, and when you turn it off).

Regards
    Massimo

Profile photo of StreetKirb
    StreetKirb
    Participant

I was using 1.02. I was recording to the USB ports. It seems like the console doesn’t shut down properly afterwards, because the next time we started up it told us the shut down was improper even through we had actaully gone through the shut down procedure.

Bryan Kirby
    aka StreetKirb

Profile photo of outformator
    outformator
    Participant

Got the same problem with my GLD80 (it stays frozen for up to 3 min, than turns back to its working condition or sometimes need to be restarted).
    I was thinking over one funny reason for this trouble — I am just too fast to push different knobs, all those that i need and those that i don’t for sure. So the system may stay to much loaded with all my demands.
    Anyways, I will try to contact A&H and send them the log file. Has anybody already received any answers from tech service staff?
    thank you

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

To try and pin down the problem, has anyone had this happen while NOT recording to a flash drive? Is it exclusive to 8GB(and over?) drives or can it happen with all sizes?

I don’t fully understand it but I know that USB memory is more easily/cheaply/commonly available in “chunks” under a certain size. Larger “chunks” are available but are harder to come by / more expensive. Larger size flash drives can be created from smaller “chunks” by “bridging” them together. This “bridging” isn’t a problem on Windows or Mac, but the Linux OS doesn’t like it.

Allen and Heath to my knowledge recommend Sandisk or Kingston drives. I have two Kingston DT101’s which have given me no problems. I also know of other unbranded 8GB drives which work fine. I have seen a 32GB drive not even be recognized by the GLD. Presumably because a drive of that size has been made from one or more “bridged” “chunks”.

On the other hand, I may be totally off the mark… [:)]

Chris

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

It happened to us in Dec with no flash drive present. I’m guessing it’s a RAM reservation/allocation issue in the control OS which can be triggered by saving presets, show files and asking for help files too often between boots.

I haven’t tried to crash it on purpose yet but I’ll wager that I can crash it by repeatedly doing those operations.

Let’s see, I’ll bet a dollar against a doughnut.

Any takers?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I like doughnuts.

Chris

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

From dark freeze thread.
    12/20/2012
    I was called by a customer tonight about a situation that occurred during a rehearsal.
    The customer saved a scene and things looked odd. The scene list was changed or had reverted to an earlier list. So…..
    The customer hit the help button for help. Touch screen went dark and the surface was locked. Mute buttons, talk back button etc. wouldn’t work. Audio throughput was maintained. The customer called me and I told him to hard reset and reload the show file.

Normal operation returned.

The Aviom system continued to pass audio, the d snake 2412 and 84 continued to pass audio.

I’m only guessing but….. I think the OS gacked due to a memory allocation issue or a software problem that ran it out of memory. It was working fine after reboot two hours later so it doesn’t seem to be a hardware issue.

there is an old post of mine about it:
    https://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2072
    never happened again, though (but never seen an official answer by A&H too..)

regards
    Massimo

This condition hasn’t happened since with over 40 hours of operation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.