Assigning slave inputs to direct out

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Assigning slave inputs to direct out

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of 01soundman 01soundman 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of erasedslate
    erasedslate
    Participant

We have a Dual Rack setup where I need to assign an input from the slave rack to a direct out on the master. I go to the Outputs screen, but it only allows me to assign channels 1-64, so I am not seeing the most direct way to accomplish this task.

Any help?

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Im not sure what you are trying to accomplish. It sounds strange that you would have to do that.
    In a dual rack mode, the master rack process channels 1-64 and the slave rack process channels 65-128. They all route to the same busses and you can move the strips wherever you’d like. Please explain what you are trying to do and im sure someone heree will have a workaround or a solution.

Btw.. On the output page, there should be tabs for both racks, and you can only assign direct outs of 65-128 out of the slave rack.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

erasedslate
    Participant

Setup: iDR10 – Master, iDR16 – Slave, 144 Surface

What I need is an input on the slave rack to be a direct output on the master.

Essentially, I am using an Aviom without the Multi_out. So, there are 16 outs on the Master Rack that being used for aviom. For most of the band, the outputs are directly mapped to the inputs.

I have the Bass and Rythym Guitars in the Slave Rack. I need to map the inputs of those guitars to the Outputs of the Master Rack.

gilparente
    Participant

Im afraid the only way you will be able to do this is to move the guitar and bass channels to numbers 1 through 64. If they land on the slave rack (65-128) they cannot be routed through the first rack.
    Off course you could always patch those channels out of the slave rack and just use a different cable to get to the aviom input module. But the solution that you are asking for cannot be done. You could always move your channels around so all your aviom channels land on 1-64.

Just think of the Dual Rack mode as a dual console link. The link between the consoles are for all your bussing. ACE link there is doing the link so both “consoles” access the same busses. If it was to give you direct out between racks it would have to give you the 64 channels worth, plus the 32 busses, plus network traffic, which is all too much for the protocol. Because of that they restrict some of the patching to stay inside the same rack (console)

Hope this helps.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

erasedslate
    Participant

Now I feel like I am asking questions I should already know the answer to. Is there anyway to use ACE Port B to route the inputs from slave to master, like a digital split? Since the direct approach didn’t work, is there a more complicated work-around?

Profile photo of KB7981
    KB7981
    Participant

How about setting up 2 extra aux sends (pre fade) and send just the bass to one and the rhythym to the other and then route each of those auxs to the aviom channels you wish to use.

Not exactly a direct out, but it is a work around. As a side benefit, you would gain extra processing for those two Aviom channels from the aux buss processing.

Kris
    Indiana, USA

gilparente
    Participant

Erasedslate

The only way, would be to run a digital split between your consoles and run them independently. You would need two ACE or Dante cards to link them. But it seems a lot of complication for a simple solution: just move those channels to 1-64. Remember, you an still move the channels to another strip so it lays out how you want.
    Simple solution, or I am missing something.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

erasedslate
    Participant

I really can’t move those channels to the Master. The Master is in the back of the facility where all of the inputs reside. The Slave is on stage with the drum cage and a few rhythym instruments. Gives our situation more flexibility so we only have to plug in a CAT5 cable to move the drum cage around.

Sounds like the best option is to map each of the 3 instruments to their own aux channel.

gilparente
    Participant

Correct, hopefully you Will have those busses available.. :-)

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi

You should be able to select the slave rack device in the Outputs screen, then route your bass and rythm guitars to Port A ACE channels 33 and 34. Now select the master rack, and select the iDR-10 tab. Choose an Aviom channel on your multi-out card, and as the source, choose Port B ACE channel 33.

The slave > master rack bus connections only use the first 32, and last 2 channels of the ACE card, and in only one direction. The other 30 slave > master channels are free to use as you wish, as are all 64 of the master > slave channels.

Hope this helps.

cheers

– Jeff

[edit] to change reference to ‘Port A’ to ‘Port B’ [/edit]

erasedslate
    Participant

I must be missing something in this setup because I can assign the Bass and Rhythym guitars on the SlaveRack ACE Port to channels 33, 34. However, it does not route that to ACE Port A on the Master.

It would be awesome if that would work, however, something must not be configured correctly to make it work.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Sorry, I made a mistake in my post (which I have now edited). “choose Port A ACE channel 33.” should say “choose Port B ACE channel 33.”.

You will also need redundant link for Port B ACE turned ON, in order for the system to take channels 33 upwards from the master Port B ACE card’s Link 1 (we are looking at revising this option for the next version, to make it more clear). Access this option in the Mix Rack setup, Mixer prefs, Port A/B page.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

erasedslate
    Participant

THAT WORKED!! Awesome! Thank You! Once I enabled Redundant Link for ACE Port B on the master, it started working. Now I don’t have to change my AUX setup.

ES

Profile photo of 01soundman
    01soundman
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ahjeff

….(we are looking at revising this option for the next version, to make it more clear). ….

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

PULEEZE make sure to let us know (special flag, bold print, something) if that change makes it into 1.9 when it’s released!

I use this feature to feed a Dante card and want to be sure I don’t upset folks due to channels ‘missing’.

Thanks!
    RayH

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.