MixPad: A Failure

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions MixPad: A Failure

This topic contains 77 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

My iPad 2 continues to behave as described in my original post. Until a fix is forthcoming from either A&H or Apple I think it’s time to get an iPad 1.

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Guys

An update before everyone goes and buys an iPad1.

We’ve been investigating the issues described above, and have been working on a solution for customers experiencing issues with iPad 2/3.

We’re currently testing the modifications, and an update for MixPad should be available shortly.

Cheers

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

hey just in time…now as i own a ipad 1 and it works fine – business as usual – never change a running system ? or do you suggest to update anyway?

cheers
    dave

allways latest firm and software
    iLive-144/t-80/idr-10 /idr-48/dante/pl-6/eyepad 1/belkin router/

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Dave

Most of the changes relate to stability modifications targeted at dual core iPad’s, and address the wifi power save features which only appear to affect iPad 2+.

If you’re happy and stable on an iPad 1 you probably won’t notice a difference.

The only slight feature modification is along the lines of Wouter’s suggestion, which will give fast notification when you’re out of wifi range.

Cheers

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Andy,

That is great news!

*Big Smile*

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Andy –

I’ve posted when I’ve had great results with the iPad 1. Lately I’ve had anything but…

Recent jobs:
    – 2 outdoor (tent) wedding receptions (150, 240 ppl), mixing no further than 50′ from the router, (generally 15-30′) too many disconnects to use reliably. These required restarting the app.
    – last job, setting monitor levels, etc. on stage ~ 15′ from router, a couple of “freezes” one of which self corrected. * I mixed this job from a wired r72 with the iPad sitting on the same table ~ 40′ from the router, bodies between, no disconnects, though I only used it for monitor adjustments on stage. (8 hr. gig)
    – outdoor, free air, approx. 70′ from router, full line of sight, half dozen disconnects over course of 6 hour job. Oddly, the laptop running Editor maintained throughout… (always at 5 gig)

I’m happy to invest in whatever iPad works, but I’m not quite there yet…

Regards,

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA
    T112/48 R72/32 laptop iPad Dir-815 Dante

Profile photo of Markgcarter
    Markgcarter
    Participant

Hi gents,

We have a mixPad running on IPAD2 issue so this thread helps. Our experience is the frequent drop outs, only fixed by reboots of the app. Our observation is we find the meters are still running despite the faders and mix selections no longer responding. Is this in line with everyone else’s experience or are we unique? Would just like to ask (Andy) before the app update rolls out. It has made “spotting” the drop out difficult and limited our return on investment as we never use the app live due to poor reliability.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

That’s pretty much what I’ve been experiencing on my iPad2. As I’ve said before, I purchased the MixRack with the intention of running it from both the Editor and MixPad. I was under the assumption that if similar applications from PreSonus and Yamaha worked (based upon my experience) then it was highly likely that one from Allen & Heath would work, especially since it wasn’t free by a long shot.

It’s been extremely disappointing for me to find that MixPad isn’t as robust as expected. My only hope at this point is that the upcoming update from A&H will take care of the problem. Either that or I will get an iPad 1, which seems to have fewer issues. For what it’s worth, the Cisco E2500 router seems to be the best performer, though dropouts still occur. It also seems that turning off metering in MixPad helps, something we shouldn’t have to do.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by arsound

….similar applications from PreSonus and Yamaha worked (based upon my experience) then it was highly likely that one from Allen & Heath would work…

I do respect A&H for competing against big players like Yamaha.
    At the same time, I really hope that they would consider using crowdsourcing techniques to develop the platform.
    Why not provide an open API so a bunch of programmers can write nice Apps (or Editor extensions).
    Often there is a reluctance of doing so, but most companies that did this benefit a lot from it.
    Good apps, good editor software would certainly help hardware sales as well (which in turn would help rider acceptance)

In order not to be misunderstood: i LOVE ILIVE!!! And A&H is definitely the company that has the most direct contact with their customers.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Personus app is really good, but it’s got limitations too.

Have you guys actually used the Yamaha apps? They’re terrible, at least the ls9 one is. Scene recall takes at least twenty seconds for the iPad to register (says syncing) meaning it useless as an actual scene management and interface app. You can’t do any real setup and you can’t access fx racks geqs or anything like that.
    Now ah need tO do some work, but really the truth is MOST digital audio console apps are terrible. Venue doesnt even have one, Midas doesn’t really count, not does Personus because the consoles were built with app integration in mind. For the ilive this is a retrofit, and it’s a damn good one compared to Yamaha. Btw there’s still no 5d app, I know a lot of Yamaha guys vert disappointed with that.
    Is it perfect? No, but to say its of lower quality than other retrofit apps is just untrue

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by tk2k

Have you guys actually used the Yamaha apps?
    Is it perfect? No, but to say its of lower quality than other retrofit apps is just untrue

Yes, I’ve used both apps extensively, and yes, MixPad offers more functionality. But the others don’t stop working in the middle of a show, like MixPad does, and it does so several times a night. I can use the PreSonus and Yamaha consoles for setup and their respective apps for running a show. What I need most often is to tweak levels and make monitor adjustments. The other apps do this without interruption. It’s the disconnections that make MixPad an inferior product for my purposes.

I must end on the positive note that I love the iLive system and will stick with it until MixPad starts working reliably, which I trust will happen sooner or later.

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

LS9, iPad, disconnects.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,138663.0.html

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA

Profile photo of Geddy
    Geddy
    Participant

whatever competitive solutions are, I need to rely on MixPad if I use it on jobs. There’s no patients of my customers waiting to restart the app after fail. Yes, it’s fine to check/trim monitors on stage and to surprise some customers remote controlling the surface, but no more for me.

At the end of the day there might be a good competitive analysis at A&H, for sure there is a comprehensive list of failure reports and feature requests from very committed users covering iLive firmware as well as Editor and MixPad apps. Hope they got enough power and a lucky hand to challenge this project.

Looking forward to get an update and enhancement of all three software as a major step soon. Today it feels like being long overdue…

Günter Eisbach
    dL-Recording
    Darmstadt / Germany

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Detonator

LS9, iPad, disconnects.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,138663.0.html

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA

Very interesting. For whatever reason, I have no disconnects at all with StageMix on the LS9. It’s rock solid for me.

Profile photo of AndyH
    AndyH

Hi All,

We have software in test at the moment that addresses the issues. We have found some additional issues which we are focused on fixing prior to release. However, we do not foresee this taking a long period of time.
    Please be patient whilst we complete the latter stages of this work.

We hope to get a new version of MixPad out there soon!

AndyH

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.