WAN mixrack networking?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions WAN mixrack networking?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tk2k tk2k 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Our IT department is 100% refusing to allow us to set up an independent wireless network for the iLive editor and mix rack system, and I was wondering if there’s any problems you could see to hooking it up to the campus network. Generally I’d view this as a terrible idea, but seeing as it doesn’t run an embedded Windows OS like several other consoles, I see less of an issue. Any thoughts?

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

Sharing a wi-fi network with an unknown number of people is not an option if you are depending on wi-fi during your shows.

Tell them to get over or install a wi-fi router somewhere in the rack and do not broadcast SSID. If they ask tell them you are on a special bluetooth network or something. Prefer 5Ghz, disable 2.4Ghz if you can. Activate MAC filtering and use encryption. Try to scan to see if anything else is occupying the 5Ghz channel you will be using.

Remember that iLive editor is free and anyone can install in his/her computer therefore you must secure each profile with a password. Being on the same campus network is unacceptable. Once people see what you are doing, they will come and ask and they they will get some ideas. Some of those nerds will be ready to goof around and you cannot afford to tolerate their jokes during real shows.

IDR32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    idontPad1&3
    M-Dante
    M-Waves.

p.s. I have an extra M-MADI card for sale. PM me if you are interested.

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Thank you,

I was assuming this would be the case. They actually have frequency interference software and have claimed that they need ‘all wireless channels for future use’ whatever that means, even 5.8ghz band. If I hide the SSID I assume they won’t be able to detect it, so ill probably go that route.

Thanks for the advice. Considering MADI but to be honest I’ve got to check with local rental companies to see what digital split types they support.

quote:

Originally posted by letmefix

Sharing a wi-fi network with an unknown number of people is not an option if you are depending on wi-fi during your shows.

Tell them to get over or install a wi-fi router somewhere in the rack and do not broadcast SSID. If they ask tell them you are on a special bluetooth network or something. Prefer 5Ghz, disable 2.4Ghz if you can. Activate MAC filtering and use encryption. Try to scan to see if anything else is occupying the 5Ghz channel you will be using.

Remember that iLive editor is free and anyone can install in his/her computer therefore you must secure each profile with a password. Being on the same campus network is unacceptable. Once people see what you are doing, they will come and ask and they they will get some ideas. Some of those nerds will be ready to goof around and you cannot afford to tolerate their jokes during real shows.

IDR32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    idontPad1&3
    M-Dante
    M-Waves.

p.s. I have an extra M-MADI card for sale. PM me if you are interested.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.