AES output

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Robert Robert 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

Hello everyone,

My current iLive setup is:
    iDR-32 with Port B ACE
    xDR-16
    T-112

I’m doing some upgrades to the audio system this fall and I’d love to be able to go AES from the iLive to my system DSP. To cover all my mains and fills I need 10 channels of output. How do I get from my current system to AES (or SPDIF)?

-d

Profile photo of inlinemedia
    inlinemedia
    Participant

… future improvements will be aes/ebu outputs on the mixracks – this can be done by upgrading the pcb or directly when ordering … ;)
    (info from the last gld/ilive workshop i visitied 2 weeks ago ;))

by now you can use e.g. the mmo-card – there you get 24 channels in ADAT-format

greetz,
    andie

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

dshriver
    Participant

Interesting. Upgrading the iDR would be a great solution for me. I don’t suppose they shared a time frame with you on this?

Using the ADAT on the mmo card doesn’t get me where I need to go. I’d have to convert the lightpipe to AES to get into my DSP.

If I were to use the mmo card to connect to an iDR-4 with an iDR-DOUT via DR-Link would get me there but that’s lots of extra gear to buy.

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

I’ve done it a few times with MMO + iDR-DOUT. Works great!!

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of teknik99
    teknik99
    Participant

That upgrade path sounds like a fantastic idea if it comes to fruition.

I had been planning to use a MMO with an IDR-Dout in the next few months to acheive what you are trying to do but I might hold off a bit longer.

The problem I have with the MMO option is it takes up a port B slot which is fine most of the time but when we would need to digital split we are going to have to move cards around a bit which ok but not perfect.

Cheers

dshriver
    Participant

Teknik that is my problem exactly. If I put an MMO card in my iDR-32 then it displaces the Port B Ace card I need to run my xDR. I suppose I could buy a 2nd xDR run both xDRs from the Port B Ace and install an MMO in one of the xDR-16s. That’s even more gear to buy!

Does the iDR-DOUT require an iDR-4?

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dshriver

No….. I use an MMO card with the iDR-DOUT into some iTechs. Just two network cables to the DOUT… one for audio and one for metering data. And of course one AES connection to each amp. And you can run two DOUT’s off of the MMO card for 16 channels.

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

teknik99
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dshriver

I suppose I could buy a 2nd xDR run both xDRs from the Port B Ace and install an MMO in one of the xDR-16s. That’s even more gear to buy!

The XDR has a “B” port so as I understand it you could put the MMO in the XDR negating the extra gear requirment but if for instance the XDR is at FOH and your IDR-Dout is on stage you would need more cat 5 cables to run back to it.

No straight out of the IDR-Dout to whatever you want to feed the AES into.

The documentation confirms this and Sam from A & H has also confirmed previously

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by inlinemedia

… future improvements will be aes/ebu outputs on the mixracks – this can be done by upgrading the pcb or directly when ordering … ;)
    (info from the last gld/ilive workshop i visitied 2 weeks ago ;))

Is this true?

If so, please add at least two, better four to eight AES/EBU inputs as well! Many musician use digital equipment, too, like AxeFX or digital wireless mics and I think it would be beneficial to the sound to use their AES/EBU out to stay completely digital.

Profile photo of inlinemedia
    inlinemedia
    Participant

… yes – that’s in the pipeline ;)
    if digital-inputs are planned? i do not have any info …

greetz,
    andie

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

What about using Dante, would give you 64 channels to play with and there is plenty of Dante equipped processing out there.
    If I remember correctly if you included a giggabit switch could you still do your digital split? Not sure about that but I am sure more learned scholars than I will correct me.

teknik99
    Participant

Mr B,

From my point not all speaker manufacturers dedicated speaker processing is currently AVB compliant and hence can not simply be implemented into a Dante network.

True I could go out and replace all my current speaker processors with something like one of the new Lakes and then try and get it to give the same results that the speaker manufacturer wrote in to their processor.

Its a lot of money to spend for a somewhat dubious outcome when having the simple abilty to go from the Ilive in AES directly to existing proceesor gives a predertmined outcome.

In the future when everyone is following AVB and all manufactures follow the protocol yes DANTE all the way.

Cheers

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

i have also heard about AES upgrade option on iDR’S i hope it’s true and will be available soon.

agutin.com
    1x T80
    2x iDR32
    2 X M-MADI CARDS
    2 X M DANTE CARDS
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI
    Macbook Pro,2x Macmini+DVS
    T34-T80-T112-T144
    evolution of SOVIET TANK

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.