LR+M bus assignment

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions LR+M bus assignment

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of byondo byondo 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

I’ve been playing with the various mix bus configuration options, and I can’t figure out the difference between LR+M and LR+M summed. It appears that “M” is just a sum of L+R anyway. If that’s not the case, how do I assign different things to M?

My usage example is trying to use “M” as the subwoofer feed – everything goes to L+R, only selected things go to M. I know I can do this by using a group, but then I don’t understand the point of “M”.

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Hi TJ, the difference is simply that the ‘M’ in LR+M is a separately switched mono mix bus, while the ‘M’ in LR+Msum is a mono sum of the LR mix. In your case the LR+M would be better as you could switch selected channels to feed the M output for the sub.

Press Mix on the main LR master strip and use the Assign key to assign channels to the LR stereo bus. Press Mix on the main M master strip to assign channels to the M bus. Channels can be assigned to both the LR and M buses at the same time. You would want to do that with your sub feed. For example, the kick drum would be assigned to both LR (tops) and M (sub), but a vocal would be assigned to just the LR bus (tops only).

I hope that helps,
    Carey

TJCornish
    Participant

Thanks Carey. I figured I was missing something. I’ll give that a try tonight.

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

TJ –

Perhaps the LRSub template would be what you’re looking for, in your example?

Oops! I just realized we’re talking GLD here, I see there is no LRSub template… nevermind…

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA
    T112/48 R72/32 laptop iPad Dir-815

TJCornish
    Participant

Figured out what I was doing wrong – I kept expecting the selected Chanel lights to light up when I held the Assign button. It took me a while to notice the “ON” indication on the scribble strip.

This was also more difficult than it could have been, since the LR and M outputs do not appear on the routing tab of the input channels, though everything else does – groups, auxes, etc. It would be great if this could be added here.

Thanks for the help.

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

quote:

This was also more difficult than it could have been, since the LR and M outputs do not appear on the routing tab of the input channels, though everything else does – groups, auxes, etc. It would be great if this could be added here.

+100 for me too!!! It seems A&H staff just forget it ;)

Regarding the sub feeding,I use a more versatile solution to this situation (just tried yesterday):
    instead of an “M” group to feed the sub, I simply use a postfader mono aux and put its channel strip just before the “mainLR” one.
    In this way you can control not only the “on/off” presence, but the quantity too, as it’s a normal aux.

regards
    Massimo

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

Ah, another idea for the “routing” page: it would be great if there was some kind of graphics (colors or symbols) to indicate “TO” and “FROM” contributions; in time-critical situations it could save some headaches.

regards
    Massimo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.