iLive with iDR8 and Dante

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions iLive with iDR8 and Dante

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 12 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of yooousuke
    yooousuke
    Participant

Hi,

I have thought the iLive system with iDR system. Is that possibles to make this system?

EMaster:iLive 80 Surface and iDR10 Mixrack via ACE card fitted in portA of each RAB2
    ESlave:iLive 112 Surface and iDR10 Mixrack via ACE card fitted in portA of each RAB2

ELink for Master and Slave via ACE card fitted in portB of each RAB2

EMMO card fitted in portB open of RAB2 in iLive 80 Surface as Master is used for connection to iDR8 system .
    EDante card fitted in portB open of RAB2 in iLive 112 Surface as Slave is used for connection to another Dante device.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yosuke

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Hi Yosuke,

The quick answer is no.
    You can only link the two systems using the PortB on both with either Ace or Dante on both.
    At this point, the only way to get two protocols going with these multi systems is to use some protocol converter boxes. And those are few and far between.
    You could do your entire system with Dante and add an iDR-0 with Dante on PortA and MMO on PortB , but even that is not tested and really expensive. But it would also give you Dante, iDrAudio and Aviom, which would be very helpful.

This would be easily resolved if AH released a protocol converter using their existing cards as options.. I would tend to think that most of the r&d is already done. Just use the iDR-o as a starting point. Heck, i dont even care if they dumb iDR-0 down to routing only and cut the price to a third. :-)

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by co_yosuke

EMaster:iLive 80 Surface and iDR10 Mixrack via ACE card fitted in portA of each RAB2
    ESlave:iLive 112 Surface and iDR10 Mixrack via ACE card fitted in portA of each RAB2

ELink for Master and Slave via ACE card fitted in portB of each RAB2

EMMO card fitted in portB open of RAB2 in iLive 80 Surface as Master is used for connection to iDR8 system .

Yes, this is possible, though some limitations apply to the MMO card when fitted in Port B of a Surface. Only the first iDR output port is available for example.

I’m assuming Master and Slave here refer to the clock Master and Slave units in a split FOH/Mon setup.

quote:

Originally posted by co_yosuke

EDante card fitted in portB open of RAB2 in iLive 112 Surface as Slave is used for connection to another Dante device.

This is not possible. The M-MMO card is the only option card supported in Port B of a modular Surface. You can still connect an xDR-16 expander to the Master MixRack Port B ACE (Link 2) and fit a Dante card in the expander Port B slot. This would enable 64ch Dante outputs and 16ch Dante inputs on your iLive system.

Hope this helps

Nicola
    A&H

gilparente
    Participant

Hi Nicola,

Although theoreticaly possible, it is still not possible to use Dante on a portB of either a xDR or other iDr because of clocking issues. At this point the Dante card is not able to receive clock through the second unit in a dual rack or expended system. I have tested this and this problem has been confirmed with AH guys. I hope you dont believe me and try it yourself in a real scenario. That way i wouldnt be the only on with this conclusion. :-)

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Gil,

Thanks for your feedback.

Since ACE is being used as the digital split between the two systems, there is no sync issue at all.
    The setup as described will work fine as long as the system with the M-Dante card is the Master Clock on the Dante network. With the Dante Virtual Soundcard this isn’t a problem as the DVS is always slave. If this system is to be linked to third party Dante devices, then these devices must be set as slave too.

Nicola
    A&H

gilparente
    Participant

Hi Nicola,
    iLive 112 surface with Dante on PortB:
    Even if clocking is not an issue, wont you stil be limited to only 32 channels of audio between surface and rack? So your Dante routing would be limited to that, right? (just asking, not doubting. :-)
    I guess it wouldnt be an issue with MMO at the surface.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Gil,

Sorry that wasn’t clear. Dante is not supported in the Surface Port B. The M-MMO is the only option card supported in Port B of a modular Surface (30 channels only as described in the module Fitting Instructions).

I suggested Yosuke to fit M-Dante in an xDR-16, hence the limitations with clocking (must be master in the Dante network) and channel count (64 outputs to Dante, 16 inputs from Dante available).

Nicola

gilparente
    Participant

Ok. That is clear to me.
    Here is the system that I tried to make work and could not, but maybe you have answered it on the last post.

DUAL RACK FOH
    FOH iDR48 – PortB=ACE
    FOH iDR16 – PortB=DANTE

MON iDR48 – PortB=DANTE

Digital split via Dante.

What is your recommended clock settings, if the systems is possible.?

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by gilparente

What is your recommended clock settings, if the systems is possible.?

FOH system set to Internal Clock in Mixer Preferences / Audio Sync
    MON system set to Sync from Port B in Mixer Preferences / Audio Sync
    Dante card (FOH) set to Grand Master and Slave to External Clock in Dante Controller
    Dante card (MON) both clock options disabled in Dante Controller

If you experience problems with the above configuration, please visit our Support Home here https://www.allen-heath.com/uk/support/Pages/support.aspx and submit a ticket to Tech Support.

Nicola

gilparente
    Participant

Hi Nicola,

That was exactly the clock config that I had. Still had clocking issues. From what tech support was able to tell me, it had something to do with portB on the dual rack mode not being able to receive clock.

On a related question:
    Can sync be set to portB on the second rack, in a dual rack scenario?
    Thx

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by gilparente

On a related question:
    Can sync be set to portB on the second rack, in a dual rack scenario?

I’m afraid this is not possible. It’s been logged in our feature request list and under consideration for future updates.

Nicola

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.