M-Waves mic split, REC, sound check, & processing

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions M-Waves mic split, REC, sound check, & processing

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of inlinemedia inlinemedia 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John-Peak
    John-Peak
    Participant

will the M-Waves card work for doing a Mic split, daw recording and Sound Grid plugins at the same time?

I was looking at using the dante cards but if the M-Wave card will do all of the same things and leave the option to add a SG setup later I might go that way instead.

here is the proposed setup.

FOH> T112-iDr16
    Monitor world> T80-iDr48
    Broadcast mix> T80-iDr16
    computer DAW
    computer ilive ediror

Could I run a M-Waves card in each of the racks to a switch and route all of the channels from the monitor rack to the FOH, Broadcast, and a computer to record to a daw and also playback in to the consoles for virtual soundcheck.

does this make sense? What am I missing or overlooking?

John Peak

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi John

The main limitation with what you want to do here is that m-Waves module cannot currently send audio clock syncronisation over the Waves network. Therefore you would need to send a seperate audio clock between each of the systems.
    With the iLive range this is only possible with a the M-MADI module and the RAB2 module which only fits into an iDR0 and iDR10. The RAB2 has a BNC’s fitted to the module sync In & Out connectors that would allow you to distribute audio clock source.
    The fixed format mixracks do not have this option (iDR16, iDR48, iDR64).
    The only way you could do this is if you had iDR10 mixracks for all of your systems i’m afraid.

Dante will allow audio clocks to be carried over the Dante network so this is probably the better option for you to go for.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of John-Peak
    John-Peak
    Participant

bummer…

John Peak

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

The audio sync could be derived from the audio signal itself, it’s just a matter of programming.But anyway, just use Dante with Virtual SoundCard on your PC and the regular Waves MultiRack. Dante is a far better choice as more and more speaker controllers, amplifiers and so on get Dante interfaces too, so you’ll need only a ring of Ethernet cabling some day.

Profile photo of inlinemedia
    inlinemedia
    Participant

… but the dante basic latency from the virtual soundcard itself is minimum 4ms !!!
    and with m-waves you just have the driver-latency (asio/coreaudio) which you can get down 80 samples ;) … that makes 1,67ms @ 48k !
    i have tested this with multirack native (with native plugs) and it worked very well with the lowest buffersize on my macbook pro (13″, core2duo 2,53ghz, 8gb ram, rme fireface400)

so – for me m-waves is THE card … you can process live-sound with a soundgrid-server (then you can run plugs with very low latency) AND you can do live-recordings at the same time (up to 64 ! channels)

greetz,
    andie

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

I don’t see a problem with that as long as you don’t use plugins on the monitor signal of percussive instruments. Many people are using plugins via Dante, it seems to work for them. I haven’t tried myself, but I have worked with Waves MixRack on vocals, guitar and bass with a simple USB-audio interface which gave me about 6.5ms system latency, even on “monitored” channels. Nobody noticed a delay, so… why not give it a try? Maybe someone will lend you a Dante card for a test…

Profile photo of inlinemedia
    inlinemedia
    Participant

sure! it works with dante, of course (multirack native).
    but you also have the license issues …
    and latency is (especially in smaller venues) a problem (not only on monitors)
    with waves i can use natives, tdms with/without soundgrid server, with/without recording/playback … fine!

greetz,
    andie

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.