Updating scenes…

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Updating scenes…

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds dnxmirrorsounds 12 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

Ok this takes way too long…
    It’s a joke for trying to run a theatre show!
    Also where are scene fade times?

Current stock:
    2x T112, 2x R72, 2x iDR-48, 2x iDR-16, 2x xDR-16
    4x Dante Cards, 3x ACE Cards

frozenwaffles
    Participant

Also loosing control over the sound system while updating (particularly because this takes so long) is just a joke!
    Fix this please!

Current stock:

Profile photo of David-Luscombe
    David-Luscombe
    Participant

The length of time it takes to update depends on what is being updated. I just finished doing a Theatre show and all i had being updated or saved in a scene was levels, mutes, channel strip comp and EQ setting and it was very short. On the other hand if you are updating EVERYTHING that can be included in a scene then yes it takes a while.

frozenwaffles
    Participant

I’m sorry but I do t understand David…
    When we hit update it should update/store all the changes you have made to the scene since you last stored it no?
    Or does update just store everything? I. The sense that it’s not really update but rather store all?
    And while we are there why does store all work faster than update? What is the difference?

Current stock:

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Frozenwaffles – no Update simply updates all the parameters ALREADY STORED in a scene. So if you update a scene that has everything stored in it then that is the same as using store all. However if you update a scene with (for example) just Mutes, levels and assignments already stored then it will update just those parameters. Note that to use update – you first have to save a scene that has just the parameters you want. To do that you have to use the scene edit function and add only the parameters that you want stored to the scene. For theatre Shows where many scenes are required with progressive changes you then copy this custom scene to many locations. Then go back to the first scene and as you make changes from this point use the Update scene button. I generally don’t use store all for any scenes except for initial set up scene/s – and update that scene at the end of each rehearsal. The scene system is a bit clumsy but can work ok with Theatre if you do the above – however scene FADE TIMES would make it so much better!
    You will find that the scenes recall MUCH quicker with less stored in them!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of David-Luscombe
    David-Luscombe
    Participant

+1 to what Richard said. This is what i was trying to say. I still dont understand the need for fade times between scenes. why would that be needed?

Cheers Dave

frozenwaffles
    Participant

Ok richard, thats the first bit of informative scene information i have read in a long time regarding this console. i’ll inform my engineers…
    I still think this system is very clumsy and needs a rework…and much better documentatio0n…hey maybe even an online tutorial!

David, scene fade times are 100% essential for a theare show. you may need to program a fade out rather than just a snap. you may want an actors mic to slowly fade as they walk off stage…
    the list goes on and on and on!
    Imagine going to see a thatre show with a lighting console that could only do snaps for lighting changes….OMG so ugly! its just the same with good sound design and creativity…

Current stock:

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

You mainly need fade in/ out time for channel levels – take a 30 strong theatre cast with omni head mics singing a big crescendo finish to a song – then loud crowd applause. If your scene just mutes all these live mics then the crowd noise picked up by those mics would suddenly stop. This would be very noticeable in the main PA or to any monitor mix, record feed etc. The same applies to turning many mics on at once – very noticeable unless they are faded in. This could be for example when cast are singing as they arrive or leave the stage. At the moment we have to use DCA’s to fade manually and that can mean complex DCA assignments stored to scenes. A 2-5 sec scene fade would be a more sublte change than the current instant scene change and make programming much easier. The distinction between the way lighting and sound boards work is getting closer all the time. I’d like to see fade in/ wait/ fade out times to be part of the scene globally as well as fade and wait times for individual channels that override the global scene setting. Let’s hope…..

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Haha. Snap! Same answer lol

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

I find the time to save an edited scene to take a while too.

If it is just faders, mutes and FX its OK but if there is channel settings and aux levels etc too it can take a full minute to store: really challenging when you are rehearsing and the vocalists all put their mics down on the stage near the wedges while I have no control.

workable but annoying.

Duncan Whitcombe
    Mirror Sounds & metrochurch
    Perth, Australia
    T112, iDR48x2, Dante soon
    http://www.mirrorsounds.com.au
    http://www.metrochurch.org.au

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.