Stange editor/rack connection issues

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Stange editor/rack connection issues

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dvdhout dvdhout 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dymondaudio
    dymondaudio
    Participant

Hi all, I am new to the forum but have been using iLive (iDR32 + iPad + editor) for some time now.

Doing a theatre show this week and having a bit of a headache with connection issues, I have been using a MacBook Pro running editor (latest firmware etc. etc.) 5GHz wifi connection

Rehearsal(WiFi only) = Faultless
    Show night 1 (WiFi only) = Halfway through show ‘System Busy’, drops connection, reset router & no joy had to reset mix rack to solve.
    Show night 2 (VanDamme Tour Cat) = Faultless
    Show night 3 (VanDamme Tour Cat) = First act – ‘System Busy’ for about 3 minutes so closed editor & restarted editor – can’t see mix rack to connect, restarted MacBook, opended editor – still can’t see rack. Had to run down to back stage & restart mix rack, took about 10 mins to see mix rack and after that no problems for the rest of the night.

Very nervous about tonights show!

I thought using a Cat5 would be (almost) bombproof in terms in reliability.

Any ideas?

Profile photo of Lou-Hemming
    Lou-Hemming
    Participant

Hmmm on the wifi have you enabled the multicast feature on your router? I had this on wifi a couple times when using ipad/MacBook pro combo and that was the problem.

dymondaudio
    Participant

Yeah, definitely got multicast enabled. Still wouldn’t explain the issues when only using cat5 and the wifi is off. Also, for this show because I have to sit in a ‘booth’ I havent been using the iPad only editor. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

Sounds like the only constant between the WiFi & Cat5 would be the network switch on the iDR. Might be worth raising a ticket with A&H…

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

Ok, here’s a question with a bit more discussion as well. Were you connected to the iDR network directly or via the switch ports on your router and just disabled the wireless? I ask because I have lost connection and had meter freezing when tied directly to the router via CAT5. I could always reconnect without rebooting the iDR so I’ve not seen your issue but was wondering if connecting directly to an iDR port would eliminate any issues caused by routers.

I think I’ve also seen issues with my laptop when it decided to try and find an update for some software during a show. I’ve had Windows automatic updates and everything else automatic I could find turned off and it still would have an update dialog window pop up. It seemed like that happened when I was losing the connection. And even stranger is that I didn’t even have an Internet connection available in the room, just my wireless router so I wonder if it was trying to find an access point with internet access or if that’s even possible for the system to do. Always bugs me when those windows pop up in the middle of something else. They should give us notice when we run that paticular software that it needs updating, not all other times of the day when we aren’t even using it. [:(!]

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

dymondaudio
    Participant

Thanks for the replys, the cat5 is connected directly to the iDR and have the wifi router switched off.

I think it may have been a ip address conflict.

Would that explain it?

I set a static ip on my mac (well I think I have anyway) and last nights show went without a hitch.
    I still had system busy a couple of times but for less than 5 secs at a time.

Matt

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

Yep, I’ve had issues crop up because of ip problems, conflicts or settings. I’ve had wireless interfaces as well as the wired LAN revert to DHCP from connecting to other outside sources and when I try to connect to the iDR the next time will be no go until I reset back to my manual address. Even forgot a piece of gear once when I set up MAC address filtering on the router and was tearing my hair out because I couldn’t connect when it had worked fine before. It’s easy to forget the wireless and the wired LAN are different entities and both need to be set correctly as well. I have the problem of tending to lump them together and forget to check.

quote:

Originally posted by dymondaudio

Thanks for the replys, the cat5 is connected directly to the iDR and have the wifi router switched off.

I think it may have been a ip address conflict.

Would that explain it?

I set a static ip on my mac (well I think I have anyway) and last nights show went without a hitch.

Matt

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Think it gets us all from time to time. The whole network address thing is so important, I admit if I have been using the tablet for system tuning on Lake then switch to wanting editor I scratch my head for a few seconds before remembering to change the IP settings, but hey we are all fallible. I will most likely end up buying another tablet so I keep one permanently for Editor in a drawer in the FOH rack with a big label saying iLive that way even I should not get it wrong.[:D]

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Matt

Is it also possible that you still have airport enabled while being connected with a cable? airport still searches for available wifi, that can “lag” the mac’s response as it is trying to connect to either ethernet or wifi……….the original post does sound like ip address conflict when you are connected to wi fi……I’ve done numerous shows with a surface + 2 connected editor sessions and one wireless editor session (w/an ipod touch and an iphone remote for setups), I’ve noticed that, if for some reason we’d loose the wifi editor session, trying to reconnect it on the fly would “freeze” the system briefly……

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

dymondaudio
    Participant

Thanks for the replies people, I’m pretty certain it was an ip conflict as its been fine since I set up the static ip.

Ive created network profiles for iLive cat5 and iLive wifi plus general Internet so hopefully I should not have a problem again.

Just as an aside, I absolutely love the iLive even without a surface it’s still a joy to use.
    Abit like the mobile phone, how did I cope before!?!

Profile photo of reubenong
    reubenong
    Participant

I have been having a lot of networking problems with the ilive recently. I am running an iLive T112 and an IDr-48. Editor connection is mainly used as a tracking backup for the console.

Previously I had no issues with both wireless and wired connection. However, in the recent months, it’s like a sudden onset of problems where I get the cannot establish connection MSG on the editor. There were no changes made to the boards’s ip settings and for my MAcbook Pro, I had a specific wireless and wired configuration for the iLive (static ip, gateway, router, etc) iLive is not on DHCP.

I am getting rather frustrated as it was just a sudden onset with no reason. I have tried various other networking configurations but still have the prob. Even my iPad Mixpad and itweak cannot be connected. Best thing is, when on wired connection, I can see the surface on the editor but still cannot get the connection.

Has anyone else faced this problem and could guide me ion solving this? Or does anyone have a network configuration that you could perhaps share with me so I can try?

Thanks all.

Reuben

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

Hey

I used to get this and it always turned out to be my own fault for having aiport turned on previously and then connecting cat cable to laptop. I make a rule of a fresh boot of laptop before showtime and connecting cat cable after laptops wireless has been turned off. No problems since.

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Ipad2 + mixpad
    Aiport express

Profile photo of scratchedguitar
    scratchedguitar
    Participant

Getting a very strange issue, whereby editor will get either

‘See’ the rack but come up with a connection error on attempting a connection

‘See’ the rack, come up with the user page, login and get to 13% before dropping the connection…

This is over ethernet, directly into the rack… Any suggestions?

FoH Sound Engineer Plymouth Students Union

dymondaudio
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by scratchedguitar

‘See’ the rack, come up with the user page, login and get to 13% before dropping the connection…

Assuming you are just using a computer (rather than a surface) it sounds most likely to be an ip address conflict between your computer and rack. We’re based in Cornwall if we can help any further.

Cheers
    Matt

idr-32 & T80 + iPad2/Editor

Profile photo of scratchedguitar
    scratchedguitar
    Participant

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by scratchedguitar

Assuming you are just using a computer (rather than a surface) it sounds most likely to be an ip address conflict between your computer and rack. We’re based in Cornwall if we can help any further.

Cheers
    Matt

idr-32 & T80 + iPad2/Editor

:/ don’t think it is

I’m running two systems both getting the same issue

System 1

Acer laptop
    static ip 192.168.1.30
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.254

System 2

Macbook running Mountain Lion
    Windows 7 in parallels (Bridged ethernet mode)

Mac
    gateway 192.168.1.254

Win7
    gateway 192.168.1.254

Exactly the same issue occuring…

(Macbook and Acer were not connected at the same time)

This seems to occur both in Mixrack only and surface and mixrack mode.

The ‘unsupported’ Mountain Lion version connects every third/forth time in Surface with Mixrack mode.

Any thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.