External FX

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RayS RayS 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #23052
    Profile photo of blackrob
    blackrob
    Participant

    My vocalist has a harmoniser (VoiceLive 2) that I need to connect as an external effect unit. She will be the only input (mono mic), and the output will be stereo.

    I’ve achieved this by setting a direct out on the vocal mic into the unit, and a stereo input back from the unit, mapped to the main bus.

    Are there other/better ways to do this? In the manual there is some discussion of FX short/long returns, but I didn’t fully understand. Is a long return what I need?

    Rob

    #29494
    Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

    Rob,

    The short returns are dedicated returns for the 8 onboard FX. So basically you can use the OB FX without eating any of the 64 channel strips available. You can return the OB FX through channel strips (long)if desired as well. That will give you the full processing capabilities of a channel strip. The short returns provide a parametric and Dynamic FX which gives some ducking or gating.

    I don’t believe you can return any external inputs through the short returns.

    Hope this helps!

    Scott

    iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

    #29496
    Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by blackrob

    My vocalist has a harmoniser (VoiceLive 2) that I need to connect as an external effect unit. She will be the only input (mono mic), and the output will be stereo.

    I’ve achieved this by setting a direct out on the vocal mic into the unit, and a stereo input back from the unit, mapped to the main bus.

    Are there other/better ways to do this? In the manual there is some discussion of FX short/long returns, but I didn’t fully understand. Is a long return what I need?

    Rob


    Think of the short/long returns in terms of latency…..short = the shortest signal route possible, as it is internal this will also achieve the shortest latency. Long is the longest route for your signal since it has to go through the ad/da process a few times and therefore will induce longer latency.

    For external processing you could use iLive’s inserts function (press sel on a strip).

    RayS

    R-72/iDR32/iPS10

    #29497
    Profile photo of blackrob
    blackrob
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by sraymond

    The short returns are dedicated returns for the 8 onboard FX. So basically you can use the OB FX without eating any of the 64 channel strips available. You can return the OB FX through channel strips (long)if desired as well. That will give you the full processing capabilities of a channel strip. The short returns provide a parametric and Dynamic FX which gives some ducking or gating.

    I don’t believe you can return any external inputs through the short returns.

    Hope this helps!

    Scott


    Thanks Scott. Sounds like I’m doing something reasonable!

    #29498
    Profile photo of blackrob
    blackrob
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by RayS

    Think of the short/long returns in terms of latency…..short = the shortest signal route possible, as it is internal this will also achieve the shortest latency. Long is the longest route for your signal since it has to go through the ad/da process a few times and therefore will induce longer latency.

    For external processing you could use iLive’s inserts function (press sel on a strip).

    RayS

    R-72/iDR32/iPS10


    I see. The unit has digital IO. Would it be a good idea to try and get this working?

    #29499
    Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by blackrob

    quote:


    Originally posted by RayS

    Think of the short/long returns in terms of latency…..short = the shortest signal route possible, as it is internal this will also achieve the shortest latency. Long is the longest route for your signal since it has to go through the ad/da process a few times and therefore will induce longer latency.

    For external processing you could use iLive’s inserts function (press sel on a strip).

    RayS

    R-72/iDR32/iPS10


    I see. The unit has digital IO. Would it be a good idea to try and get this working?


    You could use the spdif i/o from the surface as inserts sends and returns.

    RayS

    R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.