Dante – recording to Logic on a Mac

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dante – recording to Logic on a Mac

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pealsound pealsound 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pealsound
    pealsound
    Participant

Hi

This should be simple shouldn’t it. No switches, routers, second mix racks or surfaces, I just want to record and play back straight from a mix rack.

I’ve been trying out my new Dante card. It’s in port B of my IDR48 (I have a T112 surface) everything on firmware 1.82

I’m using Logic (version 8) on a MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.8)

I can get stuff out of the mix rack and record it in Logic (and Garage Band) but I can not get it to play back into the mixer. I’ve got channels assigned as port B Dante inputs and the computer appears to be happily playing back (i can hear it if I switch to internal speakers). I have tried two different cat5 cables, both under 5 metres long, rebooting after every little adjustment to various settings. I’ve decided to give up before I pull out what’s left of my hair:-)

Any thoughts as to what I’m doing wrong?

IDR48 – T112 – MMO card

Profile photo of CHRISN
    CHRISN
    Participant

make sure your logic outputs(in channel strips) are going to DVS NOT ” Stereo Out” and that correspond with the inputs on your mix rack. Also check if you have DVS or (mac book pro) transmitting to your idr in dante controller.

if your just trying to send your Logic stereo bus to you mix rack

go to preferences > audio > i/o assignments

under outputs

you should be able to select 1 – 64 or depending how big you set your i/o in dvs

also on a side note make sure your sample rates match 48 000 khz

in logic default is 44 100

MacBook 13in penryn
    MacBook pro 13in i5 2.3
    Ipad2
    Glyph external hd
    Idr-32
    Dante card
    Tp link router

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Also – Have you patched your macbookpro output channels to the IDR input channels in dante controller?

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

pealsound
    Participant

Thanks for those.

The Mac outputs are patched to the BKLYN2 card for ins and out in Dante Controler.

Logic has Dante selected as it’s audio engine and is recording fine, but playback is not making it to the mixer.

Mac audio output (in system preferences/audio) is set to Dante but nothing is getting out to the mixer.

Still stuck…

IDR48 – T112 – MMO card

Profile photo of BerndVP
    BerndVP
    Participant

Do you have routed the channels from DVS to Dante Card MixRack in the Dante Controller software correctly ?!

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Check if:
    track signal –> dvs tx channel (logic)
    dvs tx channel –> mixrack rx channel (dante controller)
    mixrack rx channel as source for a mixer channel in iLive.

Don’t be fooled by the IO patch panel view, that shows dante tx, unless you click I/O in the editor. If you click a dante channel, the corresponding mixer channel will turn yellow.

Hint:
    – Make two “patchbay only” scenes (one ‘normal’, one ‘computer’)
    – You can assign a Dante rx channel to a mixer channel by dragging the dante channel (io screen) to an input strip when in IO mode.
    – Or use the preamp section of every channel to assign the input source to a Dante rx channel.

Check connection status of dvs (dvs)
    Volumes up in both DAW and Mixrack. (i know, it’s ‘obvious’)

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

pealsound
    Participant

Turns out it looks like a software problem.

Is anybody running DVS and Dante controller on a mac running OS 10.5.8 ?

The tech spec says it should be ok but I’ve found my laptop is not getting the correct clock, therefore will not play back into the system. When I look at Dante Controller, under the “Clock Status” tab, the Mac’s primary interface clock status is “listening”. It should be “slave”.

Have had a long discussion with A&H tech support & we can’t work out how to change this.

To verify the problem, I installed DVS and Controller on my other machine (with a 14 day license) which is running 10.7.3 and everything is fine.

Anybody working with Mac OS 10.5.8. If so what versions of the software are you running?

I’m on DVS: version 3.2.1
    Dante Controller: version 3.1.2

Cheers
    J

IDR48 – T112 – Dante card

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I had a problem initially setting up Dante on a MBP. See here: https://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1619&SearchTerms=Conmon

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

pealsound
    Participant

Thanks Richard

I tried the con_mon thing but it hasn’t worked for me. I have a different issue I think. All the information is being displayed, it’s just not the information I want to see!

I’ll ask Audinate what they think…

Profile photo of neve1064
    neve1064
    Participant

sorry for reviving a 10 month old thread but I’m having the same problem. Did you ever get it resolved?

pealsound
    Participant

No. Never got resolved on my old mac (OS 10.5). Ended up using a brand new mac with the latest OS. Audinate gave me a free key for DVS on the new machine because their spec stated it should have worked with my original setup.

Now it all runs perfectly. Occasionally the controller software fails to make all the routes between Brooklyn and mac (I use 32 in, 32 out) but I always check and manually correct if necessary.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.