Why is my Editor sometimes laggy?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Why is my Editor sometimes laggy?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of timtrace timtrace 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

Greetings,

In the Editor software, I’ve noticed that the real-time screen updates for things like Gain Reduction seem to lag behind. Sometimes when I click on a virtual fader and pull it down a few dB, the fader seems to stick, then jumps to the new setting. And often my delay tapped tempos don’t audibly match with the tapped rythm, and the display LED blinks in odd patterns.

Has anyone else experienced similar behavior?

I have an iDR-32 running v1.8.3. I don’t own a surface, so I always control the mixer with the Editor. I use softkey simulation for delay tap tempos.

My primary control station is a notebook with a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM with an ATI display adapter. Sometimes I use a different notebook, with a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 6GB of RAM with an ATI display adapter. Sometimes I use both notebooks together, one at FOH and one side-stage. In both cases the OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

The lagginess doesn’t seem to be isolated to a particular notebook.

Has anyone else seen something similar?

Thank you!

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

Should we assume you are on wi-fi?

IDR32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    idontPad1&2
    M-Dante.

timtrace
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by letmefix

Should we assume you are on wi-fi?

Thanks. I’m always hard wired, always directly into the Network ports on the iDR-32.

Profile photo of steve-s
    steve-s
    Participant

Hi,

Is it in any way possible that the long network cable you are using is not wired correctly?

Cheers

Steve

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Seems like problem in configuration of OS try to turn of all fierwall and other network stuff in windows, switch on multicast on iDR. I had similar problem on my Motion computer LE1700 when i changed it to MacBookPro the problem dissapeared.

agutin.com
    1x T80
    2x iDR32
    2 X M-MADI CARDS
    2 X M DANTE CARDS
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI
    Macbook Pro,2x Macmini+DVS
    T34-T80-T112-T144
    evolution of SOVIET TANK

timtrace
    Participant

Thanks, guys. The armored CAT-5 cable has been certified. I’ll try the Multicast setting at the next show.

timtrace
    Participant

I was wondering … the iDR-32 has two network ports … are those on an internal hub, or switch? Because if they’re on a hub, there’s chatter on the network between my two Editor computers. Thank you :)

Profile photo of joefi
    joefi
    Participant

hi timtrace,
    read this: iDR MixRack Getting Started Guide page5 AP7445 iss.3

it’s an 3 port switch

regards ……….. joe

my setup: iDR32 w. Laptop / IPad1

timtrace
    Participant

Bump….enabling multicast appears to have cured my lagginess. Thanks for the handholding, guys :)

By the way — I had playback running through my system when I rebooted the iDR to enable multicast. Won’t do that again, intentionally. I’m lucky I didn’t lose an HF driver or two or three.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.